Rebuild Le Studio

LittleRushmonkey

Kickstarter or the like is the only way this will ever get done. Does the person who started this even own the property? Who is going to visit this place? I understand nostalgia but I think this is a bit of a waste of money.
  • Like 1

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/92552-rush-buys-le-studio-massey-hall-benefit-concert/

Kinda late to the party...it's already been purchased

--TM

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Press-Conference_zps3jwkpkdc.jpg

(YBG Toronto Sun 3.28.15 )

"This is something we've wanted to do for a long time. To borrow a phrase from my favorite poet the stars have aligned perfectly for us to carry this dream to fruition. Of course, some help was presented to us along the way--all the better!" Ray Danniels couldn't have summed up the situation any better. For years, Canadians from coast to coast have long wanted to do something with Le Studio, either to make it an historical landmark, amusement park, something other than let it fall into disrepair and rot to nothing. Along with the members of Rush, Danniels have purchased the property and refurbished it entirely for the recording of the band's new album Moist.

The new album marks the first time since 1981's Signals the band has worked with Terry Brown, and fellow co-producer Nick Raskulinecz. "We're coming to the end of a road started many years ago. It comes down to pleasing the people who help put us in this position in the first place--our fans. They've been wanting Terry back for years. We've been away long enough. Nick was a must though, because he'll always point us to the fact that we need to be Rush. As you can tell from songs like Tai Shan, albums like Presto, we can forget that sometimes." The 21st album for the band revisits themes from the past, including the 10 minute song "Adam's Rib", prequel to Jacob's Ladder.

A concert to promote the saving of Le Studio will be held April 1st at Massey Hall featuring many artists who've recorded at Morin Heights, but also those who just love the sound the studio produced. 

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Save%20Le%20Studio_zpsroub44se.jpg

Also located on the property is the new winery created by the band, "Bacchus Plateau Chateau", complete with a dairy farm for a line of cheese products by drummer Neil Peart.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/9best.jpg

Geddy Lee joked that his wife finally gave his "grapes" back, and allowed him to pursue his dream of having a vineyard next to a recording studio. While Alex said they will offer a premium line of wine products, there will be a more affordable line for those feeling the pinch of a bad economy, yet still "wanna get their buzz on".

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/wine2.jpg

Le Studio (later renamed Studio Morin Heights) was a residential

recording studio located just south of the town of Morin-Heights, Quebecbuilt in 1974 by André Perry and Yaël Brandeis. The studio, where artists recorded and stayed, was the venue for many notable Canadian and international artists, including Rush (it was nicknamed "Rush's Abbey Road" and The Police. Renowned for its location as well as its state of the art equipment, it was one of the earliest studios to install Solid State Logic mixing tables and RADAR digital recording equipment. By 2008 the studio had gone out of business.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/AnthemCheese-1.jpg

André Perry gained fame as a recording engineer working for John Lennon, and in 1974 was looking to expand his studio, a four-track studio venue in Montreal. He moved to Morin Heights, where he owned a lake, and built his studio there, with his wife Yaël Brandeis. The idea was to give recording artists a venue where they could record and live in a creative atmosphere, near the Laurentian Mountains: The Bee Gees, who recorded Children of the World (1976) at Le Studio, stayed for five months. Initially it had a guesthouse, a half an hour away, but it was burned down accidentally by Roy Thomas Baker and Ian Hunter, according to studio designer and engineer Nick Blagona. Later on a house across the lake was acquired and expanded. By the early 1980s it had acquired a reputation as a premium North American recording venue, after Rush,David Bowie, and April Wine had recorded albums there. "We'd like to return that feel to Le Studio, having the opportunity to live in comfort, while seriously working is what all musicians want and need," said longtime drummer Neil Peart.

The Montreal Exchange looking to acquire funding for building a second studio, with audio and video capabilities, in the US state of Washington. 1.1 million shares valued at $3.50 were sold. Perry and Brandeis retained majority interests. They spent $500,000 on a Quantel Mirage digital video effects unit, hoping to install more equipment to allow the recording of sound effects and film music, as well as aSynclavier room.

