Concert Reviews

Disco

Went to the Hard Rock Hell NWOBHM festival held over 2 days in Sheffield on Fri & Sat this week. I saw far too many bands to review them all but the event as a whole was excellent. I've already booked tickets for next year with a special deal for just £20!!! Here are a few ratings for the bands I saw. I did miss some as it was held in two rooms and some bands clashed. If anyone is interested in NWOBHM I recommend this festival.

Jaguar - 6/10

Mythra - 6/10

Cloven Hoof (only saw half their set) - 7/10

Persian Risk - 7/10

Witchfynde - 2/10

Blitzkrieg - 9/10

Jess Cox (former Tygers Of Pan Tang singer) - 0/10

Rock Goddess - 10/10

Savage - 10/10

Tokyo Blade - 9/10

Demon - 8/10

Grim Reaper - 10/10

Chrome Molly - 2/10

Vardis - 8/10

Venom - 1/10

Girlschool - 8/10

Wow. What a bunch of great bands. You made some interesting and significant valuations there.

Too bad that I couldn't make the trip.

Try for next year. It's first weekend in December. Diamond Head, Raven & Praying Mantis already confirmed. There were tons of fans from mainland Europe in attendance this year.

• Like 1

Went to the Hard Rock Hell NWOBHM festival held over 2 days in Sheffield on Fri & Sat this week. I saw far too many bands to review them all but the event as a whole was excellent. I've already booked tickets for next year with a special deal for just £20!!! Here are a few ratings for the bands I saw. I did miss some as it was held in two rooms and some bands clashed. If anyone is interested in NWOBHM I recommend this festival.

Jaguar - 6/10

Mythra - 6/10

Persian Risk - 7/10

Witchfynde - 2/10

Blitzkrieg - 9/10

Rock Goddess - 10/10

Savage - 10/10

Tokyo Blade - 9/10

Demon - 8/10

Grim Reaper - 10/10

Chrome Molly - 2/10

Vardis - 8/10

Venom - 1/10

Girlschool - 8/10

Wow. What a bunch of great bands. You made some interesting and significant valuations there.

Too bad that I couldn't make the trip.

Try for next year. It's first weekend in December. Diamond Head, Raven & Praying Mantis already confirmed. There were tons of fans from mainland Europe in attendance this year.

Sounds great, I have noted it on my event list for next year. :cheers:

Jaguar - 6/10

Mythra - 6/10

Persian Risk - 7/10

Witchfynde - 2/10

Blitzkrieg - 9/10

Rock Goddess - 10/10

Savage - 10/10

Tokyo Blade - 9/10

Demon - 8/10

Grim Reaper - 10/10

Chrome Molly - 2/10

Vardis - 8/10

Venom - 1/10

Girlschool - 8/10

Tokyo blade and grim reaper would love to see

Temple of the Dog

Nov 7, 2016

MSG

This being the only NYC show ever for TotD, how could this Seattle 90s aficionado not show up? Time to get on stub hub, get off my arse, and train it into the city!

The legendary instrumentalists of Pearl Jam with Soundgarden's Chris Cornell fronting? Will I ever get this opportunity again?

Also considering the incredibly unique story how Pearl Jam should never have existed if Andrew Wood did not succumb to addiction. How the TotD sessions served as a musical introduction to three future PJ members with one of the future all time great rock singers.

As the band takes the stage, the legendary Mike McCready in his usual spot stage right, with Jeff, Stone and Matt all in their usual PJ stage spots. Then out walks Chris Cornell, very surreal these five on the MSG stage together. The walk on song was Man of Golden Words, as a tribute to Wood. Surreal. Chilling.

They begin the show with the never before performed (by TotD) in NYC - Say Hello to Heaven, the sellout crowd elevates. There is a certain electricity when a band is charged by a crowd from in front and behind the stage, let alone opening with a tune addressing emotions that document the structural change in rock history as a result of the circumstances that led to TotD, and subsequently, PJ.

Watching these five musicians live as I often have in the past, the PJ guys with their very familiar styles, but playing songs I have never seen them play. And Cornell,what is this, the seventh different band I've seen him front?

Since they only recorded ten tunes, they were obviously going to play a lot of covers. Cornell sang admirably Wood's lines on the handful of MLB songs performed.

McCreadys tone on Sabbath's War Pigs was spot on, and Cornell has the range to pull off Ozzy's vocal.

