• Please log in to reply
818 replies to this topic

#41 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

Saw The Darkness on 20/2 and they were absolutely fantastic!!! Really worked the crowd a treat. Nice pyrotechnics, and the song choices were excellent. Justin's got a but of a beergut now though.

If anyone wants to see pics, PM me.

Sponsored Post

#42 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

Only took 1 pic because my phone is starting to get filled up with pictures, but last night at the Arctic Monkeys @ The Great American Music Hall was great.  This place is small, only holding 600 people, so it was like seeing this really huge band in The opening band, The Spinto Band was kinda on the mellower side, but all the guys in that band were really getting into the music so it made it very enjoyable.  Once Arctic Monkeys got on though, everyone started pushing up to the front.  The crowd was very into the music, pushing and shoving to get to the front the entire time.  Though it didnt quite live up to the hype in my opinion (which has been set so high that I dont think any band could do that), it was still an incredible show.  A friend of mine got a drumstick, another got a setlist, I got a limited edition lithograph they made for the show (#43 of 100).

Heres my one picture when the singer came over to where I was standing and sung in the mic with the bass player
user posted image

Can you believe that people were lined up at 11am outside to see this show, and that people were trying to buy scalped tickets for over $100??  It was a $15 ticket.

#43 Mental Vortex

Mental Vortex

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Music, sports, travelling, my wife and daughter

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

Interesting that this thread is here. I recently went through a LOT of old photos, ticket stubs, etc. and finally started to scan and organize everything. You can see my list of shows (some with reviews and pictures) here:

http://www.solarfederation.net/images/concerts/concerts.htm

It's a pretty diverse list, so be warned!  laugh.gif  

#44 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26346 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

well i finally saw dream theater last night and wow was it worth the wait. i sat sat 3rd row center stage and 2 rows in back of me was fellow trf er spike . of coarse i introduced myself as tick and being the bonehead i am , i cant remember her real name. unsure.gif anyways i asked if she knew what jawk jaw was and she said "how could anyone not." tongue.gif so the show opened with the root of all evil , from octavarium and then they played a song or two from each album spanning 20 years of music. the stand out moments for me were when they played "the glass prison"and the show stopper was "octavarium" which is a 25 minute song that left me speechless. (prolly cause i lost my voice from screaming.) now the shades of rush part. mike portnoy during the middle of his solo brought up a personal friend of his , the drummer from a band called "shadow falls" the two of them played duel solos for about 15 minutes playing signatures parts from bands like metallica (and and justice for all) portnoy being the clown he is started singing ,"darkness imprisioning me all that i see ....  then came van halen (hot for teacher ) , led zepelin (i think the ocean)and others , (i know im forgetting stuff)  while the band was out of site but joining in on each track as they played . then then started jaming some rush . first there started with cygnus x1 and went into yyz and finished with the signature part of tom sawyer. what made this so cool is the band was out of site jaming along with them and these two guys were smiling from ear to ear as they were playing. they reminded me of a couple guys jaming in there garage totally oblivious to the audience. the fun they were having made it fun to watch. the show ended with metropolis part 1 , from images and words . they played about three hours and it wasnt enough. well thats the scoop on the show , my first dream theater show !
p.s. all the haters , please dont bore me with all the  blah.gif  blah.gif  blah.gif

Edited by tick, 30 March 2006 - 10:22 AM.

#45 Tick

Tick

• Members *
  • 26346 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:29 AM

ill be in chat around 5 or 5:30 to talk about the show . (if your listening larks) great one it was.

