Concert Reviews

Disco

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Oct 24 2005, 02:18 PM)
I'll tell you what little I remember of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Dallas, April, 1969. We lived in Fort Worth, and my parents took us to the venue, and later picked us up. I was with my brother and sister. We were in the nosebleed seats, but center. The opening act was Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago) with lots of musicians and tons of horns. They were great!

Then The Experience took the stage. There were only three of them, but they were HUGE! Don't even ask me what they played. But it was the Electric Ladyland Tour, so they had a sizable catalog to draw from. It was, simply put, amazing. There would be all these overlayed sounds, and you would look at Jimi and he was playing behind his back, or with his teeth. At one point he said, "Sorry I'm so LOUD!" Then he launched into another song and bumped up the volume. The crowd went nuts. 1022.gif

I was on nothing, but I was hallucinating after the show. wacko.gif

I will never forget that concert.

Jeez, I'm jealous as heck, myself. What a priveledge!

QUOTE (Mental Vortex @ Apr 6 2006, 08:48 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult last Saturday and Buckcherry last night. Both great shows. Pics of the BOC show and a short review are here:

http://www.solarfederation.net/images/conc...6/04_01/boc.htm

I was in a band a few years ago that warmed up for Blue Oyster Cult and the band would not even make eye contact with us. I wasn't very impressed. The thing that WAS cool, though, was I got to meet the stage tech that was pictured on Rush's All The World's A Stage album artwork. I recognized him right away. I asked him if that was a joint hanging from his beard and he said people have been asking him that since 1976. That was around 1998, so the guy must have been on the road with BOC while Rush was on hiatus. I don't know his name, but I know he wasn't Skip Gildersleeve. Skip has had short hair for years now...

Its been a while since I've reviewed a show, but 2 nights ago I went to see Thomas Dolby at the Independent in San Francisco and it was easily the best show I have seen in the last half a year. All 3 acts were beyond words, those being Thomas Dolby, and the 2 San Francisco based openers, The Genie and Loop!Station. The first act, The Genie, is a young 20's, self proclaimed pioneer of the scratch guitar genre. He spent the majority of his time blending hip hop elements and pink floyd epic scale guitar chords, building each of the layers of his songs literally from scratch. What he would do is play a few measures of a guitar part, and then loop it over and over while he recorded another layer, until the final product was one in which it sounded like a band of 10 people were on stage. He would then tweak with the loops by compressing and expanding them, skipping and rewinding them to add to the song. It was quite a remarkable thing, and proving that you dont need a full band or anyone else really to develop the music you want.

The real highlight of the show for me though was Loop!Station. This band consists of nothing more then one man on the cello and a girl with the most amazing voice I have ever heard. They made use of the same loop effect that The Genie had, building layers of cello and vocal arrangements upon eachother to quite grandios scales. The music is very much rooted in jazz and soul, but is done with such emotional intensity, you cant help but get swept away. I have a feeling this is going to be my next favorite band. And with the use of the loop effect, they sounded as if an entire string ensemble and chorus of singers were joining them onstage, which created some very powerful sounds. Of course I had to immediatly go to thier vendor and buy their cd.

Then comes the main attraction, Thomas Dolby. I had seen his first show at the Red Devil lounge last January (which I gave another mini review of earlier in this thread) and his setlist was pretty much the same, with a couple new inclusions. This show though he seemed much more at ease being on stage infront of people playing music, the show I had seen him at before was his first solo show in 25 years, and since then he has had about a dozen solo shows under his belt. For this show he interacted much more with the crowd, telling the stories for how he came to write the songs he played. Even fulfilling a promise that if his equipment (who the makers of were in attendance at the show) failed more then twice in his show, he would throw out free t-shirts. What was really cool was this one camera he had attached to his glasses, so on the screen, you could actually see what he was seeing, and watch as he played with the synthesizers. The highlights of the show were his performances of Leipzig, I Live In A Suitcase, and a version of Hyperactive that was built from the ground up in the same fashion that the 2 openers had done.