In 1988 Perry and Brandeis sold the studio, and Perry retired in the early 1990s. The studio, by then called Studio Morin Heights, was acquired in 1993 by L'Equipe Spectra, an entertainment company that had a number of local artists on record. Rush and other bands continued to do their tracking there. The new owners also built a new studio room, called "Far Side", which offered a digital RADAR audiorecorder and allowed local bands with modest budgets to benefit from the amenities.

The 233-acre (0.94 km2) site was listed for sale in July 2007, with an asking price of C$2.45 million. By 2008 it had shut down. The property remained for sale until 2009, when the land was purchased with the intent to convert the area to a retreat and spa. However with today's news, it's been disclosed the Anthem Entertainment and the band paid only C$1 million for the aquisition. Lifeson noted "We would've paid more. We're flush with cash, but you pay what the market demands. Plus, this album, needed the location of Morin Heights to make it happen...we love playing volleyball so much."

Other international artists to record at Le Studio include Nazareth, The Police, Sting, Cat Stevens, The Bee Gees, Keith Richards, Kim Mitchell and Bryan Adams. Rush recorded at Le Studio during "the peak and the end" of the Terry Brown era. This era is reborn with the album Moist.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 6

Somebody posted in another thread that it's going up for auction soon. Edited by EagleMoon

An interesting movie about a recording studio that barely avoided the same fate is "Sound City", a documentary made by Dave Grohl about a studio in Van Nuys, outside LA. Everyone from Johnny Cash to Fleetwood Mac to Nirvana recorded there. Nick Raskulinecz got his first job there and appears a lot in the second half of the movie. The studio didn't convert to digital quickly enough and was about to go under when it was entirely rented out by one producer (don't know who) for the use of Fairfax Recordings and it survived. A lot of members of different bands have cameos in the movie and their affection for, and explanation of, how things like floor tiles and wall paneling can make a great recording is really interesting. It's worth a look. Too bad Le Studio isn't in a more accessible area, it probably would have had a ton of interest by now.

• Like 2

An interesting movie about a recording studio that barely avoided the same fate is "Sound City", a documentary made by Dave Grohl about a studio in Van Nuys, outside LA. Everyone from Johnny Cash to Fleetwood Mac to Nirvana recorded there. Nick Raskulinecz got his first job there and appears a lot in the second half of the movie. The studio didn't convert to digital quickly enough and was about to go under when it was entirely rented out by one producer (don't know who) for the use of Fairfax Recordings and it survived. A lot of members of different bands have cameos in the movie and their affection for, and explanation of, how things like floor tiles and wall paneling can make a great recording is really interesting. It's worth a look. Too bad Le Studio isn't in a more accessible area, it probably would have had a ton of interest by now.

I've seen the thing about Sound City and I'm sure you're right about LeStudios remote location.

• Like 2

Smooth going in.. Smooth coming out!! Lol
  • Like 1

The last I read is the owner is an group of investors who want to make the entire property some sort of vacation spot. I think the fact they haven't actually *done* that is telling in regard to feasibility.

Sadly, I think the only way Le Studio survives is if some uber wealthy Rush fan decides to buy it, remodel it, and make it a vacation home.

I know if I ever won the lottery (likely not going to happen - not because of the chances, but because I would actually have to buy a lottery ticket), I would try to buy Le Studio for that purpose.... and to have ultimate Rush fan bragging rights.... "yeah, nice memorabilia collection, my friend. Let me show you my living room.... Moving Pictures was recorded in it." :cool:

• Like 3

(Kinda late to the party...it's already been purchased?????

--TM)

-I don't think so..... There seems to be some inaccuracies in this thread .

1- I posted a photo of the recent notice on the door of Le Studio in another thread I made.

The notice, from the town of Morin Heights written in French translates to say the property has been taken over by the township due to unpaid taxes owed and is going up for Private Auction on June 17 ,2015..

Rush is playing in Toronto that night and Ray Daniels will likely be there too. How can they purchase it? Unless RMO reps are there to bid.

2-The press conference in March was not all about saving and purchasing Le Studio rather it was to contribute to the rebuild of Massey Hall in Toronto. Nowhere is it said they plan to purchase Le Studio as well as depressing as that may sound.

