Anyone surprised that Ged is singing as well as he is this tour?

Alchemical

@78Jazz

Could not disagree more. Please see ATWAS through ESL. He is pitch perfect throughout, but his tone does improve as he matures.

I wonder if you are speaking just of those 2 releases, those 2 and the studio releases, or the recorded performances from that era.

He sounds good but it sounds as if his voice doesn't wake up until after Far Cry. He doesn't sound too good on The Anarchist this tour.

I've listened to many old bootlegs, and it isn't unusual that his voice got better as the show progressed.

But I do think he sounds very good on this tour.

In my opinion he sounds worse on the newer material and the worst of the worst is One Little Victory. Once he gets past that era he sounds as good as can be expected and maybe better than could be expected. As soon as we hit Animate it was all uphill from there. Doesn't seem it should be that way but that was my experience anyway... :codger:
  • Like 3

In my opinion he sounds worse on the newer material and the worst of the worst is One Little Victory. Once he gets past that era he sounds as good as can be expected and maybe better than could be expected. As soon as we hit Animate it was all uphill from there. Doesn't seem it should be that way but that was my experience anyway... :codger:

I think that too. He's actually sounding better on the older stuff, considering everything, than he does on the newer stuff. It's almost as if the newer stuff just doesn't fit his range anymore. Weird. What a change from last tour.

I think that too. He's actually sounding better on the older stuff, considering everything, than he does on the newer stuff. It's almost as if the newer stuff just doesn't fit his range anymore. Weird. What a change from last tour.

Love when we agree. Gives me the warm and fuzzies... :D
  • Like 1

the worst of the worst is One Little Victory. Once he gets past that era he sounds as good as can be expected and maybe better than could be expected. As soon as we hit Animate it was all uphill from there.

This is exactly how it went at my show too.

• Like 1

Geddy IS singing well. Amazing is not the correct word, please.

He doesn't sound amazing and he doesn't even sound all that good. He does sound stable and smooth, especially compared to the past two tours. His voice is shot and I commend his efforts, but stop deluding yourselves that he sounds great. Great was ESL and HYF.

What we have now is a 60 year old man with a seriously strained voice who is giving us one final shot, which is awesome. I don't care that his voice sounds like crap, but I don't kid myself that he sounds awesome, either. He's Geddy Frickin Lee. He is what he is and always has been, which is awesome in my book.

Semantics and opinion stated as fact. Nice job

Everyone needs a niche in life :)

He doesn't sound amazing and he doesn't even sound all that good. He does sound stable and smooth, especially compared to the past two tours. His voice is shot and I commend his efforts, but stop deluding yourselves that he sounds great. Great was ESL and HYF.

What we have now is a 60 year old man with a seriously strained voice who is giving us one final shot, which is awesome. I don't care that his voice sounds like crap, but I don't kid myself that he sounds awesome, either. He's Geddy Frickin Lee. He is what he is and always has been, which is awesome in my book.

Funny you mention "stable and smooth", as I think his control when he was younger was awful. I wouldn't call the HYF vocals great, but to my ears the start of being a bit sharp for about 4 tours.

My error was ESL through HYF, not and. My error. I think Geddys voice started deteriorating after HYF

Funny you mention "stable and smooth", as I think his control when he was younger was awful. I wouldn't call the HYF vocals great, but to my ears the start of being a bit sharp for about 4 tours.

My error was ESL through HYF, not and. My error. I think Geddys voice started deteriorating after HYF

I don't think his voice has deteriorated so much as had a timbre change (which I think started to be noticeable on the Time Machine tour. This doesn't mean his voice didn't change until then, but I think with his timbre being darker a key change of some of the material would offset the complaints of his voice as of late. I did this with a version of Bravado from the last tour in Eb, and it seemed to work. I wonder if this would help, but I think this approach would be best if they just tried different keys for songs instead of just a downtune for everything. Also, I have not seen this tour yet and I thought his voice sounded great through the Periscope feed for the Tampa show).

I don't think his voice has deteriorated so much as had a timbre change (which I think started to be noticeable on the Time Machine tour. This doesn't mean his voice didn't change until then, but I think with his timbre being darker a key change of some of the material would offset the complaints of his voice as of late. I did this with a version of Bravado from the last tour in Eb, and it seemed to work. I wonder if this would help, but I think this approach would be best if they just tried different keys for songs instead of just a downtune for everything. Also, I have not seen this tour yet and I thought his voice sounded great through the Periscope feed for the Tampa show).