#46 Tick

Tick

• Members *
  • 26346 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 30 2006, 09:24 AM)
well i finally saw dream theater last night and wow was it worth the wait. i sat sat 3rd row center stage and 2 rows in back of me was fellow trf er spike . of coarse i introduced myself as tick and being the bonehead i am , i cant remember her real name. unsure.gif anyways i asked if she knew what jawk jaw was and she said "how could anyone not." tongue.gif so the show opened with the root of all evil , from octavarium and then they played a song or two from each album spanning 20 years of music. the stand out moments for me were when they played "the glass prison"and the show stopper was "octavarium" which is a 25 minute song that left me speechless. (prolly cause i lost my voice from screaming.) now the shades of rush part. mike portnoy during the middle of his solo brought up a personal friend of his , the drummer from a band called "shadow falls" the two of them played duel solos for about 15 minutes playing signatures parts from bands like metallica (and and justice for all) portnoy being the clown he is started singing ,"darkness imprisioning me all that i see ....  then came van halen (hot for teacher ) , led zepelin (i think the ocean)and others , (i know im forgetting stuff)  while the band was out of site but joining in on each track as they played . then then started jaming some rush . first there started with cygnus x1 and went into yyz and finished with the signature part of tom sawyer. what made this so cool is the band was out of site jaming along with them and these two guys were smiling from ear to ear as they were playing. they reminded me of a couple guys jaming in there garage totally oblivious to the audience. the fun they were having made it fun to watch. the show ended with metropolis part 1 , from images and words . they played about three hours and it wasnt enough. well thats the scoop on the show , my first dream theater show !
p.s. all the haters , please dont bore me with all the  blah.gif  blah.gif  blah.gif

i forgot to add that spike made signs to hold up that said "jacobs ladder please." biggrin.gif  

#47 Snowdog

Snowdog

In a van...DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!

• 8805 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:09 AM

Saw Switchfoot tonight. Had 2nd row center. These guys were excellent! Great live sound, excellent song reproduction. They really were as good as our favorite band at reproducing their sound live. I was very impressed. The rockers, such as "Meant To Live" were powerful and in your face and the slower songs like "Daisy" were tastefully understated and very well done. As far as showmanship, Jon Foreman is a tremendous front man with a ton of charisma and a great voice.

Overall, a killer show. If you get a chance, go see Switchfoot.

#48 MrMiltonBanana

MrMiltonBanana

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2869 posts
  • Interests:Gilbert & Sullivan

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

The Machine

THey Played

Fearless
Mother
Fat Old Sun
Welcome to the MAchine
Terrapin
The Gnome
Seamus
Us and Them
Two suns in the Sunset

Shine On Pts 1-5
Astronomy Domine
Coming Back to Life
Breathe
Time
Pigs on the Wing Pt 1
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
THe Final Cut
Money
Wish You were here

Run Like Hell

Aslo, Norbert Satchel, Roger Waters' sax player was there fro a handful of songs.

Okay

It was the best concert ever

#49 Mental Vortex

Mental Vortex

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Music, sports, travelling, my wife and daughter

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

Blue Oyster Cult last Saturday and Buckcherry last night. Both great shows. Pics of the BOC show and a short review are here:

http://www.solarfederation.net/images/conc...6/04_01/boc.htm

#50 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Mental Vortex @ Apr 6 2006, 05:48 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult last Saturday and Buckcherry last night. Both great shows. Pics of the BOC show and a short review are here:

Ohh good to hear BOC was good, I will be seeing them Monday.

#51 the masked drummer

the masked drummer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3219 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, 3-wheelers, boating, camping, snowmobiling, minibike riding, movies, video-games...

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Oct 24 2005, 02:18 PM)
I'll tell you what little I remember of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Dallas, April, 1969.  We lived in Fort Worth, and my parents took us to the venue, and later picked us up.  I was with my brother and sister.  We were in the nosebleed seats, but center.  The opening act was Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago) with lots of musicians and tons of horns.  They were great!

Then The Experience took the stage.  There were only three of them, but they were HUGE!  Don't even ask me what they played.  But it was the Electric Ladyland Tour, so they had a sizable catalog to draw from.  It was, simply put, amazing.  There would be all these overlayed sounds, and you would look at Jimi and he was playing behind his back, or with his teeth.  At one point he said, "Sorry I'm so LOUD!"  Then he launched into another song and bumped up the volume.  The crowd went nuts. 1022.gif

I was on nothing, but I was hallucinating after the show. wacko.gif

I will never forget that concert.

