CA Album Battle 5: Clockwork Angels vs. A Farewell To Kings

Segue Myles

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Clockwork Angels
    • A Farewell To Kings

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

We are the Beavis and Butthead of the forum.

(Me and Mick are Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and Blue J is our Mad hatter).

I miss Narps, he's our reliable Rip Van Winkle.

Where is he? Haven't seen him around here for a little while.

Narps said he's taking a break from the forum.

Mick

Oh really? Any particular reason? Usually people do that when someone has pissed them off.

Well...you are not far off the mark.

Ever wondered why I stopped frequently visiting the Rush part of this forum? Well...there you have it!

I didn't notice any particular post but I did notice he seemed a bit irritated at one point. People take things too personally sometimes on this forum.

• Like 1

Hard to believe the album is 47 years old.

It is timeless.

Hmmm...my math says it's 38 years old.

:huh:

Nineteen sixty-eight, though, was also an incredible year for music. ;)

Thanks so much for the correction. I appreciate it!

Maybe I'm really forty instead of sixty. :unsure:

I tend to forget there was a decade between 2000 and 2010.

In all honesty, I believe time has stood still since 2001...movies, music and literature has stood still, not advanced (mostly, it has regressed), same as fashion.

The last fourteen years has essentially been one long year...I swear, the difference between the 80's and 90's is impossible to overlook. But last decade, and this decade (we are past the halfway mark), what has changed? The immediate world around us, aside from technology, is EXACTLY the same.

You're right. The only advance I can think of right off hand is in the technology area. Music has definitely taken a backslide. Reality TV is the downfall of our current civilization. Dumb is now cool.

Why, thank you Eaglemoon!

Joking aside, you are so right. I know many here would scoff at this, but if it wasn't for stuff like Harry Potter, I am not sure the majority of my generation would know how to use books enjoyably. My era hung on to the joys of literature by the thinnest threads. Fortunately, compared to some drivel, the thread was strong.

Musically, in all honesty, at least we have free will, and those who choose to look back have the best of luck!

I know my world changed the day I discovered Rush and Fleetwood Mac...if it wasn't for the old school, I swear music and me would have fallen out!

i loathed my generations music for the most part. The beatles were my gateway to much better stuff.

Mick

I looked at my music collection recently, and was amazed by the lack of nineties music in my collection compared to the 50's-80's!

I have plenty from the 00's, but since 2010, very little has pleased me. I keep trying, but as you have all witnessed, I tend to go mad overboard for what my friends call dad rock haha!

oh i HATED the 90's scene. I enjoy music being made now better honestly.

Mick

I know you hate them, but No Doubt were a ray of light in the 90's for me.

Third Eye Blind's debut, 90's emo and indie (post 95 mainly), and the wave of gothic metal bands that gave me bands like lacuna Coil and HIM are about it.

And Disney soundtracks haha!

Metal (not nu-metal) had a lot of highs in the European scene, but to this day I have not a clue what went wrong in the US. Some great exceptions, but wow...ick...

And, due to my upbringing, I love 90's soul and rnb. Sorry/not sorry!

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

Oh really? Any particular reason? Usually people do that when someone has pissed them off.

Ever wondered why I stopped frequently visiting the Rush part of this forum? Well...there you have it!

I didn't notice any particular post but I did notice he seemed a bit irritated at one point. People take things too personally sometimes on this forum.

The problem is not sensitivity, its others downright rudeness. Hence my recent rants. I wish I didn't get so stirred up (I do admire how good you are at maintaining a calm spirit).

• Like 1

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

"

let's just say i don't think he could take the tour time "excitement" around here.

Mick

Actually that's understandable. It can get pretty intense around here when tours are going on. Unlike the rest of the time when it's like a tomb. ;)

• Like 2

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

to quote john Lenon

it's just a band man.

lol

Mick

• Like 2

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

The problem is not sensitivity, its others downright rudeness. Hence my recent rants. I wish I didn't get so stirred up (I do admire how good you are at maintaining a calm spirit).

Well, after the SavageGrace fiasco I had to learn to distance myself from the comments on here. I think sometimes people say dissenting comments just trying to be funny and it comes across as just stupidity or anger. You have to just try to not take it personally.

• Like 4

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

Well, after the SavageGrace fiasco I had to learn to distance myself from the comments on here. I think sometimes people say dissenting comments just trying to be funny and it comes across as just stupidity or anger. You have to just try to not take it personally.

Its the almost gang-like camaraderie going on around here...some of us felt isolated from the conversation...(I just rant...I will work on that but my goodness...I am sorry guys).

