The most cursed sports cities in America: Do you agree with the NYT list?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/06/04/upshot/The-Most-Cursed-Sports-Cities-in-America.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

Too long to post in its' entirety.

Here's the list (obviously not prepared by Bill Simmons or Boston would be the most successful and most cursed city.)

1. Isn't it obvious?

2. Atlanta (not that anyone there cares)

3. Buffalo

4. San Diego

5. Home of the frequent avatar changer

6. Mpls/St Paul

7. Philadelphia

8. Phoenix

9. Oakland

10. KC

11. Houston

12. Cincy

13. Seattle

• Like 1

If the Blackhawks weren't hockey gods right now Chicago would probably be on the list, too.

I was wondering about that but I think they count the NBA as a sport too so that would be enough to kill Chicago's chances. But even that's been 17 years ago.

I don't understand the "season since last title" thing? Washington says 79 years and the ***skins won the Super Bowl in 92' and quite and few in the 80's as well... ??? :eh: Edited by Narps

:laughing guy:

Who is this by the way so I get get a kick out of it myself?... :huh:

Goat Lover

Oh ok. I am from there and wasn't sure... :sigh: :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

I don't understand the "season since last title" thing? Washington says 79 years and the ***skins won the Super Bowl in 92' and quite and few in the 80's as well... ??? :eh:

It's the number of seasons for the major teams.

Goat Lover

To be fair, he hasn''t actually changed his avatar in the middle of a game. At least yet, Redskins season is coming up.

• Like 1

Atlanta has more than earned its spot.

Of course, I only care about baseball in terms of major league sports. But the Braves haven't done shit since Ted Turner owned them, and that's going to continue to be the case unless someone who gives a rat's ass about baseball buys the team. Right now they're basically a farm team for every other MLB team. Their player development is excellent, but as soon as someone starts really getting good, they're snapped up by another team willing to pay the $$$$ for that talent.

• Like 1

Of course, I only care about baseball in terms of major league sports. But the Braves haven't done shit since Ted Turner owned them, and that's going to continue to be the case unless someone who gives a rat's ass about baseball buys the team. Right now they're basically a farm team for every other MLB team. Their player development is excellent, but as soon as someone starts really getting good, they're snapped up by another team willing to pay the $$$$ for that talent.

They're just biding time until they get out of that ancient 20 year old pit called Turner Field and into a new (taxpayer funded) stadium.

Of course it's Boston, at least according to LABT. Consider:

1. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are cheaters, so not only are all of the Patriots Super Bowl wins wiped out, but even their appearances in Super Bowls 20 and 31 are open to question. After all, does anyone have proof that Belichick wasn't videotaping what coordinators were doing in front of 80,000 people, for the benefit of the Patriots, when he was with Giants in 1985?

2. David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez were juicers, so the World Series wins in 2004, 2007 and 2013 are not legitimate. Nor are the World Series appearances in 1986 and 1975 and 1967. Yaz used to do illegal stretches before games in thoses seasons.

3. Red Auerbach drafted Larry Bird before he was actually planning on playing in the NBA. And all those championships in the 50s and 60s? Auerbach was actually letting players play based on their talent, not their skin color. Sneaky.

4. The Bruins were bullies, so 2013's Stanley Cup championship is tainted.

5. We have a professional soccer team.

• Like 1

Of course it's Boston, at least according to LABT. Consider:

1. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are cheaters, so not only are all of the Patriots Super Bowl wins wiped out, but even their appearances in Super Bowls 20 and 31 are open to question. After all, does anyone have proof that Belichick wasn't videotaping what coordinators were doing in front of 80,000 people, for the benefit of the Patriots, when he was with Giants in 1985?

2. David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez were juicers, so the World Series wins in 2004, 2007 and 2013 are not legitimate. Nor are the World Series appearances in 1986 and 1975 and 1967. Yaz used to do illegal stretches before games in thoses seasons.

3. Red Auerbach drafted Larry Bird before he was actually planning on playing in the NBA. And all those championships in the 50s and 60s? Auerbach was actually letting players play based on their talent, not their skin color. Sneaky.

4. The Bruins were bullies, so 2013's Stanley Cup championship is tainted.

5. We have a professional soccer team.

You make some very valid points but you combine them with some real stretches.

Sorry about the soccer team, by the way. Unfortunately, that's not an issue unique to Boston.

Sorry about the soccer team, by the way. Unfortunately, that's not an issue unique to Boston.

I know. But it's so humiliating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR9JMwzxybE

In Minneapolis, the soccer team is looking for public funding for a stadium. So far, no luck. Last year, St. Paul (or maybe it was the state or a regional authority) got funding for a baseball team in an independent league.

Maybe this place isn't so bad after all!

They're just biding time until they get out of that ancient 20 year old pit called Turner Field and into a new (taxpayer funded) stadium.

Don't even go there. That's my county and my taxes paying for that stadium. The County Commission snuck it past everyone - no referendum, nothing. It was a complete surprise. The head of the commission, Tim Lee, is a snake (my apologies to snakes) who, since taking office, has done nothing but invent new ways to waste other people's money. He's redecorated his office twice since getting elected, to the tune of $400,000. Shit, my HOUSE didn't cost anywhere near that.

Don't even go there. That's my county and my taxes paying for that stadium. The County Commission snuck it past everyone - no referendum, nothing. It was a complete surprise. The head of the commission, Tim Lee, is a snake (my apologies to snakes) who, since taking office, has done nothing but invent new ways to waste other people's money. He's redecorated his office twice since getting elected, to the tune of $400,000. Shit, my HOUSE didn't cost anywhere near that.

Sounds like how they got the funding for the new Vikings stadium passed even though public surveys had support for it under 40%.

We even have some of the same people supporting this that support a new $90 million office building for the state senate. So I feel your pain.

Sounds like the job the Miami-Dade CONmission did to build Marlins Park.