Jump to content


CA Album Battle 11: Clockwork Angels vs. Power Windows

Segue Myles

  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: CA Album Battle 11: Clockwork Angels vs. Power Windows (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is best?

  1. Clockwork Angels (24 votes [41.38%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 41.38%

  2. Power Windows (34 votes [58.62%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 58.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 25780 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

View PostA rocket that ignites itself, on 10 June 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Easy one for me.  I don't give PoW much thought after a few songs...CA in a trounce.

To paraphrase Eugene Levy, three good songs does not an album make.  CA is several times better than PoW.

Sponsored Post

#22 TexMike

TexMike

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1390 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

For me, PoW wins this one pretty easily.  It sounds so good through headphones (clean with nice instrument separation), the playing is top notch and the lyrics are quite good.  It's a shame Geddy went a bit overboard bathing it in so much synth.  It took me until the last tour to realize what a rockin' song "Grand Designs" actually is.

CA showed them getting back on the right track, but has more filler and is a fatiguing album to listen to.  I hope they continue in the more progressive direction on future albums, but with a good producer.

#23 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 7542 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

    Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:54 PM

View PostBlue J, on 10 June 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:30 AM, said:

It was tough to digest so much Power on the CA tour. CA also! That should be the "Tough to Digest Tour!" These two records are tied together!

Boooo!! :boo hiss:

Quote

If CA was a clean record, this would be a much easier vote.

it makes me run low on the Advil, despite the abundance of good songs.

Here's what I have to say to that -->  :codger:

Haha!

To each his/her own...but I had to put my two cents in. Again.

That's four cents, then...so far...

BlueJ, a difference in crowd energy this tour? Lack of enthusiasm last tour? Lackluster ticket sales last tour?

Good songs on CA no doubt, too much loose noise, alot of it is strings. Sometimes CA sounds like a drifting radio station


.

#24 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 34550 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 10 June 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:30 AM, said:

It was tough to digest so much Power on the CA tour. CA also! That should be the "Tough to Digest Tour!" These two records are tied together!

Boooo!! :boo hiss:

Quote

If CA was a clean record, this would be a much easier vote.

it makes me run low on the Advil, despite the abundance of good songs.

Here's what I have to say to that -->  :codger:

Haha!

To each his/her own...but I had to put my two cents in. Again.

That's four cents, then...so far...

BlueJ, a difference in crowd energy this tour? Lack of enthusiasm last tour? Lackluster ticket sales last tour?

Good songs on CA no doubt, too much loose noise, alot of it is strings. Sometimes CA sounds like a drifting radio station


.

Production aside it gets very boring. SA had great production and that albums bores me to death.

#25 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 74055 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 June 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

Production aside it gets very boring. SA had great production and that albums bores me to death.
Even though production's good
It's really near the best
Lyrics from a preaching atheist
Bore us all to deeeeeeeeeeeeeeath

#26 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5236 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

Uber tough one for me. These two are right next to each other on my list of favorite Rush albums. For me though, it comes down to which one I've had and loved longer (CA) and which one gas more music I love on it (CA). Both these albums are at the top of my second tier of Rush albums, but Clockwork Angels just barely edges out Power Windows for me.

#27 TemplesofLamneth

TemplesofLamneth

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 170 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Williamsburg, Va

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:30 AM

Gotta choose Power Windows over Clockwork Angels this time around. Just recently got over my initial repulsiveness for the synth in this album after I had a customer point out how I enjoy Signals but can't seem to stomach PW. Glad she pointed it out... I haven't "felt" Rush's music like this since I first listened to "The Pass"

#28 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21908 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:33 AM

PW

#29 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 10514 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:54 AM

Roll On Power Windows!!!

#30 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17940 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:14 AM

Edited, to please the masses.

Edited by Blue J, 11 June 2015 - 08:58 AM.


#31 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 74055 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

BlueJ, a difference in crowd energy this tour? Lack of enthusiasm last tour? Lackluster ticket sales last tour?
.

I don't know anything about ticket sales from the last tour. But it was pretty packed in Cincinnati on that night two summers ago, when I saw them.

Different crowd energy now? Well, yes...when they're playing things like with nearly impeccable vocals, I might add)...yes, the crowd's energy is definitely different this time around.
Uh, this is not the spoiler forum.

Edited by laughedatbytime, 11 June 2015 - 06:46 AM.


#32 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14440 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:36 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 11 June 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

BlueJ, a difference in crowd energy this tour? Lack of enthusiasm last tour? Lackluster ticket sales last tour?
.
"I swallowed a bug"

what movie is that from?
Uh, this is not the spoiler forum.
It is now

Edited by Tombstone Mountain, 11 June 2015 - 08:25 AM.


#33 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17940 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:55 AM

Oh, hang it anyway...I don't care anymore.

I'll go back and fix my initial post, though.

#34 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 7542 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

    Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:


BlueJ, a difference in crowd energy this tour? Lack of enthusiasm last tour? Lackluster ticket sales last tour?
.

I don't know anything about ticket sales from the last tour. But it was pretty packed in Cincinnati on that night two summers ago, when I saw them.

Different crowd energy now? Well, yes...when they're playing things like ...._...yes, the crowd's energy is definitely different this time around. Columbus a couple of nights ago was...just outta sight!

rushisa band has a great tour section with attendance and gross sales back to 2007. I guess u gotta be a numbers geek like me to like it!

One CA show at the Pru was packed...Jones Beach and Brooklyn on CA tour had to be the 2 smallest Rush crowds I've been in.

what some call "spoilers" others call current Rush news!

The world has shaken as a result of this setlist.

#35 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 25780 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 10 June 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:


BlueJ, a difference in crowd energy this tour? Lack of enthusiasm last tour? Lackluster ticket sales last tour?
.

I don't know anything about ticket sales from the last tour. But it was pretty packed in Cincinnati on that night two summers ago, when I saw them.

Different crowd energy now? Well, yes...when they're playing things like [stupid f***ing spoilers that are half assedly sensored in a way that still spoils the concert deleted] yes, the crowd's energy is definitely different this time around. Columbus a couple of nights ago was...just outta sight!

What the f**k?  Can someone delete this post?  Why do people have to be so inconsiderate on these simple f***ing rules?

#36 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 25780 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:37 AM

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

Oh, hang it anyway...I don't care anymore.

I'll go back and fix my initial post, though.

Try again, your post is full of spoilers still.

#37 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17940 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

I see. I'm a leper now.

What is that saying, about not being able to please all of the people, all of the time?

#38 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 25780 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

I see. I'm a leper now.

What is that saying, about not being able to please all of the people, all of the time?

I like you, but I don't understand what's so hard about the spoilers rules or why you still won't delete them now.

#39 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17940 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:03 AM

View PostLedRush, on 11 June 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

I see. I'm a leper now.

What is that saying, about not being able to please all of the people, all of the time?

I like you, but I don't understand what's so hard about the spoilers rules or why you still won't delete them now.

I did...at the same moment you posted this, as well. My apologies.

#40 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 34550 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 11 June 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 11 June 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

I see. I'm a leper now.

What is that saying, about not being able to please all of the people, all of the time?

I like you, but I don't understand what's so hard about the spoilers rules or why you still won't delete them now.

I did...at the same moment you posted this, as well. My apologies.

I still don't see how saying classic rush songs being played in a three hour set list is a spoiler.

Chill Blue, you didn't commit a crime.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Segue Myles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users