Hemispheres vs Close to the Edge

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Poll: Hemispheres vs Close to the Edge (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. Hemispheres (35 votes [67.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.31%

2. Close to the Edge (17 votes [32.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

View Postpip65, on 17 June 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

Hemispheres for me. However, if you had asked about Going for the One, it would have been a harder decision.
:cheers: Well played and excellent taste obviously... :)

Sponsored Post

#122 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10784 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:00 AM

Both of these albums hold special places for me

There are sections of "Close To The Edge" and "And You And I" that bring some very significant emotions out for me - Rick Wakeman is absolutely brilliant and creates perfect counterpoint to the chaotic genius in these songs ...

What I love about YES - one of the many things - is how they can be so technically incredible yet still be so grounded and stir meaningful emotions - they are all fantastic, and I say that not from a technical standpoint, but brilliance in creating those visuals with their chops and instruments .....

But there will always be a 12 year old in me who just f***ing loves Geddy and feels the joy of adolescent testosterone when RUSH rocks

And they wonder why the maples can't be happy in their shade

HEMISPHERES

#123 Tuesday's Gone

Tuesday's Gone

The Seeker

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostLorraine, on 16 June 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

There's no comparison.  CTTE blows Hemispheres right off the planet.  It doesn't even come close to CTTE.

I saw the results of this poll and I was amazed by the results considering that this is a forum of Rush fans. I therefore decided to listen to CTTE, having never heard anything by Yes. I was absolutely blown away by this album, the music is absolutely unique, complex and so beautiful :wub:. Given the complexity of the music, I think I'll like it even more after a few listens. I definitely like it more than Hemispheres although it's completely different.

#124 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5531 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 16 June 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 16 June 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 16 June 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

I find Yes to be terribly overrated.  Not a popular opinion here, I know.

Actually, an unpopular opinion would have been for you to say that you find Rush overrated.

Rush are on the cover of Rolling Stone, of course they are overrated! ;)

:LOLsign:

#125 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42066 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostTuesday, on 22 June 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 16 June 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

There's no comparison.  CTTE blows Hemispheres right off the planet.  It doesn't even come close to CTTE.

I saw the results of this poll and I was amazed by the results considering that this is a forum of Rush fans. I therefore decided to listen to CTTE, having never heard anything by Yes. I was absolutely blown away by this album, the music is absolutely unique, complex and so beautiful :wub:. Given the complexity of the music, I think I'll like it even more after a few listens. I definitely like it more than Hemispheres although it's completely different.

It is true it is completely different from Hemispheres, and in a sense, it's not fair to compare the two, but if I had to choose, it would always be CTTE.  As I said, no comparison.  Hemispheres pales next to it.  I'm sure Rush would agree with me.

#126 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42066 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

And speaking of Rolling Stone and Rush on the cover, would you believe it if I told you it STILL hasn't appeared out here?  They've got every other monthly publication under the sun, they have two stupid Grateful Dead anniversary magazines (I can't stand them and never ever saw what the grand appeal was for that band) and one Fleetwood Mac anniversary something or other.

BUT NO RUSH!!!!!  :rage:

#127 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostLorraine, on 22 June 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

And speaking of Rolling Stone and Rush on the cover, would you believe it if I told you it STILL hasn't appeared out here?  They've got every other monthly publication under the sun, they have two stupid Grateful Dead anniversary magazines (I can't stand them and never ever saw what the grand appeal was for that band) and one Fleetwood Mac anniversary something or other.

Me either. Yuck... :|

#128 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

The dead is a good name for them........their music is just lifeless to me. and i've tried.

Mick

#129 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42066 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:04 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 22 June 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

The dead is a good name for them........their music is just lifeless to me. and i've tried.

Mick

I couldn't agree with you more.  Lifeless and talentless.  But they had some following.  I worked for an attorney whose son followed them all over the country.  Don't ask me why.  Or for what.

#130 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

The place people seem to be finding it is Barnes & Noble. That's where I got mine.

#131 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42066 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 June 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

The place people seem to be finding it is Barnes & Noble. That's where I got mine.

Luckily we have one about a mile or so from where I live.  Also have a place called Hastings which might have it as well.  I'm going to call before I go so I don't waste gasoline.

