CA Album Battle 15: Clockwork Angels vs. Counterparts

Segue Myles

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: CA Album Battle 15: Clockwork Angels vs. Counterparts (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Is Best?

1. Clockwork Angels (41 votes [68.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.33%

2. Counterparts (19 votes [31.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

CA could compete with Counterparts if it sounded half as good.  But it doesn't, so it doesn't.

Sponsored Post

#22 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10245 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

Sorry, CA, I love you to death, you're a masterpiece album that really blew expectations out of the water for a 40 year old band, but Counterparts wins in my heart.

#23 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 15991 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

I like Between Sun and Moon a lot and then, meh.

#24 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24831 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 13 June 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

Since Signals, the only Rush songs I recall getting a buzz on the radio here in NYC (hi Lorraine, btw NYers kick my butt!) were Big Money and Stick it Out. Force Ten a little bit.

CP was the first Rush record to début #2 on the billboard charts. I think CA might have matched it. Following HYF,P and RTB, which didn't sell well by their standards, that's no small accomplishment.

Great songs on CP- SIO captured the hard rock grunge sound of the early 90s, a great return to hard rock for Rush. CTTC and BSAM are awesome Rush tunes. DA is a close call, should have been a monster tune, still decent. It fell victim to the Rush Unusual Lyric Era.

RTB sold better than the previous 2 albums, and is a reason that CO sold well out of the gate.  However, when people heard the single and the album, sales died and it never matched RTB.

#25 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 15991 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostLedRush, on 13 June 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Since Signals, the only Rush songs I recall getting a buzz on the radio here in NYC (hi Lorraine, btw NYers kick my butt!) were Big Money and Stick it Out. Force Ten a little bit.

CP was the first Rush record to début #2 on the billboard charts. I think CA might have matched it. Following HYF,P and RTB, which didn't sell well by their standards, that's no small accomplishment.

Great songs on CP- SIO captured the hard rock grunge sound of the early 90s, a great return to hard rock for Rush. CTTC and BSAM are awesome Rush tunes. DA is a close call, should have been a monster tune, still decent. It fell victim to the Rush Unusual Lyric Era.

RTB sold better than the previous 2 albums, and is a reason that CO sold well out of the gate.  However, when people heard the single and the album, sales died and it never matched RTB.
I remember rtb getting a lot of attention on the radio with a lot of dj comments that rush was back and the heavy use of keys was over.

#26 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

View Postbigbobby10, on 13 June 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 13 June 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Rush's worst album vs. CA?  Is this a joke?

I think you are talking about the poll before this

Presto.  :D

#27 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9811 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:50 PM

Counterparts gets my vote here.

I became a fan when this was their newest album and it will always hold a special place with me. For a long time it was my favorite album from them but it has dropped a bit over the last couple years. It still makes my top ten Rush albums. The last album before this where Alex's guitar work was able to shine this much was Permanent Waves. Great songs, musicianship and most importantly, Rush finally got back to rocking hard again with Counterparts. A criminally underrated album on this forum that deserves a ton more respect than it gets.

#28 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

I know for a fact that Counterparts turned some people into bigger Rush fans.  Because I'm one of them.  

I first saw the band live on the PoW tour, but still hadn't really become a big fan yet.  You could say I was one of those people who didn't quite "get" Rush for a while.  I liked them, but didn't love them (I was more into metal back then).  Then when they went *really* poppy starting with HYF, I became even less interested until 1993.

First time I heard "Stick It Out" on the radio, I was blown away.  Such a ballsy tone from Mr. Lifeson.  And despite a slightly cheesy chorus, I thought it was a great hard rock tune.  I picked up the album and saw the tour.  From that point on, I became a hardcore fan and grew to love all that previous Rush music that I didn't "get" before.  I think it just took age and my taste evolving to be able to appreciate the richness in what the band does.

So CP is a special album for me and while it's definitely not their very best, it would still make my top 10.

