CA Album Battle 11: Clockwork Angels vs. Power Windows

Segue Myles

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: CA Album Battle 11: Clockwork Angels vs. Power Windows (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is best?

1. Clockwork Angels (24 votes [42.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Power Windows (33 votes [57.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17896 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

I am perfectly chill. No worries. :)

Honestly, I didn't know it was going to cause that much of a kerfuffle...I don't typically rock the boats of other Rush fans, saying provocative things...

...unless said other Rush fans are having nasty things to say about...oh, Hold Your Fire, for example. If that be the case, then all bets are off!

Edited by Blue J, 11 June 2015 - 09:31 AM.

Sponsored Post

#42 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 33814 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

Honestly, I didn't know it was going to cause that much of a kerfuffle...I don't typically rock the boats of other Rush fans, saying provocative things...

...unless said other Rush fans are having nasty things to say about...oh, Hold Your Fire, for example. If that be the case, then all bets are off!

Lol truuue

#43 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17896 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 June 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

Not hard for me.

Power Windows.

But I do expect CA to win this one.

Hmmm...looks like I'll need some more of those Chicago-style voters to make that happen, at this point.

#44 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3936 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 11 June 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

BlueJ, a difference in crowd energy this tour? Lack of enthusiasm last tour? Lackluster ticket sales last tour?

I don't know anything about ticket sales from the last tour. But it was pretty packed in Cincinnati on that night two summers ago, when I saw them.

Different crowd energy now? Well, yes...when they're playing things like ...._...yes, the crowd's energy is definitely different this time around. Columbus a couple of nights ago was...just outta sight!

rushisa band has a great tour section with attendance and gross sales back to 2007. I guess u gotta be a numbers geek like me to like it!

One CA show at the Pru was packed...Jones Beach and Brooklyn on CA tour had to be the 2 smallest Rush crowds I've been in.

what some call "spoilers" others call current Rush news!

The world has shaken as a result of this setlist.
Yeah, we Jersey people love our Rush!

#45 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7443 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

And us Islanders ;) making the commute to join you disc! So looking forward to the Pru (Philly & Garden also!!)

#46 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 25621 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:40 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 11 June 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 11 June 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

I see. I'm a leper now.

What is that saying, about not being able to please all of the people, all of the time?

I like you, but I don't understand what's so hard about the spoilers rules or why you still won't delete them now.

I did...at the same moment you posted this, as well. My apologies.

I still don't see how saying classic rush songs being played in a three hour set list is a spoiler.

Chill Blue, you didn't commit a crime.

It is a spoiler for the same reason learning about a plot point in a movie before you watch it is a spoiler...some people want to learn about what happens when it happens, and feel the emotional impact of that in its proper context.  You don't, apparently.  That's fine.  But for me, I get so much joy when the band I loves plays that one song I never thought they'd play, that I wouldn't want that moment diminished in any way.  I've done the concerts both ways...with knowing and without, and I love the without far more.  You may not.  That's fine.  Just follow the rules of the forum and don't ruin it for others.

#47 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7443 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

View PostLedRush, on 11 June 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

BlueJ, a difference in crowd energy this tour? Lack of enthusiasm last tour? Lackluster ticket sales last tour?

I don't know anything about ticket sales from the last tour. But it was pretty packed in Cincinnati on that night two summers ago, when I saw them.

Different crowd energy now? Well, yes...when they're playing things like [stupid f***ing spoilers that are  sensored in a way that still spoils the concert deleted] yes, the crowd's energy is definitely different this time around. Columbus a couple of nights ago was...just outta sight!

What the f**k?  Can someone delete this post?  Why do people have to be so inconsiderate on these simple f***ing rules?

Like the NY Times that allocates one small section of the Sunday paper to current news and events...but dems da rules. No rules on salty language.

had no intention of this this turning into a spoiler discussion.

go power windows (there's something I Thought I'd never say!)

#48 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 33814 posts
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

Not sure how knowing a Rush song that's massively popular is going to feature in a set list is the same as knowing a plot point in a film.

Seriously... Get a grip!

#49 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 25621 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 11 June 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

Not sure how knowing a Rush song that's massively popular is going to feature in a set list is the same as knowing a plot point in a film.

Seriously... Get a grip!

You're joking right?

#50 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4351 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 10 June 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Man...I love both albums...both are snapshots catching the boys at their best. But Ged's hair was friggin huge on PoW so it wins.
I think Geddy referred to it once as a raccoon hat.

#51 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7443 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

They are very serious about spoilers J

BTW, intended to mention some of the stats from CA tour, not have a massive spoiler chat.

