Get Windows 10??

treeduck

Yes, it is going to be available next month for free for W8 & W7 users as a free upgrade. I think that waiting a couple of months will be a good idea before installing it though so they can sort out any major bugs and other stuff :)
  • Like 2

*Windows Offer Details

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Our lawyers made us say this:

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page.

1 Apps sold separately; availability may vary.

2 Cortana available in select global markets at launch; experience may vary by region and device.

3 Features only available in supported games in Xbox Live-supported countries, see xbox.com/live/countries. Limited number of games available in 2015 support cross-device play; additional games to follow. Stream to one device at a time; Streaming with multiplayer from Xbox One requires home network connection and Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately); Gold also required for multiplayer play on Xbox One. DirectX 12 only available with supported games and graphics chips.

The small print

Yes, it is going to be available next month for free for W8 & W7 users as a free upgrade. I think that waiting a couple of months will be a good idea before installing it though so they can sort out any major bugs and other stuff :)

So reserve your copy, get it on July 29, then just let it sit till say October before activating it?

So reserve your copy, get it on July 29, then just let it sit till say October before activating it?

Actually changed my mind. I've just noticed that the unofficial version has been released for quite a while so they'll have sorted out all the major bugs.

How did you get your notification? I haven't got one yet :)

Actually changed my mind. I've just noticed that the unofficial version has been released for quite a while so they'll have sorted out all the major bugs.

It just popped up on my taskbar today, on the right. I've been reading through this:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Wait for the bugs to get worked out.

Major software updates always has bugs,

It just popped up on my taskbar today, on the right. I've been reading through this:

http://www.cnet.com/...-of-windows-10/

Cheers. Waiting a week or two won't hurt you :) probably better than possibly losing everything on your computer

Seriously dudes, 8 minutes after looking at this article- That little 4 windowed -Get Windows 10 just showed up on my task bar.

I am freaked out right now

Seriously dudes, 8 minutes after looking at this article- That little 4 windowed -Get Windows 10 just showed up on my task bar.

I am freaked out right now

A little bald man in a dark room in an underground lab has finally found you! :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1

I'm going to wait this one out closer to the deadline. Lots of code will be written on my computer so I don't need something as show-stopping as an OS incompatibility.

Also, with all the gaming done on my computer, an OS upgrade early in is very risky. Fallout 3 became broken as all hell when Windows 7 came out a year after the game was released, and that was a shitstorm if I ever saw one.

I'll give it up to when the year deadline's almost up, then I'll happily upgrade for free.

What happened to Windows 9? Did they decide it was crap before it was released and just jumped to 10? :LOL:
  • Like 1

What happened to Windows 9? Did they decide it was crap before it was released and just jumped to 10? :LOL:

The number 9 is the Beatles number and of course they have a record label called Apple which automatically gives Bill Gates the heebeejeebees!! So Windows 9 was a no go all along!

• Like 1

The number 9 is the Beatles number and of course they have a record label called Apple which automatically gives Bill Gates the heebeejeebees!! So Windows 9 was a no go all along!

I was reading some comments on the web and apparently you could be partly right. :LOL: I guess we'll never know for sure unless they come out with an official statement. Now I'll have that song running through my mind all evening. :D

• Like 1

A common theory is that having the OS's name start with "Windows 9" would cause a whole lot of string bugs, and this was just a cop-out way to avoid it.

// pseudocode

if (OS.startsWith("Windows 9") {
// here is where the program would do stuff with Windows 95 and 98 in mind
}

A lot of programs XP and later are built to run on legacy operating systems, like Windows 95 and Windows 98, ergo "Windows 9" plus another string, so startsWith() would pick up 95, 98, and Windows 9 and try to do the same thing. You can think about the mess that would create.

You could probably name an OS Windows 90210 and and the program you're trying to run would try to run it with 95/98 settings :LOL:

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

If you want to get rid of this notification on your task bar and move on, look for the recent update numbered KB3035583 and uninstall it. Then hide it so it doesn't keep coming up in your updates...
  • Like 1

I wonder if 10 is anything like 8? If it's got that awkward 8 interface I'd say forget it. Windows 7 is miles better.

I wonder if 10 is anything like 8? If it's got that awkward 8 interface I'd say forget it. Windows 7 is miles better.

From what I understand Microsoft is bringing back things they took away from the desktop people (start menu). Microsoft had so much of a boner for tablets they pissed off desktop owners with 8.

So yeah, I expect 10 to be more similar to 7 and XP.

Windows 98: Awesome

Windows Me: Shit

Windows XP: Awesome

Windows Vista: Shit

Windows 7: Awesome

Windows 8: Shit, albeit improved with 8.1

Windows 10: I see a cycle :P

• Like 2

The new internet browser Edge has me mildly curious but it's going to take a LOT to get me to switch from Google Chrome. I would bet that it's no better than Shiternet Explorer.
  • Like 2

From what I understand Microsoft is bringing back things they took away from the desktop people (start menu). Microsoft had so much of a boner for tablets they pissed off desktop owners with 8.

That's funny and you're right. I guess I'll wait and see what people are saying about it once they download it. I have 7 now and I don't want to mess with it if 10 is not going to be any better.

8.0 was pretty shit, idiocracy in the last place I wanted to see it; but 8.1 is definitely better than 7.

It's like a 7/8 hybrid... Or maybe it's simply the next logical step in the OS. My hopes are reasonably high however i look at it:

Funnily enough I've only ever used the "awesome" ones on that list! :goodone:

• Like 1