CA Album Battle 4: Clockwork Angels vs. 2112

Segue Myles

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which I Best?

I surprised myself here...I almost went with CA!

But the 2112 title track is just too good...

Edited by Segue Myles

Well, 2112 has an excellent track, a couple of great songs, some other listenable stuff, and... Tears. :|

Clockwork Angels features high-quality material for almost its entire running time. CA it is.

• Like 2

Both are fine accomplishments by the band. But 2112 is also plagued by The Twilight Zone, possibly one of their absolute worst tracks.

CA again, though this one would hurt me to vote either way.

I will have to give 2112 a listen before i vote. I don't particularly care for it as much as the other seventies' albums, but I am not so certain CA is better than it.

My thoughts exactly.

Neither are my favourites of their respective eras.

• Like 1

The title track is fantastic, wonderful, it's what defined Rush back in the day. Side two is good, bordering on great. But Clockwork Angels is one cohesive piece. It goes where 2112 never did, and that's into the land of an actual entire concept album. 2112 rates very high with me, but CA is a notch higher.
  • Like 6

Tears is a beautiful song. And the Overture is epic. But Geddy's voice grates on my nerves :facepalm: on 2112 for some reason.

I'll go with CA this time.

My issues are the production on CA and the rather faceless songs on side two of 2112.

But one has 2112...and only ones has Carnies and Halo Effect (shudders).

I love half of 2112, and like the rest. I love the odd moment on CA, like others, and switch off the rest lol.

The title track is fantastic, wonderful, it's what defined Rush back in the day. Side two is good, bordering on great. But Clockwork Angels is one cohesive piece. It goes where 2112 never did, and that's into the land of an actual entire concept album. 2112 rates very high with me, but CA is a notch higher.

I agree CA is a cohesive whole. It plays like one song, I mean that in a good way.

I just wish I enjoyed the whole...maybe I should return to CA and examine the lyrics. That's what solved my issues with Hems...

• Like 1

2112 the song is just too damn good. My yearbook is filled with references to it by every category of student. I know a lot of people from back then that literally worshipped this song. Doesn't matter what's on side 2.

Going with 2112. The title track alone is enough to tip the scale in it's favor. I really like the second half of the album as well. Twilight Zone is about the TV show, so of course the song is gonna be a bit of an odd one. Bangkok, Lessons, Tears and SFN are all very good songs.

This was kind of a tough vote for me but the title track was the deciding factor that made me vote for 2112.

• Like 1

Almost chose 2112, but there is such a drop-off from side one to side two. As much as I love it, I went with CA.
  • Like 1

The first of several albums to beat out the great CA. I predict a winning record, though, despite the impending 3-6 record.
  • Like 1

While watching the NBA finals I listened to the 5.1 mix of 2112, followed by the live TFE 2112, and while CA is an amazing album, 2112 is just so more enjoyable to listen to, helped in no small part to a lack of ear fatigue.

The 9 votes for CA guys, seriously?

Our chit chat here is all in good fun, except for this specific question.

We know their history.

We know a vote against 2112 is essentially voting against the continued existence of Rush.

And there is nothing like 2112, PTB or SFN on CA.

It's close, but 2112.

The title track obviously is one of the best things they've ever done, and to my mind the grand finale beats out hyperspace slightly for the best song or segment of any song, and SFN and APTB are great in their own right so 2112 slightly beats their modern day comeback and classic.

Couldn't agree with BC more about the Twilight Zone, it belongs on Presto or S&A...it's that bad.