Dolby was actually the first artist I have seen to build the music by himself with loops in this fashion last January, and since that show I have now seen half a dozen other acts do the same thing. I wonder if this is going to be a new trend for solo musicians, who are finding ways to expand the sound one person can do with the advent of technology. We will see in the years to come, but if it is, it makes for one incredible live show.

Edited by Moonraker

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 18 2006, 12:10 AM)

Dolby was actually the first artist I have seen to build the music by himself with loops in this fashion last January, and since that show I have now seen half a dozen other acts do the same thing. I wonder if this is going to be a new trend for solo musicians, who are finding ways to expand the sound one person can do with the advent of technology. We will see in the years to come, but if it is, it makes for one incredible live show.

Always enjoy your reviews Moonraker.

KT Dunstall and the excellent Joseph Arthur are also doing the looped solo shows....

Love

Disco

PS and The Machine, what a setlist

Just got home from David Gilmore it's 1:00am in Hollywood and a perfect spring night. he played tonight at the Gibson Amphitheatre. David Crosby and Steven Stills sang backup. The band played tight and the place was small enough that it had a club feel to it especially when they went on a 25 minute jam session. The crowd was really getting into the psychedelic jazz sessions. Everyone sang along to "shine on you crazy diamond" and "comfortably numb". "On an Island" was good too. Gilmores' guitar sounded loud and powerful. Richard White was given a big hand by the crowd and jammed great with Gilmore. The sax player was from the early days and when you closed your eyes you were hearing some of the best music you ever heard. That was it, I was really getting into the flow and the groove of all the band members jamming. Like hearing some great pickup pros getting together on a Thursday night and letting go with some hard jazz. 4/20/2006 telegraphcreeklocal

TCL, sounds like a wonderful gig - I reckon you must be the envy of 90% of this board.

L

Disco

Believe it or not, the best gig I have ever been to was Slayer, during the Reign in Pain tour (I think it was back in'87).

I'm not normally the biggest fan of thrash, but these guys had something very special indeed. Tight as a gnats chuff, and hammered out with an unrelenting intensity, we were awestruck at the end of it.

Next to no stage show, just the music. Funny thing is, I went to see them on the "South of heaven" tour and they just weren't aas good. A once in a lifetime experience I think.

Just back from seeing The Irish Pink Floyd at An Grianan Theatre in Letterkenny.

Really good instrumentation, but the vocals were a bit dodgy for the lead singer when he had to go low (Mother, and especially High Hopes). Very good light show and video screen (particularly the Wizard of Oz montage during On The Run).

The set list wasn't as adventurous as The Machine one posted earlier, but these guys have potential, particularly as The Australian Pink Floyd are now playing larger venues. They played a 'Greatest Hits' set with nothing pre Dark Side Of The Moon -

Shine On (all parts, slightly abridged intro)

In The Flesh

Money

Mother

High Hopes

Take It Back

Speak To Me / Breathe

Wish You Were Here

Another Brick Part 3

Dogs

Pigs On The Wing

Interval

On The Run / Time / Breathe Reprise

Young Lust

Us And Them

Brain Damage

Eclipse

Run Like Hell

Encore

Another Brick 1 / Happiest Days Of Our Lives / Another Brick 2

Comfortably Numb

Roger Waters bulletin: If your in California early October, 2006, he plays the Hollywood Bowl on the 5th. The place has all new acoustics, just ask RUSH they broke it in for R30. TCL boarder.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Apr 27 2006, 09:38 PM)
Roger Waters bulletin: If your in California early October, 2006, he plays the Hollywood Bowl on the 5th. The place has all new acoustics, just ask RUSH they broke it in for R30. TCL boarder.gif

Check out the Pink Floyd thread, he announced an entire amphitheatre tour for most of the US.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 27 2006, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Apr 27 2006, 09:38 PM)
Roger Waters bulletin: If your in California early October, 2006, he plays the Hollywood Bowl on the 5th. The place has all new acoustics, just ask RUSH they broke it in for R30. TCL  boarder.gif

Check out the Pink Floyd thread, he announced an entire amphitheatre tour for most of the US.

