460 replies to this topic

#41 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 16 June 2015 - 10:43 PM, said:

73 is gonna stamp down on this thread pretty soon...

Posted Image

Neil spoke openly about politics in an historic cover article of rolling stone, in so doing a complete 180, as he was one of the RARE right leaning rockers that has shifted to the left.

Its current Rush news. Fair game.

I would hope we neither idolize nor trash.

Edited by Gabrielgil513, 17 June 2015 - 07:37 AM.

Sponsored Post

#42 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16894 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostReRushed, on 17 June 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

View PostTony R, on 17 June 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 16 June 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

Phony, no.   Ignorant, yes.

That's just your biased opinion because you are a Rand Paul fanboi.

Me, I doff my cap to Mr Peart for the first time in a long time. Good on him.

Now we know why he avoids the fan base like the plague - they're all Randian psychopaths devoid of humanity.
I think the problem some of us are having has to do with how Mr. Peart expressed his politics. Not agreeing with Mr. Paul's politics is one thing, but to state, "he obviously hates woman and brown people" is lazy and uninformed. Mr. Peart is expressing his politics with talking points. Uninformed talking points. By the way, I'm not a fan of either Rand.
How do you know his opinion is uninformed?

#43 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18669 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

View PostTony R, on 17 June 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

Now we know why he avoids the fan base like the plague - they're all Randian psychopaths devoid of humanity.
I think the problem some of us are having has to do with how Mr. Peart expressed his politics. Not agreeing with Mr. Paul's politics is one thing, but to state, "he obviously hates woman and brown people" is lazy and uninformed. Mr. Peart is expressing his politics with talking points. Uninformed talking points. By the way, I'm not a fan of either Rand.
Because Rand Paul doesn't hate brown people and women. Again, disagree with the role of government in people's lives, but avoid the ad hominem attacks. It's easy to accuse those you disagree with as racists and misogynists. It's a lazy spoon fed argument. Some think charity can work without government intervention and not be about hating brown people and women.

#44 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16894 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostReRushed, on 17 June 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

Because Rand Paul doesn't hate brown people and women. Again, disagree with the role of government in people's lives, but avoid the ad hominem attacks. It's easy to accuse those you disagree with as racists and misogynists. It's a lazy spoon fed argument. Some think charity can work without government intervention and not be about hating brown people and women.

How can you say unequivocally that Rand Paul does not dislike brown people and women?

#45 clem

clem

The Seeker

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

Amen, brother.    
Of course, it could be that Mr. Peart was quoted out of context.  It's been know to happen- and RS magazine tilts very heavily to the left.

#46 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18669 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

View Postclem, on 17 June 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

Amen, brother.
Of course, it could be that Mr. Peart was quoted out of context.  It's been know to happen- and RS magazine tilts very heavily to the left.
By the way, I pointed out the out of context possibility in my first post. I'll give Neil Peart the benefit of doubt, but I really hate the lines drawn in political discourse. The quote attributed to Neil Peart is clearly on one side.

#47 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

Just because you don't like how he avoids the average "drooler" who would just bother the living shit out of him?

Let's see.. I know a person that attended a writing camp that he spoke at years back, of which 99% of the campers didn't know who he was, and had a great time talking with him about lyric/poetry writing. Afterwards, he hung out and chatted with people, and was very gracious.

Reading his books, I see that he doesn't mind talking to the average person that he encounters on a trip because they aren't pawing at him, and being the general dip stick who wants him to worship them because they are fans.

For YEARS he would return letters to you through Modern Drummer Magazine until word got out to the general population, and people just BOMBARDED him with requests.

I feel bad for anyone "of note" because people are grubby!   In fact, I have some friends that are autograph freaks, and stop at nothing to bother people to talk and autograph something! Mostly sports related, but if they are in say New York City, and see someone "famous" they feel like they have license to just walk up, start asking questions and try to get their autograph!   I hate to see that because I personally hate to be bothered if I am doing something. (not that I'm famous, but you get the picture)

#48 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

We can debate the politics of Rand, what constitutes Govt overreach...denying a female worker, who has earned access to quality healthcare through hard work(that is regularly avail to the public) by regulation seems govt overreach to me, the opposite of the Rand view.

