Concert Reviews

• Please log in to reply
818 replies to this topic

#21 ladirushfan80

ladirushfan80

Dawn's Early Light

• Members
  • 12338 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with friends and family. Spirituality. Music. Getting out in the world and trying to appreciate and make the most out of each and every day. Always a work in progress...

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 13 2005, 01:07 AM)
Just saw Jethro Tull last night at the historic Paramount Theatre in Oakland.  Before I get into the performance, I have to comment on the beauty of the art deco inside this building, the entire wall and ceiling section is covered in brass carvings, very beautiful looking.  Anyway upon entering the venue, I was given a free copy of a cd consisting of a live performance Jethro Tull did for XM radio, where they played the entire Aqualung album live.  Considering a number of songs were reworked and relearned, as they hadnt been played since they were first recorded in 1971, this gave JT a bit of new (albiet old) material to pick from in thier setlist.

The set was divided into 2 halves, consisting of an acoustic beginning half, and a louder, electric final half.  This half was a bit more relaxed and mellow, with a few tracks from the JT X-mas album released a couple days ago, but mostly older material.  The real highlights took place in the second half though, with versions of Thick As A Brick, Budapest, and a plethra of Aqualung material.  It was really interesting hearing reworked versions of Hymn 43 and Wind Up, in addition to the standard Aqualung material that has been touched before.  I think the entire album was played by the end of the show.

Jethro Tull was the very first (and second) concert I have ever been to, so it was like reliving my first show all over agian.  Ian cant quite hit the high notes anymore, but it still sounds incredible.

i just saw them on friday night @ the Detroit Opera House!!

Great show!! had an awesome time!!

Sponsored Post

#22 floydfanatic111

floydfanatic111

Rushaholic

• Banned
  • 1740 posts
  • Interests:My 1999 Chevy Malibu, buying CDs, collecting anything to do with Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush and the Red Sox. Also the Patriots.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:22 AM

Best concert I saw was Pink Floyd or as some will call Pink Fraud(as Roger Waters was not present) at Foxboro Stadium on May 19, 1994. Just after seeing my first Rush concert a few weeks before with a dreadful Candlebox opening(I have seen Rush THREE subsequent times since and were better each time), I anticipated for Pink Floyd.
I was in the nosebleeds of Foxboro Stadium but Floyd were AMAZING. David Gilmour's guitar was in fine tow and he did well singing wise as well despite flubbing Keep Talking's lyrics(instead of singing "My words won't come out right" it was "My words were not so bright"), Nick Mason was drumming like he hadn't played since the Animals tour and was superb on Astronomy Domine and Rick Wright's Hammond I swear was going to explode and his synthesizer work was brilliant.

Setlist:
Astronomy Domine(I was stoked PF chose this track to open the show as they hadn't played this since 1970 and the planets swirling onstage was superb)
Learning to Fly(seagull film in background)
DG says hi to crowd and welcome to Foxboro and the band brought the rain, and were good at it(a good chunk of the US shows had rainy days on the tour)
What Do You Want From Me(first song from The Division Bell I heard live)
On the Turning Away(was miles ahead of Delicate Sound version)
Take it Back(awesome light show on this track)
Poles Apart(the band swapped songs each night and did this Division Bell number which is a great song and the lasers during the kaleidoscope section was breathtaking)
Sorrow(stellar version, how David Gilmour's Fender Strat didn't break or go out of tune from his whammy bar use on end solo and the lights were blinding)
Keep Talking(great performance, David's voice-box solo at end was stellar)
One of These Days(killer version and had the two warthog pigs from side of stage and PYRO EXPLOSIONS galore)

Intermission

Shine On You Crazy Diamond(pts 1-5)(the screen made its first appearance)
Breathe(they pulled from archives)
Time(with Breathe Reprise)(another great film of inside of clock)
High Hopes(best Division Bell track live and the film from Storm Thorgerson was breathtaking)
The Great Gig in the Sky(was good and had a different film)
Wish You Were Here(excellent performance and crowd sang, I couldn't as I almost damaged my tonsils from screaming loudly at Rush a few weeks before)
Us and Them(had the old backdrop film and was great)
Money(with funny film of alien coming to Earth and a great version)
Another Brick in the Wall(pt. 2)(with teaser of Brick 1, Happiest Days and Goodbye Cruel World)(stellar version with Gilmour singing(like he did on record with bass player Guy Pratt substituting for Roger Waters)
DG thanked the crowd and hoped we had a great night despite the rain, cold and wind(I laughed)
Comfortably Numb(Gilmour's ending solo was amazing and the mirror ball popping from stadium floor was price of admission)

Encores

Hey You(another classic resurrected live and DG did most of singing, he sang most of track originally)
Run Like Hell(with firework display that would make KISS' use of pyro look like fizzlers)

This show plus Rush at Great Woods in 1997 I still regard as two best shows I have been to EVER!

Edited by floydfanatic111, 02 December 2005 - 03:26 AM.

