Bah, drama at work yesterday

I was out of the office at the time, but heard all about it later.

My bilingual (english/spanish) paralegal got fired by Big Boss in a sudden event when Big Boss learned he had inquired to a rival law firm about possible employment there, in the not unreasonable pursuit of seeing if he could get a higher paying position elsewhere. If he had applied to any other firm except that particular one, it would not have been a problem. But it just so happens that the one he inquired into was one headed by a lawyer with a history of a great deal of animosity between him and Big Boss (the extent of which said paralegal was unaware of), and when Big Boss learned that, he saw red and immediately summoned said paralegal to his office and, without giving him any chance to explain, summarily dismissed him with an icy "your services are no longer needed at this firm" and "now get the hell out".

Nobody bothered to inform me of that. The first I heard of it was last night when said paralegal called me to say he enjoyed working with me and was glad he had gotten to know me and how he learned a lot from me. We talked for awhile, and I told him to stay in touch, that he was not only a co-worker but a personal friend, and that I would be happy to write a good recommendation for him if he needed one.

Now I am stuck with many cases where the clients speak only Spanish, which I don't speak. OMG. Anybody speak fluent English and Spanish, familiar with legal work, and looking for a job in upstate SC?

Ah well, human drama . . .

• Like 3

hmm....I would get drunk and call Big Boss a complete f***ing fool if I were you. :dweez:

Except I don't want to hear: "your services are no longer needed at this firm, now get the hell out!"

• Like 2

First and foremost the clients need to learn to speak ENGLISH!

Well, they might "need" to do that, but the fact remains that they don't speak english at this moment in time.

Then they need to go elsewhere.

When you are in business you cater to your clients. You don't make demands on them.

Its not a demand,

It is and should be a requirement.

• Like 3

Well, they might "need" to do that, but the fact remains that they don't speak english at this moment in time.

Then they need to go elsewhere.

Regardless of that opinion, the fact remains that they are here currently and have legal cases here currently.

When you are in business you cater to your clients. You don't make demands on them.

Its not a demand,

You trying to get this thread moved to SOCN?

• Like 2

hmm....I would get drunk and call Big Boss a complete f***ing fool if I were you. :dweez:

Except I don't want to hear: "your services are no longer needed at this firm, now get the hell out!"

he'll respect your ballsiness and hire your buddy back. trust me, this works at every job I've ever had.

• Like 1

Its not a demand,

exactly what I was thinking

Its not a demand,

Why?

he'll respect your ballsiness and hire your buddy back. trust me, this works at every job I've ever had.

No, I know Big Boss well enough to assure you that is not a realistic scenario.

• Like 1

The Big Boss, while having every right to do what he did, seems like an asshole, and worse than that, someone who lets his ego override the best interests of the firm.

Good luck to your friend in finding a better job.

• Like 4

The Big Boss, while having every right to do what he did, seems like an asshole, and worse than that, someone who lets his ego override the best interests of the firm.

Actually, Big Boss is quite the pleasant easy going guy for the most part, slow to anger in general. But he does have a few touchy subjects upon which there is no negotiating, like this one. Alas. Believe me, if I thought there was the slightest snow ball chance in hell of getting him to change his mind on this, I would be all over it. But there isn't. It is a done deal.

Its not a demand,

Not at all,

In fact I was just thinking this. I will leave it at that. I had a really good friend that was in a car accident and the person who hit her could not speak english when he was caught. If I were in another country I would learn the languge plain and simple. Thats all I am saying here.

Actually, Big Boss is quite the pleasant easy going guy for the most part, slow to anger in general. But he does have a few touchy subjects upon which there is no negotiating, like this one. Alas. Believe me, if I thought there was the slightest snow ball chance in hell of getting him to change his mind on this, I would be all over it. But there isn't. It is a done deal.

Glad to hear a more rounded view of him, but if I understand the situation he's in the wrong here. Losing a good employee over something like this without a replacement in mind doesn't seem like it would ever be good business practice.

Anyway, if anybody out there meets the criterion of "fluent in both English and Spanish, familiar with legal work, and looking for a job in upstate SC" -- pm me. Seriously.

No, I am not just putting this out on this forum, but instead wherever I can think of.

• Like 1

Its not a demand,

LOL seems like it. Big Boss is an ass hat.

Glad to hear a more rounded view of him, but if I understand the situation he's in the wrong here. Losing a good employee over something like this without a replacement in mind doesn't seem like it would ever be good business practice.

Well, you are correct in that he let a personal ego situation overwhelm other more objective considerations.

• Like 1

Anyway, if anybody out there meets the criterion of "fluent in both English and Spanish, familiar with legal work, and looking for a job in upstate SC" -- pm me. Seriously.

No, I am not just putting this out on this forum, but instead wherever I can think of.

I really wish you good luck on finding a replacement. Not trying to stir up any sh**!

• Like 1

I really wish you good luck on finding a replacement. Not trying to stir up any sh**!

De Nada. Yo hablo espanol un poquito.

• Like 1

De Nada. Yo hablo espanol un poquito.

Translation: " don't worry, tis nothing. I speak spanish just a little bit" I intended to continue with "but not nearly enough to deal with these clients" but don't know enough Spanish to say that in Spanish.

• Like 1