Geddy explains his flamenco bass playing technique

EagleMoon

Does he have a bit of a cold there or maybe a sore throat? It sounds like he's coddling his voice a bit.

Does he have a bit of a cold there or maybe a sore throat? It sounds like he's coddling his voice a bit.

Serious...? You complain on his voice even when he talk...?

I think it does sound like he's a little hoarse. Maybe they recorded this interview during rehearsals before the tour.

I think it does sound like he's a little hoarse. Maybe they recorded this interview during rehearsals before the tour.

Could be.

• Like 1

Serious...? You complain on his voice even when he talk...?

I not complain in that post.

• Like 4

My only" complain" is why has not he make an instructional ??...a lot betta than most around! Thanks for posting

You're welcome. I've always hoped Geddy would make a bass DVD. Maybe he will when they quit touring.

• Like 1

My only" complain" is why has not he make an instructional ??...a lot betta than most around! Thanks for posting

You're welcome. I've always hoped Geddy would make a bass DVD. Maybe he will when they quit touring.

Ditto for Alex

• Like 1

Ditto for Alex

But at least Alex has released the instructional videos for GarageBand.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

That's true...I was thinking of a DVD, though...

Ditto for Alex

But at least Alex has released the instructional videos for GarageBand.

I can see Gedd more open to discuss his playing approach than before....it seems that not playing only Fenders has opened new horizons for him to share not only his basses on tour but his knowledge with Rush bass fans....welcomed!....I personally think this IS not their last tour....I think.... :codger:

• Like 1

I can see Gedd more open to discuss his playing approach than before....it seems that not playing only Fenders has opened new horizons for him to share not only his basses on tour but his knowledge with Rush bass fans....welcomed!....I personally think this IS not their last tour....I think.... :codger:

Yeah I know what you mean. :D

You know, I would love to watch a video like that, but I wonder if it would help me. I've been playing stringed instruments for 30 years, and I still cannot master the YYZ lick. I've watched youtube instructional videos, I've studied the tabs, I've tried playing it slowly, I've tried to just get in the zone and let my fingers take over. I can't frickin' get it. What is the goddamned secret?? It could be that I just suck at bass. . .

• Like 1

You know, I would love to watch a video like that, but I wonder if it would help me. I've been playing stringed instruments for 30 years, and I still cannot master the YYZ lick. I've watched youtube instructional videos, I've studied the tabs, I've tried playing it slowly, I've tried to just get in the zone and let my fingers take over. I can't frickin' get it. What is the goddamned secret?? It could be that I just suck at bass. . .

Are you talking about the little 5 second bass solo parts? Those are tough.

Probably not even Gedd knows how he came with those parts, he just did them....he is so funky I can not even believe it sometimes ( a whole lot funkier than a lot of the so called Funk Players!)....I´d rather watch a Gedd Instructional video on any given day that a lot of the stuff is coming out of Hollywood I swear, even if I can not master the licks!!.... :geddy:
  • Like 1

No - just the main riff - the triplet feel thing between the A on the G string and the F# on the D string. Can't articulate those notes at all. Drives me mental.

No - just the main riff - the triplet feel thing between the A on the G string and the F# on the D string. Can't articulate those notes at all. Drives me mental.

I learned that song using a pick. It helped me get the attack down.

I learned that song using a pick. It helped me get the attack down.

Interesting. I could try that. There's this bass player on youtube who's pretty slick. He explains in great detail how to get the triplet feel - index (A) and middle (A), then drop the middle finger to the D string (F#), then index back to the G string (A). Simple, right? But I can't get it. Grr arrgg.

One of these days. I'm not the most patient cat, which is part of the problem. I guess I just have to keep at it.

• Like 1