Jeez, I'm jealous as heck, myself. What a priveledge!

#52 the masked drummer

the masked drummer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3219 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, 3-wheelers, boating, camping, snowmobiling, minibike riding, movies, video-games...

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (Mental Vortex @ Apr 6 2006, 08:48 PM)

I was in a band a few years ago that warmed up for Blue Oyster Cult and the band would not even make eye contact with us. I wasn't very impressed. The thing that WAS cool, though, was I got to meet the stage tech that was pictured on Rush's All The World's  A Stage album artwork. I recognized him right away. I asked him if that was a joint hanging from his beard and he said people have been asking him that since 1976. That was around 1998, so the guy must have been on the road with BOC while Rush was on hiatus. I don't know his name, but I know he wasn't Skip Gildersleeve. Skip has had short hair for years now...

#53 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:10 AM

Its been a while since I've reviewed a show, but 2 nights ago I went to see Thomas Dolby at the Independent in San Francisco and it was easily the best show I have seen in the last half a year.  All 3 acts were beyond words, those being Thomas Dolby, and the 2 San Francisco based openers, The Genie and Loop!Station.  The first act, The Genie, is a young 20's, self proclaimed pioneer of the scratch guitar genre.  He spent the majority of his time blending hip hop elements and pink floyd epic scale guitar chords, building each of the layers of his songs literally from scratch.  What he would do is play a few measures of a guitar part, and then loop it over and over while he recorded another layer, until the final product was one in which it sounded like a band of 10 people were on stage.  He would then tweak with the loops by compressing and expanding them, skipping and rewinding them to add to the song.  It was quite a remarkable thing, and proving that you dont need a full band or anyone else really to develop the music you want.

The real highlight of the show for me though was Loop!Station.  This band consists of nothing more then one man on the cello and a girl with the most amazing voice I have ever heard.  They made use of the same loop effect that The Genie had, building layers of cello and vocal arrangements upon eachother to quite grandios scales.  The music is very much rooted in jazz and soul, but is done with such emotional intensity, you cant help but get swept away.  I have a feeling this is going to be my next favorite band.  And with the use of the loop effect, they sounded as if an entire string ensemble and chorus of singers were joining them onstage, which created some very powerful sounds.  Of course I had to immediatly go to thier vendor and buy their cd.

Then comes the main attraction, Thomas Dolby.  I had seen his first show at the Red Devil lounge last January (which I gave another mini review of earlier in this thread) and his setlist was pretty much the same, with a couple new inclusions.  This show though he seemed much more at ease being on stage infront of people playing music, the show I had seen him at before was his first solo show in 25 years, and since then he has had about a dozen solo shows under his belt.  For this show he interacted much more with the crowd, telling the stories for how he came to write the songs he played.  Even fulfilling a promise that if his equipment (who the makers of were in attendance at the show) failed more then twice in his show, he would throw out free t-shirts.  What was really cool was this one camera he had attached to his glasses, so on the screen, you could actually see what he was seeing, and watch as he played with the synthesizers.  The highlights of the show were his performances of Leipzig, I Live In A Suitcase, and a version of Hyperactive that was built from the ground up in the same fashion that the 2 openers had done.  

Dolby was actually the first artist I have seen to build the music by himself with loops in this fashion last January, and since that show I have now seen half a dozen other acts do the same thing.  I wonder if this is going to be a new trend for solo musicians, who are finding ways to expand the sound one person can do with the advent of technology.  We will see in the years to come, but if it is, it makes for one incredible live show.

Edited by Moonraker, 18 April 2006 - 12:13 AM.