Naturally, no Portland.

Just in from seeing Yngwie Malsteen at The Orange Peel in Asheville NC.

The peel is an awesome venue and I was second row the majority of the show. In all honesty, I have never been a huge fan of Yngwie. Last night I learned that Derek Sherinian ( ex DT/ current planet x member) was playing the keys this tour so I deceided to go.

The opener was Orange Sky, who are from Trinidad. These guys were better than expected with a metal/reggae vibe. Kinda a Bad Brains sound, but with much better vocals. ( not a poke at the Brains but this guy really has an excellent voice )

As expected Yngwie ripped it a new one. It really was quite impressive, in particular his acoustic work and classical material. I do not own any Yngwie and only recognized his covers of the Star Spangled Banner and Hendrix's Red House. I had never seen Sherinian live before and while he was never really given free reign to rip, his solos were killer.

Edited to say that I was fortunate enough to meet Derek Sherininan and have a very short conversation. 1022.gif

Edited by tangdog

QUOTE (tangdog @ May 5 2006, 09:24 PM)

The peel is an awesome venue and I was second row the majority of the show. In all honesty, I have never been a huge fan of Yngwie. Last night I learned that Derek Sherinian ( ex DT/ current planet x member) was playing the keys this tour so I deceided to go.

The opener was Orange Sky, who are from Trinidad. These guys were better than expected with a metal/reggae vibe. Kinda a Bad Brains sound, but with much better vocals. ( not a poke at the Brains but this guy really has an excellent voice )

As expected Yngwie ripped it a new one. It really was quite impressive, in particular his acoustic work and classical material. I do not own any Yngwie and only recognized his covers of the Star Spangled Banner and Hendrix's Red House. I had never seen Sherinian live before and while he was never really given free reign to rip, his solos were killer.

I had a coworker that said he was good in SF a few months ago.

Did anyone out there see The Black and Blue Tour? Back in 1980 Blue Oyster Cult opened up for Black Sabbath. I seen them at the Ventura County Fairgrounds that Summer. All outside next to the beach in Ventura California, it was so loud that any following concerts there had to turn there volume down. Neighbors across the harbor 10 miles away could hear it. Dio had replaced Ozzy during the Heaven and Hell album and Tony Iommi fricken blew away the whole place. People were crushing each other trying to get close to the stage. Cult was great, I was right in front and the drummer wore Godzillas head as a strobe flashed to an extended Godzilla rendition. That was trippy. I was 19 then and it was a memory I will always have in heavy metal history. TCL boarder.gif

Ok, just got back from the Yngwie Malmsteen show at Mr. Smalls in Pittsburgh, PA. We got there around 6:15 or so, and the doors were supposed to open at 7. After waiting outside by the doors in the rain for roughtly 45 minutes, security comes out and announces that there are to be no cameras allowed on Yngwie's orders. So... this means I had to walk back to Justin's car and wait in the back of the line for another 45 minutes until security was done frisking everybody. When I finally got in, I look for my friends and low and behold, they're right in the very front! I get up there with them and around 8, the first band, Icarus Witch went on stage.

Icarus Witch is a local band from the Pittsburgh area, so it was kinda like a homecomming show for them. They started with the song Forevermore and then went into their hit, Storming the Castle. The highlight of their set was The Ghost of Xavior Holmes. When watching them, it felt like you were watching Iron Maiden peforming during the Powerslave tour. Definitely a band to watch out for in the future.

The next band was Orange Sky. Hailing from Trinidad, these Carribean rockers take 80's Metallica, mix it with Pantera and go Reggae with it. When they walked on stage we all found ourselves saying to ourselves "ok, what the hell are these guys doing?" Then they went into Master of Puppets... They turned out to be a very good band, mixing thrash metal in with reggae and are looking to be a promising band for the future as well.

