Seven Cities of Gold: Filler or Fantastic?

Tombstone Mountain

Seven Cities of Gold  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is this song just filler, or a grand mini-epic?

• Filler. The song is ill conceived
    • Mini Epic all the way
  2. 2. Geddy's Voice on Seven Cities of Gold

• I love it
    • I hate it
    • It's ok
  3. 3. Does SCOG remind you of any other Rush song?

• No
    • Yes
    • Kinda

Boring song.

Really?...As a bass player, I would have thought you'd love that bass line and bass fills. To each is own. I spent a whole weekend learning the bass part, Not so much the notes but the timing groove Geddy puts on it. You should listen to it again and focus on the bass...maybe it won't be as boring to you.

I always focus on the bass. It's an okay bass line but that's it.

Now I'm questioning my bias on that song.....because I value and respect your opinion.

I'm going to go spin the vinyl right now and make a refreshed assessment on the song and the bass parts.

I know I like the song...but can't wrap my mind around it being boring. I do love the simple yet funky bass intro.

Go play that intro...tab it, if you have to....It's fun. My drummer friend and I start with that intro and then just do a improv funk jam.

I've played it. I learn all Rush albums as soon as they come out. To me, Geddy hasn't written any really creative bass parts in the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite bass player of all time but he hasn't done much of anything that interesting in the last few albums. With the possible exception of Mal Nar.

..."

" To me, Geddy hasn't written any really creative bass parts in the last 20 years. "

Wow !....

That's a profound statement. I respectfully disagree.

Is EagleMoon to Geddy...what GeminiRising79 is to Neil?

I would like to think not....

But nothing creative?...in 20 years? It's your opinion. Kudos...for making the statement and still liking and following the band.

I can't understand it but I still dig her

Thanks for that. :) I can only express my opinion, even though it might not be the popular one.

• Like 2

I understand were you're coming from...

The creative bass bar was raised so high...pre hiatus...we can easily question the creative progression I suppose.

Yet, with VT, S&A and CA...I believe, out of the three musicians, Geddy has progressed the most. Sure...Alex shreds and Neil hammers it....

But, to me, Geddy's bass work keeps Rush's 'Hard Rock/Progressive Rock' dreams alive.

Just my opinion...I am welcome to others.

Boring song.

Really?...As a bass player, I would have thought you'd love that bass line and bass fills. To each is own. I spent a whole weekend learning the bass part, Not so much the notes but the timing groove Geddy puts on it. You should listen to it again and focus on the bass...maybe it won't be as boring to you.

Now I'm questioning my bias on that song.....because I value and respect your opinion.

I'm going to go spin the vinyl right now and make a refreshed assessment on the song and the bass parts.

I know I like the song...but can't wrap my mind around it being boring. I do love the simple yet funky bass intro.

Go play that intro...tab it, if you have to....It's fun. My drummer friend and I start with that intro and then just do a improv funk jam.

I've played it. I learn all Rush albums as soon as they come out. To me, Geddy hasn't written any really creative bass parts in the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite bass player of all time but he hasn't done much of anything that interesting in the last few albums. With the possible exception of Mal Nar.

..."

" To me, Geddy hasn't written any really creative bass parts in the last 20 years. "

Wow !....

But nothing creative?...in 20 years? It's your opinion. Kudos...for making the statement and still liking and following the band.

Thanks for that. :) I can only express my opinion, even though it might not be the popular one.

nonsensical works too

Boring song.

..."

Wow !....

nonsensical works too

Nevermind about the thanks then.

• Like 1

Geddy's worst album vocals in a long time, perhaps ever.

This post is just plain crazy, and I love me some LedRush.

His vocals are STELLAR...it's old school Rush delivered by a 60 year old Geddy Lee.

--The 78.41%

• Like 1

I agree the fellas are playing unbelievably well. I won't even qualify that with a "for their age." Great parts, great chops, strong melodies, and interesting arrangements. In my opinion, which is not shared by all, which I acknowledge, which confuses me but I'm trying to maintain perspective, which is hard, because I'm obviously a huge fanbuoy.
  • Like 3

Wow I must be way off base here. We are now comparing 7COG to Jacobs Ladder. The dozen or so listens must not have been enough... :eh:

different strokes for different folks--but perhaps you hit your head which caused your mind to stop working in the 70's or very early 80's and it doesn't allow you to enjoy good new music.

Gonna mostly leave that one alone, discretion being the better part of valor and all. Not the nicest thing that's ever been posted my way but ok....