3- Land developers bought the property and had plans of putting a ski resort which fell through. Sold again to the current property owners(another developer) has done nothing, never applied for building permits or paid dues on the land for a period of time which is why it is still standing and now the city has repo’d it. This company stands to lose its investment.-Why do that??

4- Once the property is auctioned off- I can almost guarantee you Morin Heights will put a condition in there it has to either be demoed or future projects commence within a short time frame. The city will not want the liability of the building in its unsafe current condition.

5- Ghost of a chance Rush is even aware of this auction...

(Kinda late to the party...it's already been purchased?????

--TM)

-I don't think so.....

Hey I'm just sharing the news. The Yukon Blade Grinder is considered reputable. They did have a news conference...did you see the picture?

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Actually, Le Studio is only 10 minutes out of St-Sauveur, which is about 40 minutes from Montreal.... It barely is "In the middle of nowhere"... Just a bit outside the tourist area... It's 15 minutes from our cottage... Been there many times... I even rang the doorbell once ( I could hear music) and jokingly asked the guy who answered if Rush were there! hahaha! (It was some guy from "I Mother Earth" who answered the door!)... Those were the days! :)

Unfortunately, per the documentary that was shot about LeStudio, it appears to be in terrible condition. Given the changing state of the recording industry, it would be hard to economically justifiy rebuilding it as a recording studio. Even if it was economically viable to use it for a bed and breakfast or private residence, it probably would have been done by now.

St Sauveur is also about an hour and a half from Ottawa. So although Le Studio isn't really in the middle of nowhere, it's still a bit of a drive from the closest large cities. Which isn't all bad, since it was supposed to be an immersive destination place. But an earlier poster made a good point--people want to buy and restore this property out of nostalgia, but is it really worth it? If the studio were up and running again, would bands flock back to it? Would Rush record there again? (It is near Neil's cottage, so would he stop in?)

Unfortunately, per the documentary that was shot about LeStudio, it appears to be in terrible condition. Given the changing state of the recording industry, it would be hard to economically justifiy rebuilding it as a recording studio. Even if it was economically viable to use it for a bed and breakfast or private residence, it probably would have been done by now.

Yeah... Sadly it IS in disrepair....

St Sauveur is also about an hour and a half from Ottawa. So although Le Studio isn't really in the middle of nowhere, it's still a bit of a drive from the closest large cities. Which isn't all bad, since it was supposed to be an immersive destination place. But an earlier poster made a good point--people want to buy and restore this property out of nostalgia, but is it really worth it? If the studio were up and running again, would bands flock back to it? Would Rush record there again? (It is near Neil's cottage, so would he stop in?)

Yeah, it is a bit of a drive, but like you say... It was an immersive location... The good thing is it's far away enough to be quiet, but close enough to St-Sauveur to be only a few minutes away to get out of that environment for shopping, and stuff... I know the lake Neil lives on, and it's about 10 minutes passed Le Studio.... So that's pretty much in his backyard... It's not as if it were located in Mont-Laurier or Val-D'or or something.... When the Police recorded there, they went all the way to Grey Rocks to record a couple videos (Walking On The Moon/De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da??--I forget). I've photographed the little house on the ski hill they were singing in front of, a few years ago... But... Le Studio been abandoned so long, the place must be filled with mildew and stuff, and would probably have to be gutted... But still... The whole property with the lake and the guest house was pretty big, and was such a cool place...... I think the guest house was supposed to be renovated, don't know if that ever happened..... I also have no idea how Neil got ito that building for his blog article if the city now owns the place! hahaha!

Never really understood why the current owners didn't just unload it and pay the property taxes? Obviously the building is a write off, but surely the land has some significant value? And how the heck did it get in such disrepair?

Never really understood why the current owners didn't just unload it and pay the property taxes? Obviously the building is a write off, but surely the land has some significant value? And how the heck did it get in such disrepair?

The land probably isn't worth all that much, depending on how big the parcel is. That's an area where land is cheap enough that people can afford to buy summer cottages on the lakes.