Getting to hear River of Deceit, and reflect live at a packed MSG the legacy of AIC's and Mad Season's Layne Staley as well, how many shows have I ever attended like this one - in the same arena as my 4th and final R40 show :(

On Hunger Strike, Cornell had the crowd screaming Eddie's parts. How many wows are allowed in one show?

They also covered Bowie (seriously guys, how much emotion are we going for?), Zep, The Cure and Free.

The setlist:

Man of Golden Words (Mother Love Bone song) (piano instrumental)

Say Hello 2 Heaven

Wooden Jesus

Call Me a Dog

Your Saviour

Stardog Champion (Mother Love Bone cover)

Stargazer (Mother Love Bone cover)

Seasons (Chris Cornell song)

Jump Into the Fire (Harry Nilsson cover)

Four Walled World

I’m a Mover (Free cover)

Pushin Forward Back

Hunger Strike

Quicksand (David Bowie cover)

Heartshine (Mother Love Bone cover)

River of Deceit (Mad Season cover)

Holy Roller (Mother Love Bone cover)

Reach Down

Encore:

Man of Golden Words (Mother Love Bone cover) (Cornell solo acoustic) (with ‘Comfortably Numb’ (Pink Floyd) tag)

Times of Trouble

Achilles Last Stand (Led Zeppelin cover)

Missing (Chris Cornell song)

Fascination Street (The Cure cover)

War Pigs (Black Sabbath cover)

Encore 2:

All Night Thing

• Like 3

I got to go to Wrex The Halls night 1 this weekend!!

The concert was AMAZING!! Bishop Brigs,Band Of Horses,Glass Animals,and Local Natives were great but...

BECK WAS THE BEST!!

Setlist (These are all the songs I remember of the Beck setlist):

Loser

Black Tambourine

E-Pro

Girl

Wow

Where's It At

The New Pollution

Lost Cause

Dreams

Blue Moon

Devils Haircut

Qué Onda Güero

I also got pictures and video:

https://68.media.tum...yr39lo1_400.jpg

http://youtu.be/ui14BJxdH6M

http://youtu.be/P8J8jVrI0p8

Edited by GotNeilPeart?
  • Like 1

I got to go to Wrex The Halls night 1 this weekend!!

The concert was AMAZING!! Bishop Brigs,Band Of Horses,Glass Animals,and Local Natives were great but...

BECK WAS THE BEST!!

Setlist (These are all the songs I remember of the Beck setlist):

Loser

Black Tambourine

E-Pro

Girl

Wow

Where's It At

The New Pollution

Lost Cause

Dreams

Blue Moon

Devils Haircut

Qué Onda Güero

I also got pictures and video:

http://youtu.be/ui14BJxdH6M

http://youtu.be/P8J8jVrI0p8

I am so happy for you!

When our favourite artists meet our expectations, or better yet, SURPASS THEM, it is a wonderful feeling!

Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Tedeschi Trucks: January 29, 2017: Johnny Mercer Theater @ Savannah Civic Center, Savannah, GA.

Start time:7:30pm

"An evening with..." no opening act.

Intermission: 9:15-9:30pm

End time: 11:30pm

Ticket cost:$57

Absolutely mind blowing live music.

Derek Trucks on the guitar, and his wife, Susan Tedeschi on the vocals, with 10 other musicians, including 2 drummers, brass, backup singers, and organist.

They played almost all the hits from their latest record "Let me get by", plus past hits, such as, "Bound For Glory" and "Midnight in Harlem", along with other covers, such as "Bird on a wire", "A little help from my Friends," and the opening song, "Statesboro Blues", since Statesboro is close to Savannah.

I can't express in words how much azz this show kicked and the endless energy from the nonstop playing. Every song was "Rush length songs", some 15 minutes long. Gospel, Jazz, Motown, Blues, Ballads, Rock n Roll and Soul all wrapped into one band.

I got very lucky that I had a load going to Jacksonville, and I could stop and take an über into Savannah, and catch this show, especially since it was sold out.

Saw Green Day last night at the 02 Arena.

I'm not a fan but I do love their live show.

• Like 2

I saw a symphony orchestra, last night, live, for the first time ever, here in Aiken. They did Brahms in the first set and a pianist, named Joyce Yang, from NYC, did Rachmaninoff in the second set. She was awesome. Definitely will attend again in the future.
  • Like 3

I went to garth brooks last night. Show 5 of his 9 Edmonton shows. I have to say I was impressed and very happy we went. I hadn't listened to him in 20 years, I pretty much moved on from country music when I was 10 or 11 years old but his old stuff I still remember all the words. My parents were blown away, it was cool to see how much they enjoyed it. I won't say he is the best singer, or showman ever, but he has written some great music and he has a unique way of connecting with the audience. Even the guy in the furthest nosebleed seat feels like he's playing just for him, and He calls out individual audience members! "That guy way up there in the orange shirt, I see you..... you've been on your feet all night". He played some requests like Turn the Page, and Amarillo by morning, which were highlights for me. A few people were leaving at 10:30 at the start of the encore and he was saying "it's cool if you can't stay past 1030, I love you anyways and thanks for being here tonight". What ego rock star says that?

