Concert Reviews

• Please log in to reply
891 replies to this topic

#861 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6468 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:45 PM

new list!

1. Queen + Adam Lambert (2017)
2. Rush (2015)
3. REO Speedwagon & Chicago (2018)
4. Coldplay (2016)
5. Panic! At The Disco (2018)
6. Imagine Dragons (2017)
7. Red Hot Chili Peppers (2017)

REO Speedwagon and Chicago were incredible the other night! REO played all their hits and rocked the crowd! Kevin Cronin is an awesome frontman and really understands how to perform in a way that gets people on their feet!

But Chicago, I won't spoil for anyone who is going to go see them on this tour, but if you have any affection for this band beyond the hits you have to go see this tour! My dad and I were expecting Saturday In The Park, 25 or 6 to 4, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is, etc. Well we got those... and a whole lot more! I was blown away with the setlist, with the performances, with the ebb and flow of the concert, and it was really just an incredible, possibly once in a lifetime experience to witness a band that old somehow playing at the peak of their powers (apart from Kath's absence of course) on some of their best material ever. Go see this tour.

EDIT: actually it appears the tour is over, I wasn't aware of this before and I apologize if I got anyone's hopes up, however, they've released a live album earlier this year covering the more exciting half of the set in it's entirety.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo, 13 August 2018 - 02:44 PM.

Sponsored Post

#862 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9791 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

Here's my review of The Dead Daisies in toronto: https://www.sonicper...es-august-2018/

#863 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4759 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:28 PM

I went to see The Magpie Salute last night which is Rich Robinson's band (formally of The Black Crowes). Good show in a small hall with only (sadly) about 400-500 people. Set list was about 19 songs but surprisingly no Black Crowes songs, which were prevalent in their last tour. Checking previous setlists from this tour, I only see one or two a night, so their pushing new material from their High Water album. MS has Marc Ford and Sven Pipien from the BC days and Jon Hogg doing vocals. Jon is excellent and has the sound of Rich's (asshole) brother Chris. The last tour they had a 3rd guitarist and 3 back-up singers but paired back the band to the 6 guys. Honesly I didn't miss the back-up singers other than for eye-candy.

MS is very Black Crowes-esque as you would imagine a band led by Rich would sound like. Very solid show, very basic rock band without alot of flash...bunch of dudes just standing and jammin, which is all I expected.

The most interesting part of the show was after they did an quiet acoustic cover called April Fool, Rich berated some audience members for talking during the song: "you know it's really difficult to perform a quiet acoustic song when all I hear is you f***ing yacking during the song". He then went on to rant a bit about audience response, which perked up the crowd for the rest of the show. The crowd was pretty dead and needed a kick in the ass. But I wholeheartedly appreciate him calling out some people that missed the point of coming to a show: you dumbfucks can drink beer and yack for free at home, why bother wasting money on a ticket?

All in all a very decent evening for a $45 ticket, $12 for parking and $18 for dinner right next to the hall. I went solo as the Mrs would not have handled the volume.

#864 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 27254 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

Saw Ozzy last night in Mansfield, where the great Rush bootleg from the T4E tour was recorded.  I'm a fan, and have been since Blizzard was released.  I saw Ozzy 3 times in the early 80s, including about 2 weeks after Randy died.

Ozzy is a little less physically animated, although he moves pretty good for a guy who will be 70 in a few months.  His general animation, however, hasn't changed at all since I first saw him ("C'mon you f*ckers!  Let me see your f*cking hands," or some version of that was said about 70 times.).

The set list is readily available online, and he didn't veer from it at all.  I was a little surprised he did nothing from Diary, but 3 songs from Paranoid, none of which was Iron Man.  Road to Nowhere is a bit of a surprise; there are a ton of songs he could do that would be in his range that were released after No More Tears (Let Me Hear You Scream, Junkie), which I say because he didn't play anything after No More Tears in full.  Perry Mason appears as part of Zakk Wylde's solo, when he goes into the crowd and wails away for about 10-15 minutes right next to some fans.  The set list is otherwise overwhelmingly Blizzard, Paranoid and No More Tears.

