Coffee, a spice of life

So my wife started adding a bit of cinnamon to the coffee grounds before brewing a pot of coffee in our automatic drip coffee maker. She says it is like adding chicory which I really have never been overly impressed with but at the same time would not refuse if it was the only coffee made in the am. So I really start liking the nice extra flavor and notes of cinnamon especially when mixed with creamer,sugar and maybe just a touch of vanilla. Anyhoo one foggy headed morning she accdently uses red cayenne pepper to the mix instead of cinnamon. So on my morning commute there is definitly something askew with the coffee and call her to find out what she did different to the java. It's not so bad that I have to spit it out or stop to get convience store coffee. As my taste buds warm up (literally) to the new sensation I conclude it is not too bad. So the next time I make coffee I have this thought cinnamon good, cayenne interesting, what if both were combined? So I do it, the 1st batch was not too bad. With some refining the ratio of blends the flavor is actually quite yummy. It has helped ween me off those delicious fat rich processed flavor creamers because with the coffee flavored, just plain or turbanado sugar and 1/2 n1/2 is enough. Soon after I even worked in a little nutmeg and I think the flavor is very nice. All the flavors seem to compliment and bounce off each other at tha same time. I find my facination with my new concoction spoiling me as most other coffees seem bland now. The other benifit I have discovered is I can use cheaper coffee blends but still have the same unique flavor. Which is an added benifit to a man that had to train himself to raise a family of 5 on 1 income, good experience for an ultimate SS retirement. But that is another story. I was wondering if anyone else here has heard or done similar? I have been thinking of other interesting combinations maybe I am on to something new? My life is usually structured that if I have come up with a great idea, it has already been thought about. Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

So my wife started adding a bit of cinnamon to the coffee grounds before brewing a pot of coffee in our automatic drip coffee maker. She says it is like adding chicory which I really have never been overly impressed with but at the same time would not refuse if it was the only coffee made in the am. So I really start liking the nice extra flavor and notes of cinnamon especially when mixed with creamer,sugar and maybe just a touch of vanilla. Anyhoo one foggy headed morning she accdently uses red cayenne pepper to the mix instead of cinnamon. So on my morning commute there is definitly something askew with the coffee and call her to find out what she did different to the java. It's not so bad that I have to spit it out or stop to get convience store coffee. As my taste buds warm up (literally) to the new sensation I conclude it is not too bad. So the next time I make coffee I have this thought cinnamon good, cayenne interesting, what if both were combined? So I do it, the 1st batch was not too bad. With some refining the ratio of blends the flavor is actually quite yummy. It has helped ween me off those delicious fat rich processed flavor creamers because with the coffee flavored, just plain or turbanado sugar and 1/2 n1/2 is enough. Soon after I even worked in a little nutmeg and I think the flavor is very nice. All the flavors seem to compliment and bounce off each other at tha same time. I find my facination with my new concoction spoiling me as most other coffees seem bland now. The other benifit I have discovered is I can use cheaper coffee blends but still have the same unique flavor. Which is an added benifit to a man that had to train himself to raise a family of 5 on 1 income, good experience for an ultimate SS retirement. But that is another story. I was wondering if anyone else here has heard or done similar? I have been thinking of other interesting combinations maybe I am on to something new? My life is usually structured that if I have come up with a great idea, it has already been thought about.

Whats the ratio?

Sounds interesting. :coffee:

Edited by troutman

So my wife started adding a bit of cinnamon to the coffee grounds before brewing a pot of coffee in our automatic drip coffee maker. She says it is like adding chicory which I really have never been overly impressed with but at the same time would not refuse if it was the only coffee made in the am. So I really start liking the nice extra flavor and notes of cinnamon especially when mixed with creamer,sugar and maybe just a touch of vanilla. Anyhoo one foggy headed morning she accdently uses red cayenne pepper to the mix instead of cinnamon. So on my morning commute there is definitly something askew with the coffee and call her to find out what she did different to the java. It's not so bad that I have to spit it out or stop to get convience store coffee. As my taste buds warm up (literally) to the new sensation I conclude it is not too bad. So the next time I make coffee I have this thought cinnamon good, cayenne interesting, what if both were combined? So I do it, the 1st batch was not too bad. With some refining the ratio of blends the flavor is actually quite yummy. It has helped ween me off those delicious fat rich processed flavor creamers because with the coffee flavored, just plain or turbanado sugar and 1/2 n1/2 is enough. Soon after I even worked in a little nutmeg and I think the flavor is very nice. All the flavors seem to compliment and bounce off each other at tha same time. I find my facination with my new concoction spoiling me as most other coffees seem bland now. The other benifit I have discovered is I can use cheaper coffee blends but still have the same unique flavor. Which is an added benifit to a man that had to train himself to raise a family of 5 on 1 income, good experience for an ultimate SS retirement. But that is another story. I was wondering if anyone else here has heard or done similar? I have been thinking of other interesting combinations maybe I am on to something new? My life is usually structured that if I have come up with a great idea, it has already been thought about.

Whats the ratio?

Well for a full pot, the Cayenne is needed no more that 1/16-1/8 teaspoon then the cinnamon and nutmeg between 1/8-1/4 teaspoon. Now fair warning I do the Justin Wilson measuring technique. Which if you are familiar with the ole cajun chef he never formally measured anything just eyeballed it and a pinch here & a pinch there. Considering I still am not fully awake right out of bed, the last thing I need is a big production lol. So I gently tap the dried spice container(s)over the coffee grounds till I see the coverage I recognize. but this morning I did actually attempted measuring using a 1/4 teaspoon (It's the smallest one I have) so I could share with all.

• Like 2

Whats the ratio?

Well for a full pot, the Cayenne is needed no more that 1/16-1/8 teaspoon then the cinnamon and nutmeg between 1/8-1/4 teaspoon. Now fair warning I do the Justin Wilson measuring technique. Which if you are familiar with the ole cajun chef he never formally measured anything just eyeballed it and a pinch here & a pinch there. Considering I still am not fully awake right out of bed, the last thing I need is a big production lol. So I gently tap the dried spice container(s)over the coffee grounds till I see the coverage I recognize. but this morning I did actually attempted measuring using a 1/4 teaspoon (It's the smallest one I have) so I could share with all.

Thanks,

I will try it Sunday but only half of everything.

Edited by troutman

I like coffee flavored coffee. The only other thing that goes into my cup is half and half.

I discovered recently a new spice to add to my coffee grounds before brewing. I got the idea from a tea that has become one of my better 1/2's top ten. Tumeric! Yep Tumeric it adds a subltle smoothness when added with my other spices of choice and Tumeric is in the super foods sections of spices. I know probably most of you might think that I am nuts and most of you that know me know that to be more than true :P But I felt compelled to share. :D