I'll ask if they have the Rolling Stone issue with the Gods of Geek on the cover.  :lol:

Edited by Lorraine, 22 June 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#132 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 June 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 June 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Luckily we have one about a mile or so from where I live.  Also have a place called Hastings which might have it as well.  I'm going to call before I go so I don't waste gasoline.

I'll ask if they have the Rolling Stone issue with the Gods of Geek on the cover.  :lol:

:lol: I was reading about people saying they were having trouble finding it on Facebook and every single one said B&N so I'd try there first.

#133 andreww

andreww

The Seeker

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

Love both albums and the songs on CTTE are among my favourites, but I prefer to listen to Yes live. Yes Songs and Yes Shows are two of my favourite live albums and I'd pick either of them over any of Rush's live efforts. But in this poll I'm going to have to cast my vote for Hemispheres.

#134 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17661 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 June 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

Mick

I couldn't agree with you more.  Lifeless and talentless.  But they had some following.  I worked for an attorney whose son followed them all over the country.  Don't ask me why.  Or for what.

Say what you will about the Grateful Dead. I know they don't have a lot of fans on this forum (but there are a few of us)...they certainly aren't for everyone. Talentless I don't agree with, though. Some brilliant songwriting (in my opinion).

Phil Lesh, their bass player, is 75 years old and still plays limited residencies every year- normally about 30-40 shows a year, I think. He has slowed down some, to be sure, but he was playing about 100 shows a year up until about two or three years ago. Three to three and a half hours a night, too...with a rotating cast of musicians, kind of like jazz musicians used to do- sometimes a different band every couple of months, various guest appearances by other musicians, etc...a schedule and an approach like that is not to be easily dismissed.

But to each his/her own.

Edited by Blue J, 22 June 2015 - 01:45 PM.

#135 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32225 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:17 PM

Mick

At last we agree on something today! (I assume this post is from today I was just trolling this thread).

#136 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32225 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostBlue J, on 22 June 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 22 June 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

Mick

Say what you will about the Grateful Dead. I know they don't have a lot of fans on this forum (but there are a few of us)...they certainly aren't for everyone. Talentless I don't agree with, though. Some brilliant songwriting (in my opinion).

Phil Lesh, their bass player, is 75 years old and still plays limited residencies every year- normally about 30-40 shows a year, I think. He has slowed down some, to be sure, but he was playing about 100 shows a year up until about two or three years ago. Three to three and a half hours a night, too...with a rotating cast of musicians, kind of like jazz musicians used to do- sometimes a different band every couple of months, various guest appearances by other musicians, etc...a schedule and an approach like that is not to be easily dismissed.

But to each his/her own.

Recommend me an album...and I will try them again!

You and Mick are always swaying me...call me Fickle.

#137 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10259 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:29 PM

The Dead for me I like

Workingman's Dead
American Beauty
Wake of the Flood
Terrapin Station
In the Dark

Thats a pretty good cross section of albums but the real good music is the live stuff..
Live Dead
Europe '72
Bear's Choice
Reckoning
Without a Net

Anthem of the Sun is a hybrid studio/live album, sort of the peak of the psychedelic years for me.

#138 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7030 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

I'm not even gonna act like I've listened to all of the live shit, but my favorite Dead studio albums are the three Grateful Dead Records albums...Wake of the Flood, From the Mars Hotel, and Blues for Allah. If you wanna jump right into the live material try Dick's Picks Vol. 4.

#139 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

I'm watching the Yessongs DVD (Rainbow '72) and as much as I love Yes, there's a real sort of sonic mess on this thing.  And You and I sounds pretty awful.  It's a pretty crappy sounding DVD anyway, but I think some of their stuff was almost too complex for them to do justice to on stage in 72?  Close to the Edge is next up.

#140 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42066 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 22 June 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

I'm watching the Yessongs DVD (Rainbow '72) and as much as I love Yes, there's a real sort of sonic mess on this thing.  And You and I sounds pretty awful.  It's a pretty crappy sounding DVD anyway, but I think some of their stuff was almost too complex for them to do justice to on stage in 72?  Close to the Edge is next up.

You never heard Close To The Edge before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users