Wylde was excellent, and I've been critical of his pinch harmonics shtick.  Ozzy (aided I'm sure by technology) sounded great.  He left the stage for Wylde's extended solo and Tommy Clufetos' solo, which covered about 20 minutes of 90 minute show.  But in the end, Ozzy was Ozzy.  If you like his music, as I do, it was great fun.

#865 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 9266 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC, Driving, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, building plastic models [Of almost all kinds], having fun,Talking with friends!

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

i've seen Black Sabbath one time, with Blue Oyster Cult, in 1980 on the 'Black and Blue' tour.  This was after Ozzy had left, but they did all the hits from the Heaven and Hell album and Blue Oyster Cult absolutely RULED that concert!
Posted Image

#866 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 27254 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 09 September 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

i've seen Black Sabbath one time, with Blue Oyster Cult, in 1980 on the 'Black and Blue' tour.  This was after Ozzy had left, but they did all the hits from the Heaven and Hell album and Blue Oyster Cult absolutely RULED that concert!
Posted Image

I have a great bootleg from the Heaven and Hell tour.  I love the Dio era albums.

#867 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 9266 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC, Driving, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, building plastic models [Of almost all kinds], having fun,Talking with friends!

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:20 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 09 September 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

I have a great bootleg from the Heaven and Hell tour.  I love the Dio era albums.

Yeah, I love the Dio albums also. But I absolutely LOVE "Never Say Die"! I got it from a co-worker for Christmas '78 and loved it completely!
Posted Image

#868 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 27254 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 09 September 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yeah, I love the Dio albums also. But I absolutely LOVE "Never Say Die"! I got it from a co-worker for Christmas '78 and loved it completely!
Posted Image

I like NSD! more than Tech Ex.  Here's how I rank the first 8 Ozzy era albums

Paranoid
Vol 4
MoR
s/t
SBS
Sabotage
NSD!
Tech Ex

I'm a fan, so I enjoy them all, but I think the first 5 are by far the best.

I'd also place Blizzard and Diary in the same class.  Two of my very favorite albums of all time.

#869 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 9266 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 10 September 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

i've seen Black Sabbath one time, with Blue Oyster Cult, in 1980 on the 'Black and Blue' tour.  This was after Ozzy had left, but they did all the hits from the Heaven and Hell album and Blue Oyster Cult absolutely RULED that concert!Posted Image
Yeah, I love the Dio albums also. But I absolutely LOVE "Never Say Die"! I got it from a co-worker for Christmas '78 and loved it completely!Posted Image
I like NSD! more than Tech Ex.  Here's how I rank the first 8 Ozzy era albumsParanoidVol 4MoRs/tSBSSabotageNSD!Tech ExI'm a fan, so I enjoy them all, but I think the first 5 are by far the best.I'd also place Blizzard and Diary in the same class.  Two of my very favorite albums of all time.
I agree with the Blizzard and Diary albums also, I'm on Cruisin' Mix 621 Summer Faves 155 and just played through "Revelation (Mother Earth)" and had chills running down my spine! "Let me hear you Scream" came right after that.  It started off with RUSH doing "Heart full of Soul" so that's a really good start!  I usually play a different artist every song, but sometimes my taste runs to same artist pairings....That's the way is was with Ozzy today!  I don't have Bark At the Moon, Down to Earth, No Rest For The Wicked, Undercover or Black Rain,  I'm thinking maybe I should get them...Since you're an Ozzy Fan too, I should let you know that Randy R. died at my Cousin's house in Leesburg, Fla.  He's been in the music business since the 60's with his twin brother, and was making tour busses at the time.  The pilot that was flying the plane Randy was in, was kinda playing TAG with the tour bus driver is what I was told, when he hit a tree next to the Garage and flipped into the garage and burned 1/3 of the Mansion down. I'd last been down to his twin brother's house in christmas time in 1980.  I was shocked when I heard it was at Jerry's house. He lives outside Leesburg a few plots of land, and has his own plane or two and a runway.
Posted Image

