Neil's Mind In DC?

Sgt.D

The Neil Nat Sci fill from where I was looked planned. Also it was brutally hot there with 100% sun and no cloud cover.

Alex played the effing chit out of his guitar last nite. All due respect to the awesome rock legends strumming brown sugar or born in USA...what Alex did last nite, with the overwhelming force to rip strings to sheds over and over, (ok unintentional NY ref), with his finger issues, is beyond compare IMHO.

• Like 6

Gotta be difficult being a tech for these guys, they are perfectionists and inevitably things aren't gonna be perfect every night. But I think overall the mistakes are minimal.

The one thing that I have to wonder about....is Neil is playing TWO separate kits (and not just time) you HAVE to think that this plays on his head during the course of a show...

But I agree that the NS fill/time looked like a plan...

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand everything that goes into playing live and the human element - by no means do I want to seem critical ... but here's Natural Science from May 12th - at about the 4:20 mark, Neil blows the fill - is this the part you are referring to ??

Also - what's up with doing the "Wheels within wheels" part two times in a row ?? ( @ 2:00 )

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand everything that goes into playing live and the human element - by no means do I want to seem critical ... but here's Natural Science from May 12th - at about the 4:20 mark, Neil blows the fill - is this the part you are referring to ??

Also - what's up with doing the "Wheels within wheels" part two times in a row ?? ( @ 2:00 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTocLgbA7-Y

They've been playing it twice like that live for quite sometime.. It dates back to at least to the T4E tour...

https://youtu.be/EndaI-okEIc?t=1m48s

Edited by pfrushfan0122
  • Like 1

The fill on Natural Science is a very cool, unique, and fairly complex little arrangement, it is flubbed on that video and I find it hard to imagine playing straight through it last night was intentional. I haven't seen a clip but I thought it sounded like he kinda did part of it late, after the band came back in.

No in this video it sounds like he is actually attempting to do the drum fill for the drum break, it sounds slightly off but still not too bad. Yesterday he just played straight time or something and it just sounded awkward.

EDIT: Didn't see sgtd's post but I agree with what he's saying.

From what I remember on VT and SnA he nailed that fill perfectly so I don't think this is something constant.

Edited by mrfriendly

The fill on Natural Science is a very cool, unique, and fairly complex little arrangement, it is flubbed on that video and I find it hard to imagine playing straight through it last night was intentional. I haven't seen a clip but I thought it sounded like he kinda did part of it late, after the band came back in.

I'm bummed because it's one of my favorite fills!

I gotta agree with this. The youtube vid seems to confirm that late drum break attempt after the flub. Neil was lost.

My first show this tour but loved it, sounded better than any youtube video I've seen. How did this compare to the other show you saw? And yeah as far as DEW it happens I guess, I was so confused at that part. I'm thinking is he doing something different for this song? Gotta see the video on that one wanna take another look at what exactly went wrong.

My Atlanta show sounded awesome live, but when I listen to my recording it isn't nearly as good. Hard to really capture it.

He looks great in the sport jacket, but Alex needs to toss it for a collared shirt. Its just too hot and hes a bit overinsulated to begin with!

As for Neil, I would just cut the guy a break. So he makes some miscues or deviations, no big deal. He was still back there whacking the drums pretty well for a fat older guy lol!! :)

• Like 2

He looks great in the sport jacket, but Alex needs to toss it for a collared shirt. Its just too hot and hes a bit overinsulated to begin with!

As for Neil, I would just cut the guy a break. So he makes some miscues or deviations, no big deal. He was still back there whacking the drums pretty well for a fat older guy lol!! :)

Amen...great post.

• Like 1

Amen...great post.

I'm with you guys, they were amazing. This ain't brown sugar, which isn't a bad thing either. I'd be interested to see NS on you tube. I was looking right at him, knew it was coming up...if I knew, Neil certainly did.

In his eyes, he looked certain what he wanted to play, without hesitation.

Also spot on with the Alex jacket comment. It was very hot, and he's wearin that jacket and I think leather pants? It was too hot for t shirt and shorts.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

Amen...great post.

I'm with you guys, they were amazing. This ain't brown sugar, which isn't a bad thing either. I'd be interested to see NS on you tube. I was looking right at him, knew it was coming up...if I knew, Neil certainly did.

In his eyes, he looked certain what he wanted to play, without hesitation.

Also spot on with the Alex jacket comment. It was very hot, and he's wearin that jacket and I think leather pants? It was too hot for t shirt and shorts.

I was wondering about why he's wearing a sportscoat...gotta be sweatin' like a hog

I posted this in the Bristow Periscope thread. This flub is 99% intentional. They played this song four times. Neil played the correct fill in Dallas and Tampa.

They're entitled to their flubs; it's just bizarro world that Neil is only batting .500 on this one.

I gotta agree with this. The youtube vid seems to confirm that late drum break attempt after the flub. Neil was lost.

Not the Bristow show, I was looking right at his eyes, he appeared to know exactly what he was doing. As mrf said, he played it straight time. The song sounded amazing, no other bands have something like nat sci that they could put out in a live show. Let's relish songs like that, and the run it leads into, JL, Prelude, Cygnus, Xanadu, and backwards.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Not the Bristow show, I was looking right at his eyes, he appeared to know exactly what he was doing. As mrf said, he played it straight time. The song sounded amazing, no other bands have something like nat sci that they could put out in a live show. Let's relish songs like that, and the run it leads into, JL, Prelude, Cygnus, Xanadu, and backwards.

Man I got The Camera Eye with all of those...it was special
  • Like 1

Was the song being played faster than normal? He may have realized that he could not play the drum break that fast and so he skipped it. On the Power Windows tour in Toronto a drummer friend said after the show that during Tom Sawyer it was fast and he didn't think Neil could play the drum break at that speed but right before Neil slowed the pace and Geddy and Alex clicked right in.

I went to the can during The Camera Eye.

I drained the dragon, Bought a beer and flirted with the bartender before the boys ever got to London.

And still saw Alex rock the solo.

(Side Note) - The Acoustics of the Club Level John in New Orleans was very good.

• Like 1

Was the song being played faster than normal? He may have realized that he could not play the drum break that fast and so he skipped it. On the Power Windows tour in Toronto a drummer friend said after the show that during Tom Sawyer it was fast and he didn't think Neil could play the drum break at that speed but right before Neil slowed the pace and Geddy and Alex clicked right in.

I'm still wondering if the two kits is the issue.... Last time they did do that one was on the Post T4E kit so changing back to the concert tom kit could be tough!

Hey TM for some reason I though the YBG was going to make a special Bristow appearance after rockin in GBO!

TCE is awesome. One the ABC routine was established, I had A and B, so worked like a dog to get a C or two. Hello Bristow, hello Philly!

Now if they were to add a D??

• Like 1

Hey TM for some reason I though the YBG was going to make a special Bristow appearance after rockin in GBO!

TCE is awesome. One the ABC routine was established, I had A and B, so worked like a dog to get a C or two. Hello Bristow, hello Philly!

Now if they were to add a D??

I'm knee deep in my little documentary of my trip. I'd love to have been there. I'd love my 10 year old to see them too...maybe one day!

• Like 1