And finally, Mr. Yngwie J. Malmsteen came on stage. All I can say is it was insane. Whatever argument people may bring about him having no soul in his playing and just being all show is complete bullshit. The whole time it looked like he was having an orgasm while playing. I ended up trading facial gestures with him a couple of times and got into a pointing contest with his drummer that lasted the rest of the night. Also, during the show, he had to have thrown at least 50 guitar picks into the crowd. Once a pick went into reach of the crowd, it was like watching 50 chickens run around with their heads cut off. I didn't get any though, but we did manage to get a copy of the set list. The set list was as follows:

Rising Force

Demon Driver

Badiniere into

Cracking Whip

Crown Of Thorns

Into Exile

Adagio into

Far Beyond the Sun

Paraphrase

Dreaming

Segue Into the gates of Babylon

Baroque & Roll

Revolution

Winds of War

Razor Eater

Trilogy

Guitar Solo

RedHouse

Fugue

Drum Interlude

You Dont Remember

Never Die

---------Encore--------

Black Star

Cherokee Warrior

See The Light

I'm still trying to get my voice back...

QUOTE (tangdog @ May 5 2006, 11:24 PM)

Edited to say that I was fortunate enough to meet Derek Sherininan and have a very short conversation. 1022.gif

i used to work w/ a guy that was totally fascinated by him! he is awesome, i must admit!

the orange peel & mr smalls...nice!

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ May 6 2006, 12:02 AM)
Did anyone out there see The Black and Blue Tour? Back in 1980 Blue Oyster Cult opened up for Black Sabbath. I seen them at the Ventura County Fairgrounds that Summer. All outside next to the beach in Ventura California, it was so loud that any following concerts there had to turn there volume down. Neighbors across the harbor 10 miles away could hear it. Dio had replaced Ozzy during the Heaven and Hell album and Tony Iommi fricken blew away the whole place. People were crushing each other trying to get close to the stage. Cult was great, I was right in front and the drummer wore Godzillas head as a strobe flashed to an extended Godzilla rendition. That was trippy. I was 19 then and it was a memory I will always have in heavy metal history. TCL boarder.gif

I was there for the Black and Blue tour in 1980 and I was 19 as well

But I saw the show in Wisconsin smile.gif

It was loud,hard and heavey but otherwise an unremarkable concert memory for me.

Interestingly while I was content sitting high on the side in a seat back then,today I would be pushing my on the floor to get up front

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ May 12 2006, 03:10 AM)
Wow! I saw Yngwie 18 years ago.. Glad to see he's still going strong.

Tomorrow night it's Satriani and Eric Johnson for me.. Getting my guitar fix on.

1022.gif

my band opened for Yngwie in 93 , im sorry but as a person i thought he was an arrogant jerk . he is a great player however , no arguement there.

I went to Eric Johnson/Joe Satriani on Friday night in Reno. The Reno Hilton theater was NOT a great place to see a show. All booths and tables unless you got a "pit" ticket where they had regular chairs. We were in a booth. The sound was REALLY BAD! Eric Johnson was really bad. When I saw him back in '91 or '92, he was awesome! This show he didn't even play much of his own material. It just didn't sound good. And the songs he did play he improvised so much that they were almost not recognizable. Joe Satriani was pretty good. He's incredible with the sounds he can produce, but over-all his show was just ok. I enjoyed his old stuff better. 5 songs off of Surfing with the Alien..

Saturday night I saw Richard Jeni in the same theater.. He is F***ing HI-Larious! That was a great show. Also, I think I set my own personal record on Saturday for number of drinks consumed without getting sick. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ May 16 2006, 06:51 PM)
I went to Eric Johnson/Joe Satriani on Friday night in Reno. The Reno Hilton theater was NOT a great place to see a show. All booths and tables unless you got a "pit" ticket where they had regular chairs. We were in a booth. The sound was REALLY BAD! Eric Johnson was really bad. When I saw him back in '91 or '92, he was awesome! This show he didn't even play much of his own material. It just didn't sound good. And the songs he did play he improvised so much that they were almost not recognizable. Joe Satriani was pretty good. He's incredible with the sounds he can produce, but over-all his show was just ok. I enjoyed his old stuff better. 5 songs off of Surfing with the Alien..