Edited by OldRUSHfan, 10 September 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#870 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 27254 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:52 AM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 10 September 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 10 September 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

i've seen Black Sabbath one time, with Blue Oyster Cult, in 1980 on the 'Black and Blue' tour.  This was after Ozzy had left, but they did all the hits from the Heaven and Hell album and Blue Oyster Cult absolutely RULED that concert!Posted Image
Yeah, I love the Dio albums also. But I absolutely LOVE "Never Say Die"! I got it from a co-worker for Christmas '78 and loved it completely!Posted Image
I like NSD! more than Tech Ex.  Here's how I rank the first 8 Ozzy era albumsParanoidVol 4MoRs/tSBSSabotageNSD!Tech ExI'm a fan, so I enjoy them all, but I think the first 5 are by far the best.I'd also place Blizzard and Diary in the same class.  Two of my very favorite albums of all time.
I agree with the Blizzard and Diary albums also, I'm on Cruisin' Mix 621 Summer Faves 155 and just played through "Revelation (Mother Earth)" and had chills running down my spine! "Let me hear you Scream" came right after that.  It started off with RUSH doing "Heart full of Soul" so that's a really good start!  I usually play a different artist every song, but sometimes my taste runs to same artist pairings....That's the way is was with Ozzy today!  I don't have Bark At the Moon, Down to Earth, No Rest For The Wicked, Undercover or Black Rain,  I'm thinking maybe I should get them...Since you're an Ozzy Fan too, I should let you know that Randy R. died at my Cousin's house in Leesburg, Fla.  He's been in the music business since the 60's with his twin brother, and was making tour busses at the time.  The pilot that was flying the plane Randy was in, was kinda playing TAG with the tour bus driver is what I was told, when he hit a tree next to the Garage and flipped into the garage and burned 1/3 of the Mansion down. I'd last been down to his twin brother's house in christmas time in 1980.  I was shocked when I heard it was at Jerry's house. He lives outside Leesburg a few plots of land, and has his own plane or two and a runway.
Posted Image

I missed seeing Randy by about 2 weeks.  When Bernie Torme came out at the show he looked so much like Randy, except he had a white Strat, I thought maybe it was a hoax he had died.  

Of the albums you don’t have, I’d rank them Bark, No Rest, Black Rain, DTE, and Undercover.  I enjoy everything he’s ever put out to some degree though.

#871 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9791 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

My review of Terry Bozzio's concert in Toronto

http://www.sonicpers...september-2018/

#872 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2332 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

Posted Image

#873 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 9266 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

I like the girl who 'helped' little Milton to write his prose...
Posted Image

#874 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 27254 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:18 AM

Saw one of the most fun shows I've ever seen.  Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators played at the House of Blues in Boston last night.  It was a very intimate setting, no more than 1500-2000 people I'd guess.  My buddy and I were on the floor (there are no seats at HoB) and we watched the show roughly 30 feet away from Slash on his side of the stage.  You could actually see the texture on "the hat."  The band has 3 live albums, Made in Stoke, Live in Manchester and Live at the Roxy, which capture how tight the band is pretty well.  But all 3 of those albums are heavy on tunes by GnR, Slash's Snakepit and Velvet Revolver.  Last night they did Rocket Queen, which featured a mind blowing lead break by Slash, and Fall to Pieces.  The rest of the set list was taken from Slash's 4 solo albums.  Myles Kennedy's voice live is exactly the way it sounds in the studio.  He is, IMO, the best rock vocalist active today.  And he and the bassist, Todd (Dammit) Kerns are extremely energetic live,and spend a ton of time acknowledging the audience and interacting with it.  Kerns handles the vocals on Iggy Pop and Slash's We're All Gonna Die and Lemmy and Slash's Dr. Alibi.  And his background vocals are on par with Michael Anthony's.  Slash gets ripped around here periodically, but watching him work up close has only reaffirmed what I truly believe:  he belongs up there with Page, Van Halen, Hendrix and a handful of other guitarists who are part of the debate over "greatest ever."  Watching him go to town on the fretboard from 30 feet away is something to behold.

