• Blackhawks in 4
    • Blackhawks in 5
    • Blackhawks in 6
    • Blackhawks in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

I'm picking the Lightning in 7. Tampa definitely has some skill. And picking the Hawks makes me nervous.

But yeah, Hawks in 6 sounds good. It would be nice for them to win the Cup at home for once. (You know a team is in the midst of a highly successful era when fans are getting picky about where the championship is won. :) )

Edited by Cyclonus X-1
  • Like 2

Liked if for no other reason than it refers to the "moribund White Sox." :)

My favorite AL team is whichever one is currently playing the White Sox.

Not to mention the one that's most likely to win.

It's how I became a huge Brewers, Twins, Tigers and Rangers fan as a kid :)

Even though the divisions are busted up now, I still follow these teams and root even harder against my hometown Sox.

I'm a north sider, piss on the sox

Tampa has been very good and they like being underestimated..that said Hawks in 6 :dweez:
  • Like 2

It's how I became a huge Brewers, Twins, Tigers and Rangers fan as a kid :)

Even though the divisions are busted up now, I still follow these teams and root even harder against my hometown Sox.

I'm a north sider, piss on the sox

its nice to go to a ball park and get real food, not wait in huge lines to piss, not get hit in the head with falling concrete, and to bask in the glow of a World Series banner. :)
  • Like 1

I want to see the Hawks win it in 7. We need 7 more hockey games.

What about the Revs?

They don't play hockey.

They play the beautiful game, and I've heard they're better athletes (or was it tougher?) than hockey players...

Tougher. Still arguably the dumbest thing I've ever heard suggested.

Lightning in 3.

Hawks are gonna get so humiliated, they're just gonna call it after 3 :P

All that cheese is blocking some of your higher brain functions.

• Like 4

And this is why sunbelt franchises are a bad idea. Four of the lowest five attended franchises (by way of percentage of venue seats) are sunbelt franchises: Carolina, Phoenix, Florida (Miami), and Dallas. The lone northern city in that group is Columbus, which is a whole other story as the NHL didn't do well in Ohio previously, so it's fascinating they would think it would do well know.

Tampa traditionally has a higher percentage (something above 95%), but as this article suggests, they have an issue with snowbirds attending Lightning games to support their hometown clubs, rather than the local club.

In fact, I would be willing to bet if the NHL actually bothered to study the snowbird effect in all of their sunbelt franchises, they would see a local attendance rate below 70% or worse.

Overall, expansion hockey is just a bad idea. Ridiculous team names (Lightning?! Wild?! Blue Jackets?! Thrashers!? - okay, they moved, Mighty Ducks!? - okay, I know they shortened that one, but... really... they named an expansion team after a Disney movie!). Really bad uniforms. Limited fan base. It's just an overreach.

I say the league should contract to the Original Six and the six 1967 Expansion Clubs (this means the Stars go back to Minnesota as the North Stars - the Sharks can stay in San Jose to replace the old California Seals), plus Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, either Buffalo, the Islanders or New Jersey, and a revived Quebec Nordiques and Hartford Whalers (rock this thing *old school*). Twenty clubs. Two conferences. Four divisions. Hockey is a regional game. It should just accept that!

And this is why sunbelt franchises are a bad idea. Four of the lowest five attended franchises (by way of percentage of venue seats) are sunbelt franchises: Carolina, Phoenix, Florida (Miami), and Dallas. The lone northern city in that group is Columbus, which is a whole other story as the NHL didn't do well in Ohio previously, so it's fascinating they would think it would do well know.

Tampa traditionally has a higher percentage (something above 95%), but as this article suggests, they have an issue with snowbirds attending Lightning games to support their hometown clubs, rather than the local club.

In fact, I would be willing to bet if the NHL actually bothered to study the snowbird effect in all of their sunbelt franchises, they would see a local attendance rate below 70% or worse.

Overall, expansion hockey is just a bad idea. Ridiculous team names (Lightning?! Wild?! Blue Jackets?! Thrashers!? - okay, they moved, Mighty Ducks!? - okay, I know they shortened that one, but... really... they named an expansion team after a Disney movie!). Really bad uniforms. Limited fan base. It's just an overreach.

I say the league should contract to the Original Six and the six 1967 Expansion Clubs (this means the Stars go back to Minnesota as the North Stars - the Sharks can stay in San Jose to replace the old California Seals), plus Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, either Buffalo, the Islanders or New Jersey, and a revived Quebec Nordiques and Hartford Whalers (rock this thing *old school*). Twenty clubs. Two conferences. Four divisions. Hockey is a regional game. It should just accept that!

How about we get rid of the Panthers, Coyotes, Blue Jackets, and Predators. Then move the Lightning to Quebec and the Stars to Hamilton. Then bring back the old division and conference names like Norris, Wales, Campbell... That would be a good start.

Bettman wanted to make the NHL more like the NBA. He's failed miserably.

How about we get rid of the Panthers, Coyotes, Blue Jackets, and Predators. Then move the Lightning to Quebec and the Stars to Hamilton. Then bring back the old division and conference names like Norris, Wales, Campbell... That would be a good start.

Oh, he succeeded. It's just the NBA is itself a floundering shithole that derived its success from an era of superstars like we'll never see again.
  • Like 1

Oh, he succeeded. It's just the NBA is itself a floundering shithole that derived its success from an era of superstars like we'll never see again.

:yes:

Lightning in 3.

all of my predictions have been crap - I actually made that prediction for ILs, likely will bring the Hawks luck

Lightning in 3.

all of my predictions have been crap - I actually made that prediction for ILs, likely will bring the Hawks luck

Can't be any worse than my bracket for March Madness.

• Like 1

Two questions:

Who would Emilio Estevez root for?

Is the company that invented clip art still in business, so the rights to the Lightning's logo can be returned to the original owner?

Lightning is an excellent name for a hockey team it reflects the speed of the game and also pays homage to the Tampa Bay area being the lightning capital of North America. Also beware of today's attitude towards political correctness the Blackhawks will probably be forced to change their name in the next few years.

Also they should only play Hockey on frozen lakes or ponds in the dead of winter then all the traditionalists can be happy. Geez :sigh: :hockey:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Do they shorten the intermission when the Zamboni only needs to smooth one end of the ice?
  • Like 3