#29 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23363 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:34 AM

I can't believe the vote is close. Counterparts is such a mess.

#30 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32225 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:58 AM

View PostYYZumbi, on 13 June 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 13 June 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 13 June 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

Counterparts by far, I just love it! Counterparts also have my first Rush song that I loved. Stick It Out.

You love Stick It Out...

Respect buddy!

Yes I do... what´s wrong with that? It´s a great song!

I hate it a lot. It's awful to my ears!

#31 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23363 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:01 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 14 June 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 13 June 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 13 June 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 13 June 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

Counterparts by far, I just love it! Counterparts also have my first Rush song that I loved. Stick It Out.

You love Stick It Out...

Respect buddy!

Yes I do... what´s wrong with that? It´s a great song!

I hate it a lot. It's awful to my ears!
Unlike Girls in their Summer Clothes a song I replay at least twice when it shuffles up on my iDevice.

#32 Na na na

Na na na

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Interests:Music, cooking, wine, fine clothing, wet shaving, traveling & football (soccer)

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:31 AM

Clockwork Angels :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini: :martini:

#33 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:48 AM

View PostLorraine, on 13 June 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

I will go with CA too this time.  I like five songs from CA and only three from Counterparts.
This will work. Close enough...

#34 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17663 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:55 AM

I used to love Counterparts, but it just hasn't aged that well, overall. Some of the songs on it I still really love.

But Clockwork Angels wins pretty handily.

#35 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:03 AM

View PostLedRush, on 13 June 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

You are right, I forgot RTB sold a million albums. There is some dispute about CP, as the record company initially said CP did a million, but it was never credited. HYF and Presto were the albums that sold less.

I recall a huge buzz when SIO hit the radio before CP was released. Very heavy guitar sound, the DJs loved it back then. Ah the good old days, we had 20+ years of Rush to look forward to, with a bit of a hiatus.

#36 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 14 June 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

I can't believe the vote is close. Counterparts is such a mess.

Believe it JR...

CP is actually the clean crisp album. Angels is the mess. But CP falls victim to two unfortunates, the weird lyric era and Rush still had their swimmies on. Who came up with the swimmie analogy, its awesome.

As I am re- learning now, I do like their synths era a bit, but the harm it did was it hurt their ability, their INSTINCT to rock hard. So many albums they tried to get the guitar back, RTB, Presto, CP. All albums were hurt a bit by the synths era, as they were consumed with where " the future of rock sound was heading."

Angels is a sonic mess. The more I listen to it, the more it falls in my rankings. So many good songs yet so unfortunate. Its shocking TRFers are so willing to give a pass to an albums  sound. Sound is why we listen to music? CP is easily the best post Boone album regarding quality of sound.

#37 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7030 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:27 AM

I like Counterparts, but CA still wins easily.

#38 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24831 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostTexMike, on 13 June 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 13 June 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

View Postbigbobby10, on 13 June 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 13 June 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Rush's worst album vs. CA?  Is this a joke?

I think you are talking about the poll before this

Nope.  CP is more painful than a kick to the nuts, and it scared off a lot of fans who came back to Rush for RTB.

Uh, really?  Just who are these fans who "came back" for RTB?  And why the hell would they?  For Roll The Friggin' Bones???  We all get that you hate Counterparts, but RTB certainly wasn't a step back towards classic Rush either.  And that's putting it mildly.

Every album from MP to Presto sold fewer than the one before it...HYF and Presto went gold.  RTB went platinum, and CP went gold.

#39 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 15991 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:01 AM

If sound quality is so much more important than song quality I wonder why you all aren't listening to smooth jazz or classical primarily.  Nothing sounds better than that.

#40 Hemispheres4Echo

Hemispheres4Echo

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2278 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, writing

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

Clockwork Angels gets my vote, though there are some really good material on Counterparts. One song that I really like on Counterparts is actually Nobody's Hero. I think it has very powerful lyrics. But as I said, CA gets my vote.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Segue Myles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users