Christopher Lee, dead at 93...RIP

Rod in Toronto

I saw that he passed away on sunday, but his wife wanted to allow time for everyone to settle before allowing it to go public. Good move.

RIP Mr. Lee. One of the greats! (p.s. his symphonic metal stuff is great)

very sad but 93 years old is a long and hopefully happy life.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--o4tegWQg--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/wz3knmnactzc9dk89n83.jpg

• Like 5

I'm sad to hear this. Pittsburgh had a horror movie show (Chiller Theater) Saturday nights for many years and a lot of the movies were Christopher Lee movies. I always enjoyed them.

RIP :rose:

This is VERY bad news for me. He's one of my absolute favourites and I've been following his stuff right up until today, including his heavy metal stuff! :haz:

RIP Sir Christopher

Here's some of his memorable roles:

Most memorable roles

Count Dracula Dracula (1958)

The Creature The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Henry Baskerville The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

Lord Summerisle The Wicker Man (1973)

Francisco Scaramanga The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)

Dr Catheter Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)

Mohammed Ali Jinnah Jinnah (1998)

Saruman the White The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-3)

Count Dooku Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

• Like 3

Horror movie extraordinaire, and a career in heavy metal started at 91 years old...one of the last great names in horror has left us: http://www.blabbermo...lee-dead-at-93/

R.I.P...

And I love how you changed your avatar, Rod. I hope you are feeling better these days!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

He was also a special forces guy during world war II, something he never really talked about.

When filming Lord of the Rings, Wormtongue was supposed to kill Lee in a scene and Lee had to correct Jackson about the correct sound a man makes when a knife is plunged into their back. He was speaking from experience after driving one into a Nazi's lungs.

• Like 2

Horror movie extraordinaire, and a career in heavy metal started at 91 years old...one of the last great names in horror has left us: http://www.blabbermo...lee-dead-at-93/

R.I.P...

And I love how you changed your avatar, Rod. I hope you are feeling better these days!

Much better now, thanks! I wanted to change for another picture of mine, but it´s quite difficult to bring them down to less than 100kbytes, so I used this Maiden pic. It fits well, Powerslave was the first Maiden album I bought.

• Like 1

He was also a special forces guy during world war II, something he never really talked about.

When filming Lord of the Rings, Wormtongue was supposed to kill Lee in a scene and Lee had to correct Jackson about the correct sound a man makes when a knife is plunged into their back. He was speaking from experience after driving one into a Nazi's lungs.

Yeah here's more info on this:

Christopher Lee: The real James Bond

“I was attached to the SAS from time to time but we are forbidden – former, present, or future – to discuss any specific operations. Let’s just say I was in Special Forces and leave it at that. People can read into that what they like.”

Christopher Lee was Ian Fleming’s cousin. Both were distantly related to Charlemagne - and Lee, in his 80s, released a heavy metal album named after his regal ancestor.

Christopher Lee has an illustrious military past. As well as fighting for the SAS (then known as the Special Operations Executive or SOE), he also volunteered to fight for Finland in the Winter War prior to WW2, during WW2 fought in North Africa, and saw the concentration camps first hand. After WW2, he spent time hunting Nazi war criminals.

It was on the set of the original Lord of the Rings trilogy that Peter Jackson and his crew were given a chilling hint of Lee’s past.

Filming a scene in Return of the King (seen only in the extended version), when Grima Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) stabs Saruman in the back on top of the tower, Christopher Lee corrected Peter Jackson on the fact that when a person is stabbed in the back of the chest, they do not scream (as the director wanted), in fact the air is pushed out of their lungs and they “groan” with an exhalation of air, very quietly, as their lungs have been punctured.

From Peter Jackson’s DVD commentary: “When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would, I was explaining to him what he should do… And he says, ‘Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?’ And I said, 'Um, no.’ And he says 'Well, I have, and I know what to do.’”

The crew said that they knew Christopher Lee had been in the British Royal Air Force Intelligence Service in World War Two, and they didn’t really push him for more information about how he knew in such detail exactly what noise a person makes when this is done to them.

He wouldn’t have told them anyway.

When pressed by an eager interviewer on his SAS past, he leaned forward and whispered: “Can you keep a secret?”

“Yes!” the interviewer replied, breathless with excitement.

“So can I.” replied a smiling Lee, sitting back in his chair.

• Like 3