Saturday night I saw Richard Jeni in the same theater.. He is F***ing HI-Larious! That was a great show. Also, I think I set my own personal record on Saturday for number of drinks consumed without getting sick. trink39.gif

Thats suprising the EJ played poorly but I have read the same elsewhere. Some are blaming it on equipment?? I don't know but all the times I have seen EJ were unbelievable. I will also say his new disc Bloom is good, but not up to Ah via musicom standards.

QUOTE (tangdog @ May 16 2006, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ May 16 2006, 06:51 PM)
I went to Eric Johnson/Joe Satriani on Friday night in Reno.  The Reno Hilton theater was NOT a great place to see a show.  All booths and tables unless you got a "pit" ticket where they had regular chairs.  We were in a booth.  The sound was REALLY BAD!  Eric Johnson was really bad.  When I saw him back in '91 or '92, he was awesome!  This show he didn't even play much of his own material.  It just didn't sound good.  And the songs he did play he improvised so much that they were almost not recognizable.  Joe Satriani was pretty good.  He's incredible with the sounds he can produce, but over-all his show was just ok.  I enjoyed his old stuff better.  5 songs off of Surfing with the Alien.. 

Saturday night I saw Richard Jeni in the same theater..  He is F***ing HI-Larious!  That was a great show.  Also, I think I set my own personal record on Saturday for number of drinks consumed without getting sick.  trink39.gif

Thats suprising the EJ played poorly but I have read the same elsewhere. Some are blaming it on equipment?? I don't know but all the times I have seen EJ were unbelievable. I will also say his new disc Bloom is good, but not up to Ah via musicom standards.

Yeah, when I saw him on Ah Via Musicom tour (twice) he played perfectly, hitting nearly every note flawlessly. This show he was sloppy, more freelancing.. I prefer for a musician to play it the way we know it. I don't mind improvising now and then, but this was really bad. He did play a Hendricks song which was Ok, and he closed with Cliffs of Dover, my favorite from him.. Just wasn't very good, I was disappointed.

On a lighter note, he's about the best looking 50 year old dude I've ever seen!

I saw Spock's Beard Sunday nite in Fort Worth. They played a small theatre here, and did not have a great showing, but those who were there were treated to a great show, and the band played very enthusiastically.

Neal is no longer with the band, but Nick is no slouch on vocals, and their touring drummer, Jimmy Keegan is more than capable. It was the last night of their mini-tour, so they goofed around on stage a bit more and Nick kept sipping on Jack from a shotglass that was always being refilled, but the music as was solid as you would expect from The Beard. Seemed a mix of mainly mid-period and new Beard, though Beware Of Darkness was the opener. Nick and Jimmy played a double drum solo. 1022.gif

Ryo is to Beard what Alex is to Rush. Complete cut up on stage. He made a comment that when they play in Texas again, we should all bring lots of buttplugs because the airport screeners keep taking his away. Someone in the crowd offered up their water bottle, and Nick looked at it and laughed. Ryo then sang the word "buttpluuug" in place of a word he was supposed to sing in Thoughts, which made Nick crack up and blow his vocal cue. Alex and Ryo in a room together would be quite something.

Dave Meros, above all, is a cool dude. Not only did he book the arrangements for the whole tour, but he spoke to a bunch of us fans before and after the show. Very friendly and giving of his time. Makes me like the band even more. All in all a great night from a great band.

• Like 1

Bon Jovi 20/06/06 Dublin

What a feckin gig,easy the best i have seen ..ever....no contest

a local band did the pre warm up (they had won a radio competition) called Jaded Sun........they were very good,the dude had an awesome voice,kinda like Ian Gillan in his prime,Nickleback were the official warmup,& they warmed up all right,rocked the house fer about an hour,then Bon Jovi came on 2 + hours of great songs (i'm not a big fan,but hey,it cost me nothing to see them,i was security for the mixing booth,so i actually got paid fer it ! ) when i was watching bon jovi start their gig,i got a tap on the shoulder.it was all the boys from nickleback they just kicked back & watched the show,couldn't believe it

anyways any ppl who are planning to see them on the have a nice day tour,you are in for a treat

Edited by lakeside bard