The 2015 US Open Thread

Bob Rossberg  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the better score?

• Cole Hammer
    • Tiger Woods

I've played some pretty torn up courses in my time with bad greens like Chambers bay. But in all my years I have never heard of a sprinkler in the middle of the green within 15 feet of the pin placement. I have seen green-side sprinklers but never one right in the middle like this one.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/25221410/watch-brandt-snedekers-putt-hits-sprinkler-leads-to-double-bogey

• Like 1

And just as bad as anything else: apparently the experience for the fans that were at the course wasn't great either due to the absurd elevation changes. Not being able to follow golfers and limited seating areas. I just can't get behind this course as a major venue. The USGA tried to force a major on a site that logistically & design wise is simply not cut out for it. If they want American style "links" then at at Bandon Dunes in Oregon.

Would it be fun to play? Perhaps. Would I pay $300 to play? Hell no.

• Like 1

And just as bad as anything else: apparently the experience for the fans that were at the course wasn't great either due to the absurd elevation changes. Not being able to follow golfers and limited seating areas. I just can't get behind this course as a major venue. The USGA tried to force a major on a site that logistically & design wise is simply not cut out for it. If they want American style "links" then at at Bandon Dunes in Oregon.

The course looked like a logistical nightmare from so many angles. It could not have been enjoyable as a patron trying to walk and follow one group for instance as I have done many times at tour events. I can't even imagine getting around that place. I guess if you wanted to plant yourself in the stands and sit there all day it would be fine but that isn't how I want to view professional golf. I bet they won't go back unless there are major changes to the place. Whistling Straits the PGA championship venue isn't a whole lot different from my memory but I don't recall any major debacle going on there last time they had it there (exception D.J Gretzky grounding his club in a "sand pit" on the last hole). I look forward to seeing an old friend (The Old Course) at the British... :)
  • Like 2

The course looked like a logistical nightmare from so many angles. It could not have been enjoyable as a patron trying to walk and follow one group for instance as I have done many times at tour events. I can't even imagine getting around that place. I guess if you wanted to plant yourself in the stands and sit there all day it would be fine but that isn't how I want to view professional golf. I bet they won't go back unless there are major changes to the place. Whistling Straits the PGA championship venue isn't a whole lot different from my memory but I don't recall any major debacle going on there last time they had it there (exception D.J Gretzky grounding his club in a "sand pit" on the last hole). I look forward to seeing an old friend (The Old Course) at the British... :)

I loved the course - watching it on tv. Would I go in person? No - as stated, hard to walk, restricted, sitting in the stands all day is no fun. I wonder if the stands offered chairs with back support - when I went to the LPGA tournament in June, it was a metal bench only and nothing to lean back on.

Man, that was an amazing tournament. I had a tough time falling asleep afterwards and only got 4 hours sleep. This thread was EPIC in my books - so many excellent posts, often having me roaring with laughter. Thanks everyone for adding to my experience. :cheers:

Sorry to say, I read Fox has a 12 year US open deal... sigh. I can't wait for the British Open - hopefully ESPN does the coverage as in past years, and if so, Mike Tireco is involved.

• Like 3

I think the consensus with the players is if they would reseed all the greens like they did 7 and 13 with all fescue they wouldn't mind coming back. I just think greens should be a perfect putting surface not a mixture of bare sand spots and little spiked weeds.

I tend to agree. The greens on 7 and 13 looked like "real greens" and I am sure were just fast, smooth greens as they should be. The pros ask for consistent more than anything from the practice putting green to the course and through all 18 holes. I don't blame them for at least wanting that much. I would want the same when I played. Just makes me wonder how much better the telecast would have been to watch if NBC had been doing it. Something was way off there no doubt...

Fox should never be allowed to cover golf again. Horrible coverage. I don't mind the ball tracer once in a while but not on every frikin shot. They rely on that tracer because they haven't figured out how to follow the ball in flight like NBC and CBS. And what was that awkward Holly interview standing 10 feet apart in front of a giant screen 5 seconds after a player finishes a round ?

The Holly "thing" was terrible. Not a fan of hers anyway. Folks think she is so hot but I can do without her. Terrible interviews...

yep - not a fan either. It reminded me of their NFL coverage - Just stick some hottie down on the field to interview coaches and players. Stupid

Misogynist.

:D

I agree it seems dumb.

I've played some pretty torn up courses in my time with bad greens like Chambers bay. But in all my years I have never heard of a sprinkler in the middle of the green within 15 feet of the pin placement. I have seen green-side sprinklers but never one right in the middle like this one.

http://www.cbssports...to-double-bogey

Was that the green proper? Probably not, I'll say.

And right there is a problem.

• Like 1

And right there is a problem.

Having seen the sprinkler, some might choose to chip. I've done that in the past.