Neil a phony??

nicky6

I'm sure that tons of tickets will get dumped onto Stubhub because of this egregious misstatement.

Waiting, not yet. Still waiting, not yet. Hmm, maybe it won't happen.

Is there a rule somewhere that every time a rock star opens his mouth in an interview that he must not offend anyone? Ged dropped a bunch of F bombs in the interview... are the thought police starting a shameful thread about that?

If you're upset about Neil's opinions, you really don't understand Rush. They've been doing what they want and saying what they want for years. And now at this point, they really don't give a F if you don't like it. So pull your panties out of your crack and get over it.

Indeed,

Neil may be a knobhead, an introvert, an asshole, maybe even on the autistic spectrum.

He can certainly play the drums and that is what I buy my ticket to see.

So we are attacking disorders affecting the disabled now? Would that make him less of a human being?

Foot of 73 is coming.

I'm sure that tons of tickets will get dumped onto Stubhub because of this egregious misstatement.

Waiting, not yet. Still waiting, not yet. Hmm, maybe it won't happen.

Is there a rule somewhere that every time a rock star opens his mouth in an interview that he must not offend anyone? Ged dropped a bunch of F bombs in the interview... are the thought police starting a shameful thread about that?

If you're upset about Neil's opinions, you really don't understand Rush. They've been doing what they want and saying what they want for years. And now at this point, they really don't give a F if you don't like it. So pull your panties out of your crack and get over it.

Indeed,

Neil may be a knobhead, an introvert, an asshole, maybe even on the autistic spectrum.

He can certainly play the drums and that is what I buy my ticket to see.

Now he may even be autistic.I think everybody is losing their minds.

• Like 1

Name me one politician who can't be connected to a controversial topic or situation?

Anyway, my concern/disappointment with Neil Peart is with how he seemed to rely on talking points to make a political point. He was an artist I admired in my youth because he seemed to express opinions in an openminded way. His lyrics and opinions seemed universal. Now, they come across as lock stepped and spoon fed. He expressed himself in a very un-individual way. Of course, the interview is possibly out of context. We'll see.

• Like 1

Geez, are there this many right wing Rush nerds? LOL. You guys are following the wrong band. They're CANADIAN. Duh. ;)

Seriously, though...not sure American nationalism and prog rock go hand in hand. :D

Geez, are there this many right wing Rush nerds? LOL. You guys are following the wrong band. They're CANADIAN. Duh. ;)

Seriously, though...not sure American nationalism and prog rock go hand in hand. :D

This has nothing to do with the topic. Who is discussing American nationalism?

• Like 2

you clearly have not peeked into SOCN

• Like 1

Oops. Reach a little farther, buddy.

I have a tiny brain. I have no idea how this pertains to the topic, buddy.

I don't even know what SOCN is. Is that a sub forum somewhere on here?

I stick to the three main Rush forums at the top of the page pretty much. :)

Still, if there are this many red white and bruised neo-cons who dig Rush....that's far more shocking than Neil Peart advocating against racism. :)

• Like 1

Well, everybody evolves at their own individual rate, man. It's all good.

Well, everybody evolves at their own individual rate, man. It's all good.

Indeed.

Name me one politician who can't be connected to a controversial topic or situation?

Anyway, my concern/disappointment with Neil Peart is with how he seemed to rely on talking points to make a political point. He was an artist I admired in my youth because he seemed to express opinions in an openminded way. His lyrics and opinions seemed universal. Now, they come across as lock stepped and spoon fed. He expressed himself in a very un-individual way. Of course, the interview is possibly out of context. We'll see.

:goodone:

Hint the "N" doesn't mean neocon.

I'd go search for it, but I don't really care. :)

Edit: Haha,okay, I see. Def shows how little I look at the bottom end of the forum page. Yeah, political forums on the internet are a lot like sticking your dick in a cheese grater. Can be done. Unwise nonetheless. :)

Edited by Bard

Good for you. I've never been there either. I believe it stands for "Sense O Clock News" which is where you can go discuss heavy topics such as politics and religion. There are strict rules over there, and I believe you can get kicked out if you're too overbearing with your posts. Whenever topics on another board tend to stray in that direction, the moderator will "move" the discussion there.

• Like 1

I believe it stands for "Sense O Clock News" which is where you can go discuss heavy topics such as politics and religion. There are strict rules over there, and I believe you can get kicked out if you're too overbearing with your posts. Whenever topics on another board tend to stray in that direction, the moderator will "move" the discussion there.

