CA Album Battle 9: Clockwork Angels vs. Signals

Segue Myles

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Best?

As I've said, I think there are places in CA where the production really does suit it. It only bothers me in certain places. And still, that doesn't take anything away from the quality of the album as a whole.

There is the quality of the songs and the quality of the album production, and those are two completely different things. When I hear people talking crap about CA they always mention the poor production quality (which I don't hear, but that's my ears) and never the quality of the songs themselves, and I think that's what the NarpMan is talking about here:

Signals as an album was groundbreaking back in 1982. If you were to listen to it for the first time today it would sound like it was recorded in 1982, thus dated.

CA, on the other hand, has a timeless sound. Sure, it sounds like a new Rush album. But it could have also been recorded in 1979, as it would fit in with their sound of the time.

Sorry to say it would sound miles better had it been and more would love it I have no doubt including me...

So, to those people who have an issue with the production on CA (or Vapor Trails, for that matter) what you do think of the songs live? Are they everything you had wanted them to be on the album? If you don't like them live, then why not?

Re CA live, I'd have to skate on the spoiler rule? The dosage on 2015 is perfect, but the nine tune marathon 2012-13 was way too much and had me reachin for the Advil.

No more acurate words ever posted. Amen. Just to much... :)

Re CA live, I'd have to skate on the spoiler rule? The dosage on 2015 is perfect, but the nine tune marathon 2012-13 was way too much and had me reachin for the Advil.

As someone who loves the CA album I did love the fact they played most of it on the last tour. :D At least we don't all have to think alike.

• Like 1

The last of the great Rush albums - Signals.

Once again our Lorraine has cut straight to the heart of the matter & absolutely nailed it.

Good job she's around.

Agreed. I like some of the albums that followed directly (80's) but none of them would I consider "great" by any means. There are also some good songs along the way scattered here and there but no "classics" or "epics" or choose your own descriptive. Just my opinion of course. That show on VHI that featured Rush "classic" albums 2112 and Moving Pictures I don't think there will be another episode made about anything else they have done post 81'... :)

Power Windows and Snakes and Arrows are great.

An album can have a stinker or two, and still be a great album.

I don't think I agree with this especially in bold. I honestly think there isn't a "great" one after Signals. Grace would come closest in my view and if HYF quit at 8 songs it would make the strongest case of all in my opinion. The VT, Snakes and CA era there are just so many songs a bunch of stinkers are more possible obviously and they are certainly there... :codger:

I certainly understand your point. However...another case in point- even though I like Snakes and Arrows more than a fair number of other people do, I could have gone without two songs from it in the show last night; I would have been happy with one. And One Little Victory, from Vapor Trails, I could have done with something else instead of that. So there...two songs that I could have done without. But it was still a GREAT show. Savvy? :)

Sweet.

• Like 1