I see a toy. I throw it out the pram.

But not before pulling the pin, lol!

• Like 1

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

Its the almost gang-like camaraderie going on around here...some of us felt isolated from the conversation...(I just rant...I will work on that but my goodness...I am sorry guys).

Haha! Yes...

"Hmmm, he looks like he's having a bad day. Let's light a firecracker and throw it at him!"

:eyeroll:

• Like 3

If "A Farewell to Kings" was the only album Rush ever released, they would still be my favourite band.

That is high praise, indeed!

It is a brilliant one.

• Like 2

If "A Farewell to Kings" was the only album Rush ever released, they would still be my favourite band.

This is true...another album of this exact calibre and I am not sure any other band could compete for me!

They are still ultimately top five (this doesn't apply to "current favourite", Rush is a permanent favourite).

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

Haha! Yes...

"Hmmm, he looks like he's having a bad day. Let's light a firecracker and throw it at him!"

Someone posted a point recently saying they purposely throw curveballs my way to get a reaction. Not saying who, but yeah...he (or she (hint it is a he)), I felt stupid.

I see the bait.

SNAP! I am dead lol

• Like 2

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

Haha! Yes...

Someone posted a point recently saying they purposely throw curveballs my way to get a reaction. Not saying who, but yeah...he (or she (hint it is a he)), I felt stupid.

I see the bait.

SNAP! I am dead lol

You're a good guy...

...proud to call you my little Rush brother.

(And fellow Springsteen fanatic!)

• Like 3

Dumb is now cool.

That's good news for me.

Mick

Haha! Yes...

I see the bait.

SNAP! I am dead lol

You're a good guy...

...proud to call you my little Rush brother.

(And fellow Springsteen fanatic!)

Who told you I love Springsteen?

WHERE IS MY PRIVACY! GIVE IT BACK!

• Like 1

I like modern music and older music, Imagine Dragons and Duke Ellington, Muse and Rush, and Queen of course. That being said, A Farewell To Kings trumps almost everything I've ever listened to.

Also I'm still in high school! :)

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

I like modern music and older music, Imagine Dragons and Duke Ellington, Muse and Rush, and Queen of course. That being said ,A Farewell To Kings trumps almost everything I've ever listened to.

Hey there!

Out of curiosity, what do you find appealing about Imagine Dragons? Because a few friends of mine rate them very highly...

I like modern music and older music, Imagine Dragons and Duke Ellington, Muse and Rush, and Queen of course. That being said ,A Farewell To Kings trumps almost everything I've ever listened to.

Hey there!

Out of curiosity, what do you find appealing about Imagine Dragons? Because a few friends of mine rate them very highly...

Hard to say exactly. They make quality pop-rock-alternative (I hate these titles) music with lyrics that connect and great melodies. Radioactive is an instant classic and a quite geniusly written song; it's one of the best written arena anthems I know (and I'm into Queen). Their first album has a very great sound to it with many well written tracks, and their new album, while it has its various issues, shows a good enough deal of artistic integrity and light experimentation to believe they've still got potential. I tend to see them as the Boston of my generation.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

AFTK. This is like comparing the finest wine to like… mud.

CA was recorded in a mud pit ya know.

Mick

I think on headphones CA comes to life...

CA a decent album with a bunch of fine songs, but requires a full bottle of excedrin to listen to with the phones on.

Kings is a timeless masterpiece.

I wish I were allowed to comment on these two with respect to current Rush news, which would put this thread into laser focus, words chosen carefully...but Admin and mods have their rules.

What current Rush news? Have I missed something?

Sorry Segue...

current Rush news is my way of saying spoilers. I'd love to be able to comment about how these two albums may or may not represent live as we speak, how the fans are responding, etc, but dems da rules.

• Like 1

Hey there!

Hard to say exactly. They make quality pop-rock-alternative (I hate these titles) music with lyrics that connect and great melodies. Radioactive is an instant classic and a quite geniusly written song; it's one of the best written arena anthems I know (and I'm into Queen). Their first album has a very great sound to it with many well written tracks, and their new album, while it has its various issues, shows a good enough deal of artistic integrity and light experimentation to believe they've still got potential. I tend to see them as the Boston of my generation.

I disagree, but its interesting to hear another point of you. I strongly dislike them, but for someone to praise them this highly, they must be doing something right!

This reminds me of my love for The Killers...so many scoff but I swear they are geniuses!

Might give the debut a spin based on your praise.