Jump to content


Best Drum Album

Best Drummm Al Bummm yee Prof. Peart

  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Best a Rush drum album (31 member(s) have cast votes)

""

  1. RUSH (2 votes [6.45%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.45%

  2. Fly By Night (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  3. Caress Of Steel (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  4. 2112 (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  5. A Farewell To Kings (still Madri-cal) (2 votes [6.45%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.45%

  6. Hemispheres (7 votes [22.58%])

    Percentage of vote: 22.58%

  7. Permanent Waves (4 votes [12.90%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.90%

  8. Moving Pictures (4 votes [12.90%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.90%

  9. Signals (3 votes [9.68%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.68%

  10. Grace Under Pressure (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  11. Power Windows (1 votes [3.23%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.23%

  12. Hold Your Fire (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  13. Presto (change-o) (2 votes [6.45%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.45%

  14. Roll The Bones (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  15. Counterparts (1 votes [3.23%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.23%

  16. Test For Echo (echo) ((echo)) (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  17. Vapor Trails (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  18. Feedback (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  19. Snakes And Arrows (1 votes [3.23%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.23%

  20. Clockwork Angels (2 votes [6.45%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.45%

  21. One of the live albums (2 votes [6.45%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17571 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostAnEggplant, on 11 October 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 09 October 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

Presto-No joke.  Neil never did anything that interesting ever again.

Mick

Main Monkey Business anyone? :)

Close...........but presto's Drumming is more interesting IMO.

Mick

Sponsored Post

#22 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

Nice to see some praising the brilliant drum work on Presto.  Without a doubt, the most subtle Neil has ever been with his drumming. Very clever drumming throughout the whole album. Show Don't Tell, War Paint, and Available Light are FANTASTIC drum performances. Always had a soft spot for the sparse yet effective drumming in the title track also.

Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch, 12 October 2015 - 07:11 PM.


#23 YYZ Working Man

YYZ Working Man

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2169 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

This almost impossible to choose because of the different syle on every album over the years.
i wont vote but 3 thats always amaze me are Hem,MP,Signals ..

#24 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17571 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostGeddy, on 12 October 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

Nice to see some praising the brilliant drum work on Presto.  Without a doubt, the most subtle Neil has ever been with his drumming. Very clever drumming throughout the whole album. Show Don't Tell, War Paint, and Available Light are FANTASTIC drum performances. Always had a soft spot for the sparse yet effective drumming in the title track also.

that one fill near the end  Anagram..........honestly my fav Neil drum fill in Rush History.

Mick

#25 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostYYZ Working Man, on 12 October 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

This almost impossible to choose because of the different syle on every album over the years.
i wont vote but 3 thats always amaze me are Hem,MP,Signals ..

I'm no drum expert, but I would have to agree with you from what I hear.

#26 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1017 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near Philadelphia PA
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:32 PM

Only one album has "didacts and narpets" but also only one album has "Tom Saywer" which Neil admits is always a challenge to play. I'll have to think about this.

#27 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21912 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:11 AM

This is a really tough one. I need to break it down a bit.

Signals - best recorded drum sound on an album. They sound great. The snare doesn't sound tinny and the toms just sound massive.
Hemispheres - most technical playing. Precision reigns supreme.
Grace Under Pressure - most creative playing in the groove. His playing is precise and is just perfect for what the songs need.

#28 graxxus

graxxus

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:Shirling

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 14 October 2015 - 03:11 AM, said:

This is a really tough one. I need to break it down a bit.

Signals - best recorded drum sound on an album. They sound great. The snare doesn't sound tinny and the toms just sound massive.
Hemispheres - most technical playing. Precision reigns supreme.
Grace Under Pressure - most creative playing in the groove. His playing is precise and is just perfect for what the songs need.

Totally agree with Hemispheres being the height of his technical achievement. I went with Signals overall because the drums do sound great, the playing is technical but still really accessible and the part writing is amazing. Subdivisions might be the finest example of this. The seamless shifting from 7/8 to 4/4 in the intro and verse, the figure leading into the chorus is a 6 bar phrase in 4/4 (24 beats) which gives way to the chorus,  4 bar phrases of 6/4 (24 beats)... Genius! Oh, and that fill at the beginning of Digital Man where the accent falls on the left hand, subtle and very tricky. The Weapon, at least live, has a stick flip as part of the beat! The outro on Countdown... I'll shut up now.

