Any love for Presto???

wadzilla

Hello group!!! It's my first post here and I was just wondering your feelings on Presto??? It was my first album and tour for Rush and I love every song!! But it sure does get some hate!!! Anyway glad to be here!! Thanks!!!
  • Like 2

HELL TO THE YEAH! Presto is great!

You'll find others around here have a different opinion.

What is important is that you enjoy it!

• Like 5

I really love some of the songs on Presto, especially Presto. Although I loved that tour, I remember being disappointed they didn't play it.
  • Like 2

Presto's awesome and doesn't get near enough credit.

GREAT record.

Mick

Exactly a notch just above HEMIspheres.

;)

• Like 2

Welcome to the TRF first off. As far as Presto goes its about a 6/11 as far as I am concerned. Some very good stuff and some stinkaroos. Not as good as the album that preceded it but better than the one that followed... :codger:
  • Like 3

Here's the short version of my usual critique:

Show Don't Tell - love it. No complaints

Chain Lightning - promising start, but completely wimps out in the chorus

The Pass - liked it a lot at first, and the lyrical message is important, but I never dug it as much as the band does

War Paint - another promising start - and then the synths take over. But I like it well enough

Scars - I try to zone in on the great guitar leads throughout - so I can listen to it.

Presto - I don't mind this, but I think it could have been so much more. I remember loving hearing an acoustic guitar so prominently in a Rush song again (notwithstanding that plastic thing Lifeson plays on Mystic Rhythms)

Superconductor - I like the lyrics better than the music in this one. It "rocks" I guess, but it sounds like a Kim Mitchell riff.

Anagram - sort of like Chain lightning. Slapped silly by synths. Fun lyrics though. And I like the piano break/bridge bit.

Red Tide - no complaints

Hand Over Fist - pretty much can't stand it from start to finish, though I grant that Lifeson has a bit o' life in him at times here.

Available Light - I appreciate this song, but I don't like the way Lee delivers some of the lines (especially "play of light, a photograph")

Over all, the album has a thinner sort of sound that doesn't feel right to me.

The cover is pure genius.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :hi:

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

Welcome!!!

Presto is not my cup of tea but there are plenty of people around here who love it.

You'll find plenty of people that love every album. I'm part of the Caress Of Steel contingent.

• Like 3

Love Presto! It was a great tour and the album holds lots of memories for me. The lyrics are strong across the board, Neil's drumming is stripped down but very interesting, as is Alex and Geddy's playing. Production is thin...but not annoyingly crisp like Roll the Bones.
  • Like 3

Hey! Welcome to the rush forum, where all of us weridos rush fans come together to talk about them as much as we can about. Talking about your question, you have seen there are many different opinions! Check out the polls to see what people think. Personally, i love Presto as an album, but i do not enoy that much the song...
  • Like 1

Hey! Welcome to the rush forum, where all of us weridos rush fans come together to talk about them as much as we can about. Talking about your question, you have seen there are many different opinions! Check out the polls to see what people think. Personally, i love Presto as an album, but i do not enoy that much the song...

I'm with you. I really like the album but the title track is easily my least favorite. :huh:
  • Like 1

Presto is a good album with a few great songs (The Pass, Available Light, Show Don't Tell) and some underrated ones (Anagram, Hand over Fist). Scars is a dud though, and I don't like the bass sound for the most part, especially in Chain Lightning.
  • Like 2

Welcome!!!

Presto is not my cup of tea but there are plenty of people around here who love it.

You'll find plenty of people that love every album. I'm part of the Caress Of Steel contingent.

YEP! Just decided I'm wearing my Caress of Steel shirt on Saturday night...wanted to wear the Hemispheres shirt...but it's WAY too big! (lost a LOT of weight since I bought that one...XXXL is a little large on me...not that that's a BAD thing!)

Hello group!!! It's my first post here and I was just wondering your feelings on Presto??? It was my first album and tour for Rush and I love every song!! But it sure does get some hate!!! Anyway glad to be here!! Thanks!!!

By the way...the Unknown Comic...beauty!!!
  • Like 1

Presto is a good album with a few great songs (The Pass, Available Light, Show Don't Tell) and some underrated ones (Anagram, Hand over Fist). Scars is a dud though, and I don't like the bass sound for the most part, especially in Chain Lightning.

:moose: Scars :moose:

"And the flies that cloud her eyes..."

Welcome! Love the Unknown Comic Avi, btw.

Presto was my first Rush album (odd I know)...

It still holds strong value to me. Not an album I listen to often, but it's still in my top 10.

• Like 1

I generally hate Presto with the exceptions of:

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Presto

I don't really know what they were going for on this album (or RTB...and I tend to lump these two train wrecks together). I find it aimless, uninspiring and devoid of anything resembling a proper Rush album. And the sound...the album sounds like ass...Rupert Hine's genius production. f***er. And to think that stinker was (at least partially) recorded at Le Studio.

• Like 1