His wife Trisha yearwood does some of her songs halfway through the show, she was great. And the opener, this Karyn Rochelle, really good. This girl could be big, and I say that as someone who generally craps all over "country" music, or whatever it's turned into these days.

I went to garth brooks last night. Show 5 of his 9 Edmonton shows. I have to say I was impressed and very happy we went. I hadn't listened to him in 20 years, I pretty much moved on from country music when I was 10 or 11 years old but his old stuff I still remember all the words. My parents were blown away, it was cool to see how much they enjoyed it. I won't say he is the best singer, or showman ever, but he has written some great music and he has a unique way of connecting with the audience. Even the guy in the furthest nosebleed seat feels like he's playing just for him, and He calls out individual audience members! "That guy way up there in the orange shirt, I see you..... you've been on your feet all night". He played some requests like Turn the Page, and Amarillo by morning, which were highlights for me. A few people were leaving at 10:30 at the start of the encore and he was saying "it's cool if you can't stay past 1030, I love you anyways and thanks for being here tonight". What ego rock star says that?

His wife Trisha yearwood does some of her songs halfway through the show, she was great. And the opener, this Karyn Rochelle, really good. This girl could be big, and I say that as someone who generally craps all over "country" music, or whatever it's turned into these days.

Nice to read an honest review from someone like myself who doesn't like today's country music.

Springsteen...

Just about didn't go to this one having seen him recently in 2014 and again in 2003.. decided to go as I really enjoyed those shows and thought, never know, could be the last time he's down our way in New Zealand.

Brilliant, brilliant show...

That closing half hour of the main set was just out of this world... band and crowd were just on fire as one... Candy's Room / Because the night / The Rising / Badlands / Rosalita

February 25th 2017...

Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand

Darlington County

Working on the Highway

Glory Days

Johnny 99

Prove It All Night

My Love Will Not Let You Down

Out in the Street

Hungry Heart

My City of Ruins

Wrecking Ball

The River

Youngstown

American Skin (41 Shots)

The Promised Land

Candy's Room

Because the Night

The Rising

Badlands

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Encore:

Backstreets

Born to Run

Dancing in the Dark

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

Shout

(The Isley Brothers cover)

Bobby Jean

Encore 2:

Thunder Road

(solo acoustic)

Edited by Duke1
  • Like 1

Are any of you guys going to the Petty/Walsh tour? It isn't making it up to here. I was contemplating going down to the Nashville show with a friend, but he doesn't already have tickets and stubhub prices are crazy. I really just desperately want to see Walsh while he's still alive and kicking, Petty, is like whatever. He's good, I've seen his show one ten years ago I wouldn't go out of my way to catch him alone.

My review of Styx from the Augusta, GA show on Wednesday, March 01, 2017.

Styx flat out rocked the house last night. The sound was incredibly clean, surpassed only by Rush, in my opinion. The band were energetic, often times running up steps to a "second floor" and playing "on top of" the drum kit. The keyboardist stole the show, even treating the crowd to a spectacular classical music piece that he had written. His keyboards were on a pole that he could spin around. He also played the keys behind his back at times. When not playing, he would be dancing on the keyboard frame. The drummer was spectacular, full of energy, and continuously executed fill after fill. The kit consisted of double bass drums, many cymbals, and a huge type of Tom Tom drum on the extreme right hand side of the drummer that I've never seen before, or never noticed on a kit. He used the jazz drumming techniques with his left hand a lot. The band interacted a lot with the crowd, which was on its feet going nuts as it's supposed to

• Like 4

Saw Green Day last night and we knew it was going to be a good show, however, it was AMAZING!! My friend's son got pulled up onstage to sing some of 'Longview'. Billie Joe had us in the palm of his hand from the very first song. He got somebody up onstage during the first song and later on in the set, a girl got to play his guitar and he gave it to her!

Also, he broke a string on one guitar and the tech brought him another one and the wireless wouldn't work so they had to bring him out another guitar. He really knows how to work the crowd and I can understand how he stays in shape, he was running all over the stage. Another thing, his mom is from Oklahoma, as a matter of fact, she grew up 10 miles west of the town I live in.