#29 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

View Postgraxxus, on 14 October 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 14 October 2015 - 03:11 AM, said:

This is a really tough one. I need to break it down a bit.

Signals - best recorded drum sound on an album. They sound great. The snare doesn't sound tinny and the toms just sound massive.
Hemispheres - most technical playing. Precision reigns supreme.
Grace Under Pressure - most creative playing in the groove. His playing is precise and is just perfect for what the songs need.

Totally agree with Hemispheres being the height of his technical achievement. I went with Signals overall because the drums do sound great, the playing is technical but still really accessible and the part writing is amazing. Subdivisions might be the finest example of this. The seamless shifting from 7/8 to 4/4 in the intro and verse, the figure leading into the chorus is a 6 bar phrase in 4/4 (24 beats) which gives way to the chorus,  4 bar phrases of 6/4 (24 beats)... Genius! Oh, and that fill at the beginning of Digital Man where the accent falls on the left hand, subtle and very tricky. The Weapon, at least live, has a stick flip as part of the beat! The outro on Countdown... I'll shut up now.

You mention Digital Man.  Yesterday I was watching a Signals tour bootleg video and noticed Neil's drumming in that song for the first time.  It appeared hard what he was doing.    It wasn't until I had a good shot of him playing during that song that I noticed it.  I don't know enough (hahaha-truth is, I don't know anything :lol: )  to catch it by listening.  I have to see it.

Edited by Lorraine, 14 October 2015 - 01:05 PM.


#30 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

i can go watch it again and tell you the part that I am talking about if you want.

#31 graxxus

graxxus

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:Shirling

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

absolutely

#32 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

OK, but it may take me a bit to find it.  

I'll be back when I do.  :)

#33 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:25 PM

See if you can find Digital Man from a bootleg called Visual Chemistry.  The date is April 9,1983 from a show at The Montreal Forum.

He actually does it twice during the song, but the last minute or so of the song - from the words


He's got a force field and a flexible plan
He's got a date with fate in a black sedan
He plays fast forward for as long as he can
But he won't need a bed -
He's a digital man



As an aside, I love the way Alex used to bop around on stage back then.

#34 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

I see Geddy's bass is plugged in during The Trees.  I thought that after the seventies they had a way to do it without being plugged to something?

#35 graxxus

graxxus

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:Shirling

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Cool, that part is definitely sweet! Great beat for that section already, but when he gets playful with it at the outro vamp, even sweeter. Don't have many Rush bootlegs, but I have Music in the Abstract because that setlist is amazing.

#36 graxxus

graxxus

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:Shirling

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostLorraine, on 14 October 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

I see Geddy's bass is plugged in during The Trees.  I thought that after the seventies they had a way to do it without being plugged to something?

Like a wireless unit? Thought it was interesting Geddy was playing a Steinberger on that tour. Always associated that bass with P/G.
Posted Image

#37 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

I thought he had his little bass on that tour.  I don't remember what it's called.

Maybe that's the connection I am seeing (the not so wireless wireless :lol: ).  I thought they both (Alex and Geddy) had their instruments plugged in.

Anything I "know" about music I learned here.

By the way, are you a drummer?  I have a drummer question for drummers here.

#38 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

View Postgraxxus, on 14 October 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

Cool, that part is definitely sweet! Great beat for that section already, but when he gets playful with it at the outro vamp, even sweeter. Don't have many Rush bootlegs, but I have Music in the Abstract because that setlist is amazing.

You ought to put your name on the hard drive vine list.

#39 graxxus

graxxus

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:Shirling

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

Guitarist first, drummer maybe third. I do transcribe Rush in full score format, so I am thinking about the drums rather in depth, for just a guitarist.

#40 graxxus

graxxus

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:Shirling

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostLorraine, on 14 October 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

View Postgraxxus, on 14 October 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

Cool, that part is definitely sweet! Great beat for that section already, but when he gets playful with it at the outro vamp, even sweeter. Don't have many Rush bootlegs, but I have Music in the Abstract because that setlist is amazing.

You ought to put your name on the hard drive vine list.

I don't even know what that is, but of course!





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Best, Drummm, Al, Bummm, yee, Prof. Peart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users