Any love for Presto???

wadzilla

I love most of Presto. Aside from a few duds (Superconductor & Scars mainly) it is pure awesomeness. It is perfect if you feel like listening to a good rock album that isn't necessarily progressive and doesn't have many synths.

Sometimes I wonder what went so wrong after this album that led them to make Roll the Bones though. :huh:

I think Presto is a very good album let down by very poor production.

Presto songs with Counterparts production would have been amazing.

• Like 1

In and of itself Presto is pretty good to me. The sound is gorgeous and the songs are decent with some embarrassing moments lyrically and musically. Its miles better than RtB but doesn't have the flair and spark that the best Rush music has, but it is a back to basics album of sorts. It just needs a bit more balls. I wish they could have somehow taken the full on overdrive of Vapor Trails out of the remix and added it to Presto.
  • Like 1

I generally hate Presto with the exceptions of:

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Presto

I don't really know what they were going for on this album (or RTB...and I tend to lump these two train wrecks together). I find it aimless, uninspiring and devoid of anything resembling a proper Rush album. And the sound...the album sounds like ass...Rupert Hine's genius production. f***er. And to think that stinker was (at least partially) recorded at Le Studio.

here's what I don't get. If you listen to some of his other productions of the time, the Fixx even Tina Turner it isn't far off and those albums sound great. I agree that the production is emblematic of its time but I disagree that he is entirely to blame here. I wish he could have gotten more rock out of them, but they weren't fully where they would get to with CP in terms of really bringing Alex back to a more ballsy sound but I don't think thats really where he was at the time. Maybe it was a bad match but there is a magic to some of it. Granted they would shit the bed with RtB, and yeah one could get on Hine for that one. He maybe didn't coax the best songs out of them and thats where he does fall short compared to Broon or even Peter Collins. But to completely blame Hine or the production crew is completely missing the point.

But thats just my opinion.

The Pass, Presto, Hand Over Fist and Available Light have all withstood the test of time for me. I can listen to those songs every day.

The production of the album, however, was dreadful. The Band is aware of it, too. It sounds like it was recorded in a metal shed.

Presto is a masterpiece.

The bands second to last truly great album (the last was Vapor Trails).

9/10

• Like 2

I like Presto (especially Presto, Scars and Available Light), but there isn't a Rush album that I don't like. It's not one of my favourites but it is a good album full of well-crafted rock/pop songs written at a time when they were very much changing musical direction. Unlike many around here, I don't have a problem with the production - I like the clarity.
  • Like 1

It's part of the trio; Hold Your Fire, Roll the Bones and Presto, that I find really frustrating. The songs on all three adopted this stop start song construction. It was like don't play that part for too long and you have songs with good parts let down by cringey bits.

It's part of the trio; Hold Your Fire, Roll the Bones and Presto, that I find really frustrating. The songs on all three adopted this stop start song construction. It was like don't play that part for too long and you have songs with good parts let down by cringey bits.

I do not think Hold Your Fire and Presto are similar at all. HYF is its own peculiar work of magic, Presto is pure AOR of the sort Toto did better, and Roll The Bones is just a bland attempt and bettering Presto, with a few good ideas, but lesser quality songs.

• Like 1

"Cringey Bits"...sounds like some sketchy snack food you'd get at the Dollar Store.
  • Like 1

I pretty much love every Rush album except for PW and HYF!!! But maybe one day they will grow on me!!! ;)

I assume you mean Power Windows (PoW) and not Permanment Waves (PeW)?

If you really dig Presto then give PoW and HYF a few more listens they should really grow on you. HYF is a great record, it is not all Tai Shan.

• Like 2

I listened to it at work again today...I wish a couple of songs sounded a bit heavier. But it´s a good album. Alex´s solos on Presto and Available LIght are awesome!!!
  • Like 2

Welcome to the TRF first off. As far as Presto goes its about a 6/11 as far as I am concerned. Some very good stuff and some stinkaroos. Not as good as the album that preceded it but better than the one that followed... :codger:

:goodone: I feel exactly the same way toward this album. The Pass and Chain Lightning are my 2 favorite songs from Presto.

• Like 2

Welcome to the TRF first off. As far as Presto goes its about a 6/11 as far as I am concerned. Some very good stuff and some stinkaroos. Not as good as the album that preceded it but better than the one that followed... :codger:

:goodone: I feel exactly the same way toward this album. The Pass and Chain Lightning are my 2 favorite songs from Presto.

They are good ones and there are 3 or 4 more but that is about it in my view. Really like Red Tide and Available Light. Scars is cool as well. The title song is good and that about covers it... :)

Welcome to the forum !!

( notice how I ignore the Presto question )

What would you rather talk about "Look What the Cat Dragged In" by Poison?

go ahead, I'm all ears

There are four really good looking girls on the cover. But who are those buffoons that are writing and playing the music on it?

• Like 1

I remember thinking how "different" this album sounded from the last several (synth infested) Rush albums, and it took me awhile to appreciate it. I wasn't used to so much acoustic piano on a Rush album. Plus, some of the songs were (-gulp!-) UNDER four and a half minutes!

It soon became one of my favorite albums.

I now look back on it and agree that, production wise, it sounds a bit thin. I still love it though.

Clem

I forgot to remind everyone that my favourite Rush song is on this: Chain Lightning.

Mystery to me as to why I love it so much, but I LOVE it!

• Like 2

Thinking abut it. Presto is a changing point for me. Cause for me at least then you have the awful run of RTB to VT. Rush turned a corner here for me. that i think they never recovered from. though i still think Snakes is good.

Mick