Yeah I have to agree that was a bit rough.

Come on...teasing other people's favorite or least favorite Rush music is BAU here. No need to create drama.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 2

I agree the fellas are playing unbelievably well. I won't even qualify that with a "for their age." Great parts, great chops, strong melodies, and interesting arrangements. In my opinion, which is not shared by all, which I acknowledge, which confuses me but I'm trying to maintain perspective, which is hard, because I'm obviously a huge fanbuoy.

All of the above is AOK...Seven Cities of Gold is a serious adventure song.

Probably the only song in the Rush catalog groovin' enough to make people take their clothes off and swing around a pole.

• Like 1

Wow I must be way off base here. We are now comparing 7COG to Jacobs Ladder. The dozen or so listens must not have been enough... :eh:

different strokes for different folks--but perhaps you hit your head which caused your mind to stop working in the 70's or very early 80's and it doesn't allow you to enjoy good new music.

Gonna mostly leave that one alone, discretion being the better part of valor and all. Not the nicest thing that's ever been posted my way but ok....

Come on...teasing other people's favorite or least favorite Rush music is BOU here. No need to create drama.

No drama. Only drama in your mind. No one's hissing or anything.

• Like 1

Come on...teasing other people's favorite or least favorite Rush music is BOU here. No need to create drama.

This dude is

• Like 2

This dude is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIvf_qvuKU

That is one handsome devil. He's saying, "I love Sssssssseven Cccccccitiesssssss of Gold"

• Like 1

This dude is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIvf_qvuKU

That is one handsome devil. He's saying, "I love Sssssssseven Cccccccitiesssssss of Gold"

Is that a picture of Conra Commander?

• Like 1

I love seven cities. The only song on CA that exceeds it in epicness is Headlong Flight.
  • Like 3

Boring song.

..."

Wow !....

I figured I'd get some flack for saying that, but yes, it's my opinion. It doesn't mean I don't think they've made some good music since then, or that I don't LIKE his bass playing. I just don't think he's been as creative with his bass parts in the last few albums. A lot of the flamenco 16th notes throughout the songs and just nothing outstanding.

And btw, I'm not trying to be negative to be negative. It's just a bit of constructive criticism.

He does use the flamenco thing way too often...I'm not sure I agree that he hasn't been that creative in a while, but can definitely see where you're coming from. And hey, you can actually play bass, I can only push play in my stereo!

• Like 1

Boring song.

..."

Wow !....

I figured I'd get some flack for saying that, but yes, it's my opinion. It doesn't mean I don't think they've made some good music since then, or that I don't LIKE his bass playing. I just don't think he's been as creative with his bass parts in the last few albums. A lot of the flamenco 16th notes throughout the songs and just nothing outstanding.

And btw, I'm not trying to be negative to be negative. It's just a bit of constructive criticism.

He does use the flamenco thing way too often...I'm not sure I agree that he hasn't been that creative in a while, but can definitely see where you're coming from. And hey, you can actually play bass, I can only push play in my stereo!

Thanks. I'm glad someone understands what I'm saying. That's okay if you don't agree completely. It's just my observation. I can be a fan and still be realistic. :)

• Like 1

Probably the only song in the Rush catalog groovin' enough to make people take their clothes off and swing around a pole.

TM very funny, you are clearly on another level. (*ToyM...your fandom also very impressive)

Very impressed that feedback polls are rockin during R40 Live

Would love to participate here, discuss this poll in relation to CA album as it currently exists (or doesn't) in the real world.

but current Rush news is labeled as spoilers. So hopefully we shall have polls with great participation like this Aug 2.

But by then it will be historical and slightly less relevant. Such are dem rules.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

TM very funny, you are clearly on another level. (*ToyM...your fandom also very impressive)

Very impressed that feedback polls are rockin during R40 Live

Would love to participate here, discuss this poll in relation to CA album as it currently exists (or doesn't) in the real world.

but current Rush news is labeled as spoilers. So hopefully we shall have polls with great participation like this Aug 2.

But by then it will be historical and slightly less relevant. Such are dem rules.

We didn't mean to hurt anyone

Its a great poll, no one is hurt, just haven a little first amendment fun, I have a current news comment about CA and the relevance to this poll, yet....uh...

"Scene missing"

ok, that was kinda "easy"

;)

• Like 1

Is "mini epic" one of those whatchacallems, "oxymorons," like cold fire or jumbo shrimp?

Yep, same as small fortune

Or a peacekeeping force.

• Like 1