Favorite Beers

ILSnwdog

As far as some "German" beers going South, not surprising. Spaten-Franziskaner-Brau is now owned by macro brew conglomerate Anheuser-Busch InBev. Who has tried taking over even the crafts. They lured Goose Island in, but when the tried with Dogfish Head, owner Sam Calagione basically said, "piss off, trolls."
  • Like 1

As far as some "German" beers going South, not surprising. Spaten-Franziskaner-Brau is now owned by macro brew conglomerate Anheuser-Busch InBev. Who has tried taking over even the crafts. They lured Goose Island in, but when the tried with Dogfish Head, owner Sam Calagione basically said, "piss off, trolls."

Dogfish 90 minute ipa is great.

AB Inbev can piss off for sure

Free ones.

which are ice cold.

free goes along way and i can drink most beers. not scotch ale. german beer is hit or miss for me. lambics and other open fermented beers are not my cup of tea either. most mexican beers are ok but in general avoid them due to their "B" status. yikes

PBR me ASAP

Don't count Beck's as a hit or miss German beer. When it was imported to the U.S., it had a great taste. As soon as it got taken over by a brewery in St. Louis, Missouri, it naturally turned into piss.

It was usually good but not always. Not the fault of the brewer but at times in the 80s i would encounter a batch past their expiration date. I liked becks and especially becks dark. I was actually thinking about german wheat beers and I think Spaten which kicked my ass once.

German beer wasnt the only offender in the pre micro brew days to be like that. I cant the remember the last saint pauli or grolsch i drank. used to love them both

No expiration date involved. They just decided to put a Miller Light-type crap in a Beck's bottle and sell it at a higher price. American beer - just kill me now.

i dont doubt you but i also dont think i have drank any becks in the past 25+ years. regardless, beer does go bad in bottles. That sucks they ran a great beer into the shit zone. like i said, back in the day becks dark was top shelf beer.

i have read that the heinken that they sell here in the states is a far cry from the original.

I appreciate your comments, Beck's was my choice for many years, but beer can't go bad in bottles if the expiration date is right, unless you fill it with sub-par ingredients. You must understand this company's move messed up my life. :boohoo:

all you can do is grin and beer it!

Amen to both.

My main DFH go to is My Antonia, which I've only seen at Total Wine in bombers. God, there's a beercation, head up to Milton, or better still their pub in Rehoboth Beach.

Ah, my next one will likely be back in MI-but that won't be too shabby.

Amen to both.

My main DFH go to is My Antonia, which I've only seen at Total Wine in bombers. God, there's a beercation, head up to Milton, or better still their pub in Rehoboth Beach.

Ah, my next one will likely be back in MI-but that won't be too shabby.

No it wont. a good beer scene there for sure.

enjoy

i actually live in a major beer destination. 30+ breweries in the area. i sit at home drinking PBR. hardly go out to breweries anymore. not to say i dont or dont enjoy the their good work but not into the scene anymore. or the prices! yikes.

Free ones.

which are ice cold.

free goes along way and i can drink most beers. not scotch ale. german beer is hit or miss for me. lambics and other open fermented beers are not my cup of tea either. most mexican beers are ok but in general avoid them due to their "B" status. yikes

PBR me ASAP

Don't count Beck's as a hit or miss German beer. When it was imported to the U.S., it had a great taste. As soon as it got taken over by a brewery in St. Louis, Missouri, it naturally turned into piss.

It was usually good but not always. Not the fault of the brewer but at times in the 80s i would encounter a batch past their expiration date. I liked becks and especially becks dark. I was actually thinking about german wheat beers and I think Spaten which kicked my ass once.

German beer wasnt the only offender in the pre micro brew days to be like that. I cant the remember the last saint pauli or grolsch i drank. used to love them both

No expiration date involved. They just decided to put a Miller Light-type crap in a Beck's bottle and sell it at a higher price. American beer - just kill me now.

i dont doubt you but i also dont think i have drank any becks in the past 25+ years. regardless, beer does go bad in bottles. That sucks they ran a great beer into the shit zone. like i said, back in the day becks dark was top shelf beer.

i have read that the heinken that they sell here in the states is a far cry from the original.

I appreciate your comments, Beck's was my choice for many years, but beer can't go bad in bottles if the expiration date is right, unless you fill it with sub-par ingredients. You must understand this company's move messed up my life. :boohoo:

all you can do is grin Gin and beer it!

Certainly :P :D

• Like 1

Yeah .. but importantly Spaten is still brewed in Munich. As long as Spaten wants to remain one of the 6 official Oktoberfest beers, it will have to be brewed only in Munich.

Despite it's ownership it will remain it's authenticity.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

Free ones.

which are ice cold.

PBR me ASAP

all you can do is grin Gin and beer it!

Certainly :P :D

Lol

Yeah .. but importantly Spaten is still brewed in Munich. As long as Spaten wants to remain one of the 6 official Oktoberfest beers, it will have to be brewed only in Munich.

the spaten doppel bock, the one with the two shovels on the label buried my ass one octoberfest celebration back in the day. asleep at 6

• Like 2

When, and if I drink beer as an alcoholic beverage, then the brand I've liked, and my favorite is "Dos Equis" lager. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

the spaten doppel bock, the one with the two shovels on the label buried my ass one octoberfest celebration back in the day. asleep at 6

I think i have been there also!!
  • Like 1

When, and if I drink beer as an alcoholic beverage, then the brand I've liked, and my favorite is "Dos Equis" lager.

Ah yes! a fine Mexican brew.
  • Like 1

I bought a couple of Belgian beers for later - St. Feuillien Blond. 7.5% so i will handle with care!!
  • Like 1

When, and if I drink beer as an alcoholic beverage, then the brand I've liked, and my favorite is "Dos Equis" lager.

Not bad, and Dos Equis Amber on draft is very good. But if I'm eating Mexican, my go to is Negra Modelo (yellow label on bottle; not to be confused with Modelo Nigra (black label), which is piss.)
  • Like 1

When I was in Ireland I was surprised by the popularity of Corona. I asked about it and a local commented, "They've bottled and trademarked the Sun." I thought that was spot on.

Coors Light was also very popular, but I couldn't imagine anyone choosing that over a freshly poured Smithwicks.

• Like 1

When I was in Ireland I was surprised by the popularity of Corona. I asked about it and a local commented, "They've bottled and trademarked the Sun." I thought that was spot on.

Coors Light was also very popular, but I couldn't imagine anyone choosing that over a freshly poured Smithwicks.

I remember asking a Norwegian I met in college "What's the most popular beer in Norway?", and he said "Budweiser."

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 1

I remember asking a Norwegian I met in college "What's the most popular beer in Norway?", and he said "Budweiser."

Regular Bud was also prevalent in the Irish bars.
  • Like 2

Not bad, and Dos Equis Amber on draft is very good. But if I'm eating Mexican, my go to is Negra Modelo (yellow label on bottle; not to be confused with Modelo Nigra (black label), which is piss.)

Negra Modelo is a lovely beer!! We can't really get it over here but i always have a few when i am stateside!!
  • Like 2