CA Album Battle 7: Clockwork Angels vs. Permanent Waves

Segue Myles

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Best?

• Clockwork Angels
    • Permanent Waves

I strongly suspect after MP is completed, we will see CA win more rounds, which in all honesty I understand, as many Rush fans favour the bands more straightforward rock releases to the synth dominant eighties releases. Personal taste aside, I respect that choice completely. After all, bands like Yes, Kansas, Styx and others lost me with their softer, more commercially slanted, eighties records. Rush buck that trend with me, but I definitely agree those with more, how shall I put it, "metallic" taste in rock will not come out in droves to support an album like Power Windows when a heavier alternative is on show.

But with Permanent Waves, I honestly cannot see how anybody could favour CA over this beautiful album. PeW combines hooks aplenty with experimental time signatures, complex instrumentation and fabulous production in a way that still excites over 35 years after its initial release, so much so that the well worn fan favourite and rock classic Spirit Of Radio still entices rapturous aplause with every performance.

But personally, this masterful song is outshone by various gems on this album: Different Strings, Jacob's Ladder, Natural Science, the gloriously addictive chorus of Freewill...this is one stone cold classic.

Even I admit to being guilty of overlooking this masterpiece. Why do I not regularly shout out PeW as one of my ultimate favourites?

Honestly, I have no answer. Upon replaying it I am left doubting even myself when it comes to claiming AFTK as my favourite!

So, with this poll, let's seriously consider which is best: this 35 year old timeless masterpiece, or a three year old fan favourite?

Could CA be considered superior based on over familiarity of the vintage classic, or does CA push the sound of the band beyond even the peak of their glory years?

My vote goes to PeW. But maybe, just maybe, this major classic, one which has stood the test of time better than virtually any other Rush album before or since, has finally be outshone by another prog-flavoured hard rock milestone.

Let the voting commence!

Edited by Segue Myles

Absolutely no contest.

I am being honest here, replaying this album...not sure how this ever dropped out of my top five. I could never rate this as less than perfect...I've overlooked it for AFTK, MP and recently Hems...but no excuses. That was a mistake!

• Like 2

Both score perfect. CA has more material, thus more to enjoy. Which means I prefer it to PeW--anyday of the week.

If that is how you feel, both albums being perfect, it makes perfect sense album length would be a determining factor in this decision. The more music, the merrier!

This is extremely difficult. Both albums rank very closely for me. Like TM said, Clockwork Angels simply has more to enjoy, but that doesn't deny the greatness of Permanent Waves.
  • Like 1

Permanent Waves

I try not to let sentimentality into the mix at all, in these situations. But it was the first 'new' Rush album to be released after I became a fan.

Clockwork Angels is absolutely brilliant. But this is a case when I think the newfound creative energy they had, immediately post-side-length epics, in 1979, was just jaw-dropping; unbelievable.

CA is the best thing they've made since the 1980s...but PeWaves is what closed out the '70s and launched them on that magical decade.

• Like 1

Permanent Waves is the king of the mountain of Rush albums...all hail!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

I hVe to believe that anyone that votes CA is a troll on this and the next one.

I think Tombstone's THE BIGGEST troll at least with CA........i laughed out loud and shook my head when i saw his vote.

Mick

• Like 2

Believe it bud. Clockwork Angels is my favorite album. PeW is a perfect album, Clockwork Angels is as well, except it has more to offer--66 minutes
  • Like 1

I think Tombstone's THE BIGGEST troll at least with CA........i laughed out loud and shook my head when i saw his vote.

Mick

Sorry...Rush didn't create their best work 35 years ago. They got better...and a guy named Nick made them realize their greatness once again.
  • Like 1

I think Tombstone's THE BIGGEST troll at least with CA

Actually the biggest trolls would be those who say CA lacks imagination and creativity, or it's a completely average work. Trolls are the people who would say that the album is all rehashed shit, or boring. Those are the trolls Mick. Another good example would be someone saying it's a "chore" to listen to Headlong Flight.

Troll Squad has you and Segue as CA Troll captains, with a few bench players.

• Like 1

I think Tombstone's THE BIGGEST troll at least with CA

Actually the biggest trolls would be those who say CA lacks imagination and creativity, or it's a completely average work. Trolls are the people who would say that the album is all rehashed shit, or boring. Those are the trolls Mick. Another good example would be someone saying it's a "chore" to listen to Headlong Flight.

Troll Squad has you and Segue as CA Troll captains, with a few bench players.

OK bud :laughing guy:

Mick

Permanent Waves is Rush at its peak. Love CA but can't go against the transcendent greatness that is PeW...the last in a run of the great 70s Rush albums.
  • Like 4

Permanent Waves is Rush at its peak. Love CA but can't go against the transcendent greatness that is PeW...the last in a run of the great 70s Rush albums.

I agree that it's the peak...of that era. Excellent songwriting. It's got it all. I prefer it to MP.

For me though Clockwork Angels does meet it, and because of the sheer size, surpasses it. You can't match PeW in terms of tone or sound, hell most of the bands work in that era was probably recorded with the same equipment over and over. I get that.

It's about the quality of songs, AND the amount of music. I put CA on that shelf of greatness, I give it the edge because of the amount of goodies we get with it.

This is extremely difficult. Both albums rank very closely for me. Like TM said, Clockwork Angels simply has more to enjoy, but that doesn't deny the greatness of Permanent Waves.

Not a poor song on Permanent Waves or anything close to one. CA has at least three that I know of. Just my opinion of course and then there is the dreadful production. No contest here...
  • Like 4

Not a poor song on Permanent Waves or anything close to one. CA has at least three that I know of. Just my opinion of course and then there is the dreadful production. No contest here...

and the yodeling.

Mick