#54 Disco

Disco

Temerity of Squatney

• Members *
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:Being with my wife, son and daughter. Running and cycling.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 18 2006, 12:10 AM)

Dolby was actually the first artist I have seen to build the music by himself with loops in this fashion last January, and since that show I have now seen half a dozen other acts do the same thing.  I wonder if this is going to be a new trend for solo musicians, who are finding ways to expand the sound one person can do with the advent of technology.  We will see in the years to come, but if it is, it makes for one incredible live show.

Always enjoy your reviews Moonraker.

KT Dunstall and the excellent Joseph Arthur are also doing the looped solo shows....

Love

Disco

PS and The Machine, what a setlist

#55 telegraphcreeklocal

telegraphcreeklocal

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Interests:Motocross, superbike races. Heavy Metal. Marvel comics. Art. Cooking. Hiking and fishing, music, women.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

Just got home from David Gilmore it's 1:00am in Hollywood and a perfect spring night. he played tonight at the Gibson Amphitheatre. David Crosby and Steven Stills sang backup. The band played tight and the place was small enough that it had a club feel to it especially when they went on a 25 minute jam session. The crowd was really getting into the psychedelic jazz sessions. Everyone sang along to "shine on you crazy diamond" and "comfortably numb". "On an Island" was good too.  Gilmores' guitar sounded loud and powerful. Richard White was given a big hand by the crowd and jammed great with Gilmore. The sax player was from the early days and when you closed your eyes you were hearing some of the best music you ever heard. That was it, I was really getting into the flow and the groove of all the band members jamming. Like hearing some great pickup pros getting together on a Thursday night and letting go with some hard jazz. 4/20/2006 telegraphcreeklocal

#56 Disco

Disco

Temerity of Squatney

• Members *
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:Being with my wife, son and daughter. Running and cycling.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:03 AM

TCL, sounds like a wonderful gig - I reckon you must be the envy of 90% of this board.

L

Disco

#57 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 9841 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:17 AM

Believe it or not, the best gig I have ever been to was Slayer, during the Reign in Pain tour (I think it was back in'87).

I'm not normally the biggest fan of thrash, but these guys had something very special indeed. Tight as a gnats chuff, and hammered out with an unrelenting intensity, we were awestruck at the end of it.

Next to no stage show, just the music. Funny thing is, I went to see them on the "South of heaven" tour and they just weren't aas good. A once in a lifetime experience I think.

#58 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7372 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

Just back from seeing The Irish Pink Floyd at An Grianan Theatre in Letterkenny.

Really good instrumentation, but the vocals were a bit dodgy for the lead singer when he had to go low (Mother, and especially High Hopes). Very good light show and video screen (particularly the Wizard of Oz montage during On The Run).

The set list wasn't as adventurous as The Machine one posted earlier, but these guys have potential, particularly as The Australian Pink Floyd are now playing larger venues. They played a 'Greatest Hits' set with nothing pre Dark Side Of The Moon -

Shine On (all parts, slightly abridged intro)
In The Flesh
Money
Mother
High Hopes
Take It Back
Speak To Me / Breathe
Wish You Were Here
Another Brick Part 3
Dogs
Pigs On The Wing

Interval

On The Run / Time / Breathe Reprise
Young Lust
Us And Them
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Run Like Hell

Encore

Another Brick 1 / Happiest Days Of Our Lives / Another Brick 2
Comfortably Numb

#59 telegraphcreeklocal

telegraphcreeklocal

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Interests:Motocross, superbike races. Heavy Metal. Marvel comics. Art. Cooking. Hiking and fishing, music, women.

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:38 PM

Roger Waters bulletin: If your in California early October, 2006, he plays the Hollywood Bowl on the 5th. The place has all new acoustics, just ask RUSH they broke it in for R30. TCL  boarder.gif  

#60 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Apr 27 2006, 09:38 PM)
Roger Waters bulletin: If your in California early October, 2006, he plays the Hollywood Bowl on the 5th. The place has all new acoustics, just ask RUSH they broke it in for R30. TCL  boarder.gif

Check out the Pink Floyd thread, he announced an entire amphitheatre tour for most of the US.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users