#23 Grandpa Grizz

Grandpa Grizz

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2492 posts
  • Interests:Rush and the Grand Canyon

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 2 2005, 03:22 AM)
Best concert I saw was Pink Floyd or as some will call Pink Fraud(as Roger Waters was not present) at Foxboro Stadium on May 19, 1994.

I agree.  The Pink Floyd show of '94 was hands down the best concert I've ever seen, and I too also saw them shortly after the Rush Counterparts show.  Rush is superlative, of course, but that Pink Floyd show was just exceptional.  I've been a huge PF fan since 1967 and only saw them one other time, in 1972.  Their loyal fans were in much smaller numbers then.  It was before Dark Side came out.  That was quite a memorable show as well.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming release of Pulse on DVD. 1022.gif

I'm with you, fanatic.  Rush and PF are the two greatest bands to walk the face of the earth, so far.

#24 floydfanatic111

floydfanatic111

Rushaholic

• Banned
  • 1740 posts
  • Interests:My 1999 Chevy Malibu, buying CDs, collecting anything to do with Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush and the Red Sox. Also the Patriots.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Dec 2 2005, 04:39 AM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 2 2005, 03:22 AM)
Best concert I saw was Pink Floyd or as some will call Pink Fraud(as Roger Waters was not present) at Foxboro Stadium on May 19, 1994.

I agree.  The Pink Floyd show of '94 was hands down the best concert I've ever seen, and I too also saw them shortly after the Rush Counterparts show.  Rush is superlative, of course, but that Pink Floyd show was just exceptional.  I've been a huge PF fan since 1967 and only saw them one other time, in 1972.  Their loyal fans were in much smaller numbers then.  It was before Dark Side came out.  That was quite a memorable show as well.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming release of Pulse on DVD. 1022.gif

I'm with you, fanatic.  Rush and PF are the two greatest bands to walk the face of the earth, so far.

I have been both a Floydian and Rush-head for years. I have taken the razzing for liking  2.gif as much as liking Pink Floyd without Roger Waters or Syd Barrett. My other band of my trinity of greatest bands is Queen.
2006 is shaping for great year. Pulse DVD(in time for my 30th birthday), David Gilmour's new solo effort On an Island due March 7, Queen and Paul Rodgers touring the US and new Rush album!

#25 endlesslymocking

endlesslymocking

endlesslystalking

• Members *
  • 3384 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:02 PM

U2 was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life.

I'll leave it there.

#26 PuppetKing2112

PuppetKing2112

The Music Database

• Members *
  • 8814 posts
  • Interests:Music, basketball, writing

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:35 PM

One of the more unexpected ones coming from a Rush fan...

I went with a few of my friends to see Kanye West last night at the Memorial Coliseum. I had never been to a rap/hip-hop concert before. I was surprised...he actually put on a really good show.

Maybe later I'll write up a full review of it.

#27 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10798 posts
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

I saw Robert Plant last night in the Olympia Theatre, Dublin. He was absolutely fantastic!
I've seen him twice with Jimmy, but last night topped the lot.
He played about 1/2 of Mighty Rearranger, 4 songs from Vol4, 2 from Vol2 and 1 from Vol3, a cover of 7 and 7 is and Hey Joe.
When the Levee Breaks was out of this world, and he closed with a killer version of Whole lotta Love.
The other highlight of the night was seeing all the R30 tour shirts dotted around the theatre. It was good to talk to some like-minded individuals, including one guy who was at the Frankfurt show.
I told him about the R30 Europe Viewing party, I hope he joined in.

A great night.

#28 legerdemain5

legerdemain5

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

Lynyrd Skynyrd Everett Washington
Events center.
Oh my god, Front Row middle, no way the only other show I saw from the front row was Rush at the Cow Palace during the Power Windows tour.
This show was fantastic, awesome, fun..
Next is Queen

#29 bardan

bardan

Mmmmmm....beer

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:30 PM

Probably not in line with most people's taste here but I just got back from the Warren Haynes Xmas Jam in Asheville, NC and it was absolutely fantastic!! Plus it is all for a good cause. All the profits go to Asheville's Habitat for Humanity. Lots aof great artists/bands playing and guesting with each other. The Jam started at 7:00 and went till going on 4AM. Gov't Mule was the final band and they played some great covers like Living Loving Maid, Lively Up yourself, Don't Let it Bring You Down, Tomorrow Never Knows and a really great Hunger Strike>Dear Mr. Fantasy>Hunger Strike! Before Mule Warren announced some new guys on the scene called Serial Pod and it turned out to be Trey Anastasio and Mike Gordon from Phish along with Bill Kreutzmann from the Grateful Dead. They were also great playing some Dead and Phish tunes along with Nirvana's On A Plain, Hendrix's Angel and Van Morrisson's Sweet Thing. Lot's of other great artists throughout the night including Hot Tuna (electric), John Scofield with John Medeski and Stanton Moore, Marty Stuart, Dave Schools from Widespread Panic, Drive By Truckers, Bluegrass great Ralph Stanley and more.

What a great, very long night of music for only $41!  cool.gif  

#30 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

sounded like the place 2B, bardan

:certainly:

yes.gif

#31 Melll

Melll

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:08 AM

My first live gig ever was Pink Floyd at London Arena, in 1989, simply jaw-droppingly good!