Down tuning does change the key of the song

Yep. That I knew.

Yep. That I knew.

Down tuning is the only way to go about it if you have to lower the pitch of the notes he is singing. Plus you can only go down several keys before it sounds like mud. An example would be several of the songs they're doing in the second set. They sound kinda grungy because of the down tuning. It's not a bad thing but if they'd gone any lower it wouldn't have worked.

Edited by EagleMoon

The approach I refer to is how the Police keyed some of those songs on their reunion tour. Some stuff may work in keys that wouldn't be just making everything a half step, whole-step, three semitones down whatever in terms of guitar tunings.
  • Like 1

The approach I refer to is how the Police keyed some of those songs on their reunion tour. Some stuff may work in keys that wouldn't be just making everything a half step, whole-step, three semitones down whatever in terms of guitar tunings.

I don't think so. The reason I say that is because it's the higher pitch that he has trouble with. Changing the key, unless it's lower, won't make any difference. As it is, he's singing a lot of the older stuff falsetto which he never used to do. He's been hitting the notes up until the last show, from what I've heard.

Just got back from the show don't know what people are talking about, thought the whole band sounded great especially geddy. Maybe a little wailing here and there especially OLV but thats expected. Thought he had good control with his voice tonight, don't know how it sounded off a periscope feed. I also don't know what the hell happened during DEW neil was doing something weird other than that perfect night…2112 alex had guitars screw up but minor thing in the end. Thought they sounded really tight overall.

Random question for anyone that went tonight: Ive seen them since VT tour but missed CA/TM. I noticed a lot of women today at Bristow which was always good. Have things changed over the last few tours/years or was it just this random show. It definitely is not the sausage fest it used to be…lol.

Edited by mrfriendly

Just got back from the show don't know what people are talking about, thought the whole band sounded great especially geddy. Maybe a little wailing here and there especially OLV but thats expected. Thought he had good control with his voice tonight, don't know how it sounded off a periscope feed. I also don't know what the hell happened during DEW neil was doing something weird other than that perfect night…2112 alex had guitars screw up but minor thing in the end. Thought they sounded really tight overall.

Random question for anyone that went tonight: Ive seen them since VT tour but missed CA/TM. I noticed a lot of women today at Bristow which was always good. Have things changed over the last few tours/years or was it just this random show. It definitely is not the sausage fest it used to be…lol.

There were a fair number of the fairer sex at both the Austin and Houston shows.

• Like 1

There were a fair number of the fairer sex at both the Austin and Houston shows.

In Atlanta I would say the same thing was true. Plenty of females but most of them appeared to be with spouses/boyfriends from what I observed around me anyway. Don't think to many were there on their own or with other ladies... Edited by Narps

One other thing as far as Ged's voice is concerned. Maybe the periscope feeds just make everything sound like sh*t? Every one of them I have checked in on sounds that way. The Atlanta show I attended probably sounded lousy too on periscope but I promise you it certainly didn't live and in person. As I have posted Ged struggled at the beginning with the newer material and OLV in particular and then we hit Animate and it was clear sailing from there. What he pulled off on 2112 even surprised me. I didn't think he would attempt the Priests reply in the song but he did and did it quite well I thought... :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 3

In Atlanta I would say the same thing was true. Plenty of females but most of them appeared to be with spouses/boyfriends from what I observed around me anyway. Don't think to many were there on their own or with other ladies...

Whether they were there with boyfriends or husbands always good to see ladies at Rush shows. I feel like when I saw them from VT/R30/SA it was nothing but a sausage fest, lol. Especially after hearing all these jokes about no lineup for woman's bathroom I figured this would continue but there really was a substantial amount of females.

Narps, completely agree with you on Geds voice honestly I was stunned. I missed CA/TM tours but those blu rays made me think his voice was completely shot and he's getting old. They must have recorded on bad days for him because he really did sound great. The wailing on OLV I'm kinda used to now but after that he was perfect I thought. Especially on Presentation for 2112 sure he couldn't hit the notes the way he does on Different Stages but still sound great and clear.

EDIT: Another random question not pertaining to tonights show and didn't want to start a new thread…. they are filming both T.O. shows, do we have a realistic shot of getting it released this fall or would that be too soon? I noticed the majority of their live releases have come out the following year they were recorded except for Time Machine. I think they shot that in April and it came out that fall. Ironically that was the release with the best video production IMO. Would love to get this thing ASAP.

Edited by mrfriendly
  • Like 1