Rush Live: Indoors vs. Outdoors

Although the latest Atlanta show may be the best all-around concert I've seen and heard by the band, I can't help wondering how much more awesome it would have been in the old Omni or Philips Arena. To me, Rush is at its best inside: where the lighting and lasers are much more effective. So I pose this questions: How many of you have seen the band in both type of venues? Do you prefer one over the other? I guess if you're close to the stage, it doesn't make much difference; but from a distance, I think things look much cooler IN a building.

I prefer indoor. I've seen both, yeah. And I'd love to have seen them back before they had lasers, when it was just lights...and they played smaller venues (between 2000 and 4000 seats would be just perfect). But yes, I like the experience at an indoor show better.
  • Like 1

Outdoors is always better here in SoCal. Acoustics are far and away better, and the concert stank is diminished by 90%. No brainer.

Rush is great indoors too, but I'll take outdoor every time given a choice.

outdoors. philips arena sounds like shit, glad rush and maiden stay away from that place and leave it to sports teams and nickelback. verizon wireless sounds killer, the lawn's nice and roomy

I enjoyed the 1 indoor rush show I've seen, but I don't like how you're forced into sitting at shows like this unless you get the floor or the top of a section. I was lucky to get the top of a section and not be obstructing anyone's view, but if I'd been one row ahead I would've had to sit still for 3 hours.

I've seen both and I prefer indoors. Plus it's always odd when a concert starts and it's still light around you.

Yeah this. To be expected if it's a festival but a regular one band concert it's not as much fun without all the lights and effects. I much prefer indoor venues.

• Like 1

I've seen both and I prefer indoors. Plus it's always odd when a concert starts and it's still light around you.

Yeah this. To be expected if it's a festival but a regular one band concert it's not as much fun without all the lights and effects. I much prefer indoor venues.

Its been so long since I have seen a rock show indoors (Rush 1987) I couldn't really compare the two. All of the last three I have seen have been outdoors and I have enjoyed the experience very much. It was dark out or and least damn close when they started all of them...
  • Like 1

I saw them so far this tour once outdoors but I think the big thing is the light outside being still present. Even if you have a close seat I still think its weird for a band to come on when there is light out. One of the highlights of any show is when house lights go out and people go crazy. I am going to try and catch another show this tour being indoors. As far as acoustics can't really answer that well. I think in general if you have a very close seat even though thats great the acoustics are better from a distance where your ears aren't ringing halfway through the concert and the sound feels like its too much. The outdoor show I saw at Jiffy had no issues I thought with acoustics.
  • Like 1

Ha! I WAS way out on the lawn. I guess that's why it makes a difference.

Unless you're at like a Dave Matthews show, and out sparking up doobies on the lawn, there's no reason to be out there for any concert!

• Like 1

Since i have tons more time in summer, i was able to see about five shows per tour in the last 20 years, so for that reason Id pick outdoors... But for best experiences Id choose indoors.

Ha! I WAS way out on the lawn. I guess that's why it makes a difference.

Unless you're at like a Dave Matthews show, and out sparking up doobies on the lawn, there's no reason to be out there for any concert!

lawn kicks ass, man. I like standing, rocking. my ass is too big for the seats in arenas

I like indoors because they have more control. The show looses some of the effects when the outdoor show starts and the sun is still up. They also loose the ability to rig some items in some of the outdoor shows that is not an issue inside. Edited by JDC

I dunno, it's strange to see so many folks wanting the visuals more than acoustics or comfort.

I get the whole visceral experience, I dig it myself.

But given a choice, I'll take outdoors every time, mostly because the acoustics are almost always better, secondly because fresh air is a good friend at a 20k strong gathering.

Hmm, I think I have said that before. ;)