Two NYC shows on the first CA leg, NJ did great, Brooklyn not as well. I couldn't find Cincy on this CA leg, but did find Columbus, which did 8611. The promoter also plays with capacities alot on this tour. an NHL arena, even with backstage seats closed off, holds more than 10,204. Barclays curtained some sections, and did not include those seats in the capacity number.

Even with the small Brooklyn crowd, the two NYC shows netted close to $2 million. R40 is going to have some monster gross sales. Imagine if they were able to price tickets to market value.

Five NYC shows will fund a mini residency in London. 2017 at an arena near few.

Sat, Oct 20 Prudential Center: Newark, NJ
attendance 12,139/12,139 ($1,022,913) SELLOUT [setlist]

Mon, Oct 22 Barclays Center: Brooklyn, NY
attendance 9,904/10,815 ($870,736) [setlist]

Thu, Sep 20 Nationwide Arena: Columbus, OH
attendance 8,611/10,204 ($587,173) [setlist]

#52 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 25621 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:41 PM

The crowds on the CA tour were the deadest I've seen other than Jones Beach S&A leg two.  Crowds just don't respond to the synth albums.

#53 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7443 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

View PostLedRush, on 11 June 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

The crowds on the CA tour were the deadest I've seen other than Jones Beach S&A leg two.  Crowds just don't respond to the synth albums.

I felt like a cheerleader during the heavy synth songs in set 1 and also during the hour of CA in set 2 in the CA tour. As a die hard Rush fan, CA tour was borderline embarrassing. R40 has changed Rush history and disproven the Neil theory, thankfully, before he retires

Yes you can go back in time and yes it can be the shining moment of recent memories. Makes all this CA adulation a bit bizarre (especially when CA is put near or ahead of their best work).

#54 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 33814 posts
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 12 June 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

I felt like a cheerleader during the heavy synth songs in set 1 and also during the hour of CA in set 2 in the CA tour. As a die hard Rush fan, CA tour was borderline embarrassing. R40 has changed Rush history and disproven the Neil theory, thankfully, before he retires

Yes you can go back in time and yes it can be the shining moment of recent memories. Makes all this CA adulation a bit bizarre (especially when CA is put near or ahead of their best work).

Its nice a lot of rush fans love CA.

No excuse for a lot of the rudeness that has been directed at the none CA fanboy crowd.

#55 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17896 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

This wasn't my experience at all, at the show I saw (second leg of the tour, about a month before it ended). Everybody was into everything. The only song I remember there being some sort of lukewarm response to (meaning the size of the roar that the crowd gives off at the moment it hits them what song the band has just started playing) was Territories.

So one less-than-stellar reaction, out of nearly thirty songs? Not too bad, I don't think.

#56 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7443 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 12 June 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

No excuse for a lot of the rudeness that has been directed at the none CA fanboy crowd.

I should say CA over-adulation. I do my best not to be rude about it Mr Myles. It is just one of those unique things about this tiny corner of the Rush fandom universe.

#57 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 33814 posts
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 12 June 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 12 June 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

I should say CA over-adulation. I do my best not to be rude about it Mr Myles. It is just one of those unique things about this tiny corner of the Rush fandom universe.

What I hate is when they start going OTT about, say, me hating on CA and being a troll.

And yet...they are the same crowd that rally against any serious praise of Presto, HYF or even VT!

Rush fans can be surprisingly narrow minded, both to music in general and even to Rush music! Seriously...gets dull.

CA is good, maybe great. But some of us don't really care for it as much as other Rush albums! Get over yourselves lol!

But these polls have been fun...its nice to see the usual CA crowd give praise for other albums and get chatting again about something other than the latest release!

#58 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7443 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

Segue it is fun, and cool they have such a good album at 60YO.

But I'd say, as a fan that likes all Rush albums, CA is barely a top 10, 2112-grace are solidly ahead. I'd also put cos and fbn ahead. I'm also a huge fan of Presto and CP, Two albums that don't have the sound issues of CA, despite the presto tin...

Sound, that is such an important part of a quality record!

#59 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1300 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

Power Windows by a country mile.

Every song (except Territories) is great.  Even Territories is decent.  

CA is loaded from Halo Effect on but its got a lot of music I don't like at the start and dooms it to defeat.  Plus the production could be better.  The production on PoW is fine.

Power Windows is just great.  It takes a tremendous album to beat it and only 2112 and perhaps HYF are up to it.

#60 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 16091 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Love love love Power Windows.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Segue Myles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users