There are rules, pretty clear rules. Moderation is NOT overbearing, the refs let the players play the game.

• Like 3

Good for you. I've never been there either. I believe it stands for "Sense O Clock News" which is where you can go discuss heavy topics such as politics and religion. There are strict rules over there, and I believe you can get kicked out if you're too overbearing with your posts. Whenever topics on another board tend to stray in that direction, the moderator will "move" the discussion there.

:unsure:

He's not a phony. He's a guy who has an opinion. Same as anyone else.

Argue the opinion if you don't like it. But don't argue the man.

The man's opinion is based in ignorance of who Rand Paul is and what he believes and should be called out as such.

Alrighty. That's cool. Then prove it.

Just saying, it's more productive to, say, create a list of reasons why Rand Paul doesn't hate brown people and women, or provide rationale for it...

Than it is to just call someone a name because they have that opinion.

I'm not saying Neil's right. I'm saying refute his claim rather than attack him.

I see. So, then, if I say you're a racist, the burden then shifts to you to show why that isn't true?

I'm not a huge fan of Senator Paul's myself, but that isn't how it works.

• Like 8

The man's opinion is based in ignorance of who Rand Paul is and what he believes and should be called out as such.

Alrighty. That's cool. Then prove it.

Just saying, it's more productive to, say, create a list of reasons why Rand Paul doesn't hate brown people and women, or provide rationale for it...

Than it is to just call someone a name because they have that opinion.

I'm not saying Neil's right. I'm saying refute his claim rather than attack him.

I see. So, then, if I say you're a racist, the burden then shifts to you to show why that isn't true?

I'm not a huge fan of Senator Paul's myself, but that isn't how it works.

9c6647157efc8bf12ee2bde3e9dbf646.jpg
  • Like 1

Well, Neil has been quoted calling Paul McCartney a whore, which is equally as inflammatory and uninformed as the Rand Paul quote. Nobody jumped off the bus then.

Lighten up, folks....Neil is human and as prone to saying stupid things as any of us. (And no, I'm not a Rand Paul supporter, but I do think that quote, at least in the context it was presented, was unfortunate.)

John Lennon repeatedly called Paul McCartney a fame whore. Was he uninformed and stupid too?

What's this thing with you Americans and "what I think I believe" that is so ingrained in your tiny minds that you automatically think other people are similarly deluded?

Read the instructions before opening mouth (or arse in your case).

Your post reads like one giant non-sequitur. Did you lose track of who you were responding to? Whatever......

Neil is smart enough and expereinced enough that he should realize making blanket statements such as the one he made is never very smart. To say that "Rand Paul hates women and brown people" echoes too closely to Kanye West saying "George Bush hates black people". And Kanye looked like an idiot when he made that statement.

And again, whether you support Paul or not (I don't), you have to acknowledge that he's done good wrok in Guatemala and his current fight against mandatory minimum jail sentencing would actually HELP inner-city minorities. If he's successful, one could argue that it would fix some of the biggest civil rights violations of the last 40+ years. And it's a fight that most Democrats won't even touch right now.

I suspect that Neil was lashing out against the Republican party as a whole, and that's fine. But before he starts naming names, he should be better informed -- his quote in RS just made him look shrill and uninformed.

Oh, and screw you too, Tony.

Edited by Ron2112
  • Like 3

A thought just popped into my mind. You would think after being called fascists by some critics in the 1970s that Neil Peart would understand using political labels and cliches isn't recommended. You would think he would be a bit more careful in choosing his words. Again, the interview could very well be out of context... Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 4

That's an interesting opinion, seeing as Neil argued the man and not the man's opinions. So being critical of someone engaging in sweeping ad hominem attacks is an ad hominem to you.

• Like 5

1. Never thought of Neil as being necessarily "right"....the phase of Ayn for Neil was what...39 years ago?......

Just in general on this thread....are we calling Neil a "phoney" for giving his opinion ( whether you agree or not...correct or not...its his opinion)...about someone who has been outted as a very provable plagerist?.... I mean...that's all kinds of rich when you think about it..

73 is gonna stamp down on this thread pretty soon...

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/100322_cn3wildemonty_p323.jpg

Neil spoke openly about politics in an historic cover article of rolling stone, in so doing a complete 180, as he was one of the RARE right leaning rockers that has shifted to the left.

Its current Rush news. Fair game.

I would hope we neither idolize nor trash.

Edited by JBsDWdrums