Any love for Presto???

wadzilla

Presto is a great album! I always reach for it when I'm drawing; it sets the perfect mood :LOL: My favourites are The Pass, War Paint, Presto, Available Light, and Show Don't Tell :yes: Hand Over Fist, Chain Lightning and Anagram are good, but I don't care too much for Scars and Red Tide. Superconductor is a pretty groovy tune although lots of people seem to hate it haha

They certainly seem to hate it LC, which probably dates back to the xanaconductor fiasco of 1991. I agree with the songs you like,and dare I say that I would even add red tide to the like list

• Like 2

Welcome to the TRF first off. As far as Presto goes its about a 6/11 as far as I am concerned. Some very good stuff and some stinkaroos. Not as good as the album that preceded it but better than the one that followed... :codger:

:facepalm:

Presto is a great album! I always reach for it when I'm drawing; it sets the perfect mood :LOL: My favourites are The Pass, War Paint, Presto, Available Light, and Show Don't Tell :yes: Hand Over Fist, Chain Lightning and Anagram are good, but I don't care too much for Scars and Red Tide. Superconductor is a pretty groovy tune although lots of people seem to hate it haha

They certainly seem to hate it LC, which probably dates back to the xanaconductor fiasco of 1991. I agree with the songs you like,and dare I say that I would even add red tide to the like list

Xanaconductor fiasco? I'm almost afraid to ask...

Behold the inexplicable segue... @ 1:05

• Like 1

The much-loathed and groaned about medley of Xanadu into Superconductor that was performed on the Roll the Bones tour.

One tour prior, they had been playing Xanadu into YYZ, which was much more palatable.

I love Presto. The Pass and War Paint have a lot of meaning to me personally.
  • Like 2

I forgot to remind everyone that my favourite Rush song is on this: Chain Lightning.

Mystery to me as to why I love it so much, but I LOVE it!

• Like 1

So. I watched the so called 'xana-conductor fiasco'

And, yep, you guessed it, I love it too! They have courage to pull off the unexpected like that & make it seamless (well except for whatever problem Alex seemed to be having with his guitar)

Just don't understand why people hate on superconductor. I love it. Hummed it even from time to time over my long non-Rush years. "A strong & simple beat..."

Course, don't get me wrong, I love the hard stuff too. On my way into the parking garage, every morning at work, I blast anarchist so EVERYONE there can enjoy it too. Nice of me to share eh? : )

• Like 2

I love chain lightning. The haters are wrong!

Well Chain Lightning is a good song. There are about 6 out of 11 on there that are good. Just my opinion...

Presto actually sounds good. I've said it before and I say it again...the production really suits the songs with lots of atmosphere in both music & lyrics.
  • Like 1

Presto is a very important album to me, as it's the very 1st Rush album I ever got. In '89, I was seriously getting into music as an interest (lots of metal and hard rock), and while I'd heard the name of Rush, I didn't know anything about them. After seeing the video for "Show Don't Tell" on MTV a few times, I made sure to pick up a cassette of the album the next chance I could. I still remember that it was on a Friday after school (8th grade), and my mom had taken me to the mall, and I bought it there (can't recall which store, though). I remember playing the tape in the car, and checking the lyrics to see if they cussed at all (a grave concern at that age, believe it or not, in terms of whether my folks would be made at me).

I definitely recall liking Side 2 in general better than side 1, with the exception of course of Show Don't Tell. And while I wasn't a big fan of "Anagram," years later I really came to appreciate it after reading the lyrics and being impressed as always by Neil's ability to turn a phrase.

I also recall seeing the video for The Pass when it aired on MTV a few times, and being surprised they edited out "Christ" from the "Christ, what have you done" lyric.

Within a year or so I discovered 2112 and ESL, and it just went from there, but for me, it all started with Presto, and for that reason alone it will always remain closer to the heart (pun intended?) than something like Moving Pictures.

Was so hoping they'd bust out Show Don't tell again for R40.

Edited by zappafrank
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt6cgspdN4

Holy crap! Talk about an awkward transition.

I didn't know about Xanaconductor until you brought it up. Not sure I feel about that sudden segue, seeing as I always need a minute to recollect myself after listening to Xanadu :wacko:

Red Tide actually gets stuck in my head a lot! Haha

I didn't know about Xanaconductor until you brought it up. Not sure I feel about that sudden segue, seeing as I always need a minute to recollect myself after listening to Xanadu :wacko:

Right before R40 began, it was discussed so much on TRF it's actually a suggested word on my phone when I type Xanadu.

There was a strong pre tour rumor on TRF from a guy who knows a guy, that Prelude was going to morph into Far Cry on R40 due to the same chords on each. So the fun yet scary comparisons to Xanaconductor were aplenty.

• Like 1

"Christ, what have you done?" is especially appropriate here.

• Like 1

Right before R40 began, it was discussed so much on TRF it's actually a suggested word on my phone when I type Xanadu.

There was a strong pre tour rumor on TRF from a guy who knows a guy, that Prelude was going to morph into Far Cry on R40 due to the same chords on each. So the fun yet scary comparisons to Xanaconductor were aplenty.

Too bad I missed all of that :LOL:

Too bad I missed all of that :LOL:

Oh the fun we had discussing and debating the potential setlist. I think someone knew an accountant that had a client in the same warehouse complex where Rush was rehearsing in SoCal back in April. Oh the memories, some memories last forever. Well, he got Prelude correct. That Prelude/Far Cry thread got a ton of mileage.

And then after months of discussing the potential setlist, someone leaked it. Who had the audacity to do that?? Rush of course, as they mailed out the tourbook to VIP ticket holders received it four days before Tulsa. In it, Rush named well over half the setlist. Go figure. Good memories.

Anyway, Chain Lightning is awesome!

• Like 1

"Christ, what have you done?" is especially appropriate here.

Turn around and turn around and turn around...as you bask in the glory that is Superconductor!