But we'd be getting close the the foot of 73 stomping down...

#49 Running Rebel

Running Rebel

Faithless

• Members *
  • 23851 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

Just popped by to see if the mods we're going to allow discussion about the band in public instead of hiding it where only a few can see or discuss it.  

Seems like only a couple people outside of SOCN even ventured in to comment.

You can love Rush on this forum, you just can't say why if it involves anything they say or write.

And kudos to Neil.  He's like Obama not facing re-election and can finally speak his mind more openly without worrying about hostility from masses.

It's always been weird to me since I came to this forum how many Rush fans were completely opposed to the issues, meanings, and words in the songs.  And how angry they get when they are faced with the truth.

#50 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23365 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:27 AM

Really, psychopaths? Some people are expressing disappointment from quotes in an article. Psychopaths?

Being quoted out of context has been mentioned a few times. With all the media we have today and the focus on the tour facilitating interviews I hope Peart's quotes will be pressed.

Edited by JohnRogers, 17 June 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#51 ctbadger

ctbadger

The Seeker

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostTony R, on 17 June 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 17 June 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

No, he finally grew up.

Exactly.

Randian politics are for middle class adolescent teenagers.  Not men.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

#52 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53725 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostTony R, on 17 June 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

How can you say unequivocally that Rand Paul does not dislike brown people and women?
His work in Guatemala suggests otherwise.

#53 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53725 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 17 June 2015 - 08:27 AM, said:

Really, psychopaths? Some people are expressing disappointment from quotes in an article. Psychopaths?

Being quoted out of context has been mentioned a few times. With all the media we have today and the focus on the tour facilitating interviews I hope Peart's quotes will be pressed.
The writer crafts the quote, for sure, and adds/removes context to shape a narrative.  Neil probably read the quote and rolled his eyes...

He should have just said RUSH is more popular than  Jesus.

#54 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:51 AM

Well, Neil has been quoted calling Paul McCartney a whore, which is equally as inflammatory and uninformed as the Rand Paul quote.  Nobody jumped off the bus then.

Lighten up, folks....Neil is human and as prone to saying stupid things as any of us.  (And no, I'm not a Rand Paul supporter, but I do think that quote, at least in the context it was presented, was unfortunate.)

#55 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16894 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

View PostRon2112, on 17 June 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

Well, Neil has been quoted calling Paul McCartney a whore, which is equally as inflammatory and uninformed as the Rand Paul quote.  Nobody jumped off the bus then.

Lighten up, folks....Neil is human and as prone to saying stupid things as any of us.  (And no, I'm not a Rand Paul supporter, but I do think that quote, at least in the context it was presented, was unfortunate.)

John Lennon repeatedly called Paul McCartney a fame whore. Was he uninformed and stupid too?

What's this thing with you Americans and "what I think I believe" that is so ingrained in your tiny minds that you automatically think other people are similarly deluded?

Read the instructions before opening mouth (or arse in your case).

#56 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18669 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:16 AM

View PostTony R, on 17 June 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

John Lennon repeatedly called Paul McCartney a fame whore. Was he uninformed and stupid too?

What's this thing with you Americans and "what I think I believe" that is so ingrained in your tiny minds that you automatically think other people are similarly deluded?

Am I deluded to think you're a snob?

#57 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23365 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:19 AM

Does anyone think he'll be pressed on these political quotes by reporters along the tour, for more context?

#58 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16894 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

View PostReRushed, on 17 June 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

View PostTony R, on 17 June 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Am I deluded to think you're a snob?
Probably not.
But if you decide that I am not some time in the future does that make you a hypocrite?

#59 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16894 posts

View PostJohnRogers, on 17 June 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Does anyone think he'll be pressed on these political quotes by reporters along the tour, for more context?

I think they'll try.

And fail.

#60 ReRushed

ReRushed

• Members
  • 18669 posts

View PostJohnRogers, on 17 June 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

In this day and age, yes. He has to know there's a bit of a backlash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users