They played a little bit of I can't get no Satisfaction and Hey Jude and they were all laying down on the stage. The very last song was just him and a guitar singing 'Good Riddance'. This is in my top 5 of the best concerts I have seen :)

• Like 2

So I just got back from seeing ARW/Yes.

I thought it was pretty bloody good! The drummer and bassist did admirably, Trevor Rabin I thought was really good, but the stars of the show were Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson. Don't know how he can still play the keyboards like that, and Anderson's voice is just ridiculously brilliant for his age.

'Awaken' was the standout song from the night for me, a genuinely beautiful piece of music.

• Like 6

So I saw Toby Driver perform at the Roulette in Brooklyn yesterday and I brought my sister along with me which is rare for me to do (usually it's the other way around). I got in for free because I tuned into a radio program by WKCR (Columbia University's radio station) where Toby did an interview with them about his upcoming ballads album Madonnawhore and the Roulette show in question and they were giving away a pair of free tickets to the first person who called in. As I held off on buying tickets to the last minute cause I knew it wasn't gonna sell out (it wasn't even 1/4th close to selling out as I later found out) I took the bait and it paid off in the end.

From the get go, this wasn't an ordinary show. As soon as I walked in, I got handed out a program book containing info on the songs being performed and musician bio, etc. This was exactly the kind of thing that happens when going to see classical music being performed by a well respected orchestra or string ensemble. The concert etiquette last night was also like going to see classical music; enthusiastic but very polite and restrained applause after every composition. I had to restrain myself from hooting and hollering...I didn't want to be that one guy who ruins the mood. I didn't even take any photos during the performance either...I wanted to let this show live in my memory only. But I was very enthusiastic and really enjoyed myself regardless.

The performance was nothing short of spectacular. Toby performed two sets. The first set consisted of 4 songs off the aforementioned upcoming album Madonnawhore (two of which I knew and heard beforehand, the other two I had heard for the first time) before closing off with a piano only rendition of the Kayo Dot (Toby's main project) song "Gamma Knife" off of the album of the same name. The second set however was what made last night's show a very special evening. This would consist of the world premiere of songs composed with the violin duo String Noise, songs composed specifically for this show.

The songs in both sets felt very picture-esque, it was almost ethereal and dreamlike. For the most part, me and my sister lost ourselves with the songs and sunk into it. We both agreed that the penultimate song in the second set "Along Cthamaline Stars" was one of our favorite songs of the evening. My sister told me after the show that it was the best sounding show she's ever heard. I agreed with her. It was incredibly dynamic, not a single instrument nor musician overpowering one another. The sound was crystalline clear and I could hear all the instruments perfectly from the keyboards/piano, the drums, guitars, vocals and strings. It was also very tame on the ears and at a reasonable volume unlike typical concerts that I eschewed the earplugs and probably was for the better too.

As far as I know, this might be the only time these songs w/String Noise will ever be performed which would be a tragedy. There were several cameras placed in the balcony and there were microphones placed in the front which leads me to conclude that this was at least recorded for posterity. The ideal situation would be that a live album will come out of this...I can only hope.

Nevertheless...perhaps because of the fact I had turned 23 the day before, the fact it felt like a birthday show (something I had on my bucket list for the longest time), the circumstances behind me even getting to the show for free, and the unordinary-ness of it being a record release, a world premiere, and a one-off type of show, this was a really special night for me and one I'll look back at fondly in the future.

• Like 1

Went to see one of my favourite UK bands last night, Mallory Knox. I've only been a fan a short while and already they've played a big part in my everyday life. Straightforward pop rock, hooky and really fun. They were sublime, and I got to meet them afterwards too!

The support acts really impressed me. Fatherson were phenomenal. Exactly the kind of folkish indie I love, they reminded me instantly of Idlewild and I bought their album the second they finished (purchased from the front man at that!).

The second band, Lonely The Brave, were the heaviest of the night. Excellent again, and I didn't hesitate to get their album either.

A great night out with my best mate and it was full of singing, screaming, moshing and laughter. After all I've been through its felt amazing to kick back and be stupid.

And even better with the music I adore!

• Like 2

So I saw RHCP last night, it was so fun, and I met Jamie!!!!!!!!!

The opening acts were alright, but RHCP were so good!! They played some of my favs too!!

tumblr_on7jv2z0pY1s4zroko6_400.jpg

Congrats! Glad you finally got to meet each other!

:dweez:

• Like 1