If you like classic, straight forward heavy rock, do yourself a favor.  Pick up Living the Dream, World on Fire, Apocalyptic Love and Slash.  I'm a GnR fan, but this band is just as good.

#875 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6468 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 29 October 2018 - 04:20 AM

The Musical Box was golden! They were note for note perfect to the point where I could nearly believe I was watching Genesis. The lights and sound were pristine and full of dynamics. The set was filled with deep cuts! The singer immediately became the center of my attention when they got into Gabriel era stuff. One act for Wind and Wuthering and Trick Of the Tail, one act for The Lamb, and one act for Tresspass through Selling. My only complaint is the deep cuts didn’t leave room for the classics in the third act especially. But they saved one monster classic for the encore that gave it all a atisfuing conclusion. And act 2 was spectacular! The Lamb really was meant to be played live, and if they ever tour The Lamb again I’ll be there! Loved this show so much!

1. Queen + Adam Lambert (2017)
2. Rush (2015)
3. REO Speedwagon & Chicago (2018)
4. The Musical Box (2018)
5. Coldplay (2016)
6. Panic! At The Disco (2018)
7. Imagine Dragons (2017)
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers (2017)

#876 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 30570 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

Frankie Valli at the historic FOX theatre. He moved like a guy waiting for double hip replacement surgery but worked the crowd. Great backing band, decent light show. Voice spot on.

#877 custom55

custom55

The Sphere

• Members
  • 7553 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

On deck shows:

The Rolling Stones BOSTON 7/7, NJ 8/1 and NJ 8/5

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:20 PM

Bob Dylan - Beacon Theatre NYC Nov 27, 2018

I have never seen Bob Dylan in concert and I own only one album by Bob.   I went to the show with my buddies for a night out... dinner, drinks and music.

I was pleasantly surprised !!!  Bob played the piano the entire show and his band ( Charlie Sexton on guitar ) was awesome.   All of his 'hits' have been reworked/updated.  Some great and some so so.

Overall, great show and fantastic stage lighting.   Show started at 8pm and ended at 10pm.

I'd see him, with his band, again.

#878 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 9055 posts
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

Saw The Marcus King Band in Augusta, GA, on the 11th. This guy is the next best thing if you like Derek Trucks/Susan Tedeschi, Allman Brothers, Warren Haynes type music. That's the 2nd time I've seen them, this time for a full set. Up close and up front for $25 at a bar, like it should be. Won't get that opportunity again.

#879 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 9055 posts
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:02 AM

Saw KONGOS in Charlotte Monday.  Hardly a crowd, but that was good for me to see them up close.  Very talented bunch of kids and the sound was fantastic.  They seemed really tired, as it was toward the end of their tour, and they mentioned bus troubles in the northeast during the cold weather spell.  They also pointed out that there will be parts II and III to the recently released  "1929" album.

#880 Laurabw

Laurabw

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:golf, hockey, skiing, ballet, Grad School of Rock

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

Saw LP at Brooklyn Terminal 5, or whatever it's called, west side of NYC. It's a GA venue, three levels. The downside of GA is that we had to stand out in the cold in a line that went all they way down the street and half a block away on the West Side Highway. But tickets were cheap, only $37. We were by the rail on the second level, the view wasn't as great if you weren't directly on the rail, but the bar wasn't crowded at ALL and they have separate bathrooms, very pleasant indeed!

As for LP, she was great. I didn't know any of her stuff except for Into the Wild (https://www.youtube....h?v=CIjGaDUp6FY) which she did NOT do, I guess it's old by now. But she's got a beautiful clear voice, an amazing range, and she's really fun to watch. She also seems totally cool, she went down in the crowd for a moment or two. Since I didn't know any of the songs I can't really get specific, except to say she did one about Recovery, maybe it was called that, not sure, but it was gorgeous.

And she can whistle like nobody's business, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users