Only matched by Rush's "Roll The Bones" tour I caught in 1992.

I saw Foo Fighters recently (for the 6th time), their current show is amazing (lasers and everything!).

They even teased a cover of YYZ.  How's that?! biggrin.gif

Here's the pics I took with my phone.

Edited by Melll, 05 January 2006 - 07:16 AM.

#32 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
  • Interests:Guitar
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Melll @ Jan 5 2006, 02:08 AM)
My first live gig ever was Pink Floyd at London Arena, in 1989, simply jaw-droppingly good!

Only matched by Rush's "Roll The Bones" tour I caught in 1992.

I saw Foo Fighters recently (for the 6th time), their current show is amazing (lasers and everything!).

They even teased a cover of YYZ.  How's that?! biggrin.gif

Here's the pics I took with my phone.

Sweet!!! I seen the Foo Fighters about 6 times myself. They never had lazers when I saw them though. It sucks I missed them this tour, that looks cool!!

Nice Pics!!

#33 Melll

Melll

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

Not enough bands use lasers, in my opinion.  I've seen the Foos two times on this tour (headlining Leeds Fest, and on their arena tour).  The show is amazing.

This is my fave pic of the FF laser show, taken at Sydney:

user posted image

#34 thestand

thestand

Chapman Stickman

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

Coldplay has a pretty cool laser show. I'm not the biggest fan, but the tix were cheap, so I went. Fun stuff.  

#35 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7372 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Melll @ Jan 5 2006, 12:08 PM)

I agree - I was at that show.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!.

The bed crashing into the stage was one of the most amazing effects I've ever seen.

#36 CloserToTheHEART

CloserToTheHEART

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

I saw Click 5 today. They were at my mall for a free concert so I figured I'd check them out. They were better than I expected and I actually enjoyed the show. I got to meet the members and I talked to the drummer-Joey Zehr.

#37 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

Just saw Thomas Dolby last night, the first time he has been on stage in 14 years, and his first solo concert in 25 years.  Various analog and digital synthesizers were used, no organic instruments.  I am not entirely familiar with his full body of work, but he played for about 40 minutes, all older songs.  During She Blinded Me With Science, his 14 year old daughter came down, dressed in a mans suit and glasses (to look like he used to?) and helped put the music together.  Very good show though, I feel kinda privledged to have seen the first show of this new wave pioneer in a quarter century.

#38 alphseeker

alphseeker

Between The Two Wheels

• Members *
  • 8427 posts
  • Interests:All Things Cycling

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:52 AM

Two shows stood out to me this past year -

Bauhaus
San diego -
Front row right in front of peter - Murphy is as close to god's voice as you can possibly get - Daniel Ash is such an underrated guitarist, he was both flawless and animated -
Crowd was insane - dude next to me got Ash's jacket all i got was a set list from peter -

Mars Volta
Hollywood -
It's amazing how much energy omar and cedric manifest on stage -

#39 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10798 posts
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

Saw the legendary Bob Mould last night in the Roisin Dubh, Galway.
Just him and a guitar.
Played a perfect mix of solo, Husker Du and Sugar.
Night was almost ruined by a drunken asshole(aren't they always?) trying to get bob's attention. Bob gave him his trademark 1000 yard stare a few times, until this prick tried to take down the mic stand.

Bob then said, "seeing as you've been the centre of attention all night, it's only right that you're the first person to leave tonight. What do you think"?

Crowd: Yeah!!!

Along come security, who were far too slow off the mark all night, and ejected aforementioned asshole, to the tune of "Cheerrio, cheerio, cheerio"!!

Bob then launched into Makes No Sense At All, and left us.

What a guy.

#40 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7372 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - An Grianan Theatre, Letterkenny 24/2/06

I've seen it with my own eyes, and I still find it hard to comprehend a drum solo can be played on two classical guitars.

R&G are a Mexican couple who came over to Europe to busk about seven years ago after playing in a trash metal band as teens in Mexico City. They ended up settling in Dublin for about two years, and are huge in Ireland right now. Today, their new album became the first ever totally instrumental album to top the Irish album charts.

Both are classical guitar virtuosos, playing their own style with Rodrigo concentrating on melody and Gabriela on what can only be called percussion/rhythm. The bulk of what they do is self composed, but snippets of Metallica, The White Stripes and others make their way into tunes, as well as a straight cover of  Floyd's Wish You Were Here which the audience sang and a classical interpretation of Stairway To Heaven which makes Jimmy Page seem pedestrian.

There's a video clip from last year's Oxegen Festival on their website Here (I'm way over on the left somewhere in the heaving masses). If you go to the music page, there's a few free mp3s, including their amalgam of Metallica's One and Dave Brubeck's Take 5 from the Live in Manchester and Dublin album.

(One interesting thing, on that version, the crowd is muted during the Metallica bit and reacts to Take 5. Tonight, the crowd was mostly under 30, and went apeshit for the One segment).

If you get the chance to see this crew live, take it!!!!!.

user posted image

Edited by madra sneachta, 24 February 2006 - 06:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users