Deep Purple's best album is...

ReRushed

Another vote for Burn, though they pleasantly surprised me with Now What after years of nothing that memorable.

Can't ignore Old Glory aka Machine Head, though. Highway Star still gets the adrenaline going.

Edited by BowlCity

Burn is in my top five. But I don't get all the Coverdale love. I guess he's technically a better singer with a stronger voice, but I find the Gillan material much more enjoyable. Come on, space truckin'... yeah, yeah, yeeaaahh.
  • Like 2

I don't mind the Coverdale years, but Gillan's voice still has miles more character and interest for me. Maybe it's because I was exposed to him as a toddler while my sisters listened to Jesus Chris Superstar again and again (though, seriously, what a performance he gives on "Gesthemane (I Only Want To Say)" ;) ). Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 2

Burn is in my top five. But I don't get all the Coverdale love. I guess he's technically a better singer with a stronger voice, but I find the Gillan material much more enjoyable. Come on, space truckin'... yeah, yeah, yeeaaahh.

vocals on speed king alone are cooler than anything coverdale ever did. but I do think burn kicks ass

Knocking At Your Backdoor & Perfect Strangers are the only two songs I really like on Perfect Strangers.

Those are the two best ones, but I like most of the others too. Hungry Daze is a strong track.

Burn, although I love Come Taste the Band. I'm sorry, but I prefer Coverdale to Gillan by a lot. I like the Mk II albums plenty, but Coverdale when he's on is just better. And he was on Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band.

I prefer Gillan, but Coverdale was great on those albums, and so was Hughes for that matter.

vocals on speed king alone are cooler than anything coverdale ever did.

Not to mention Child in Time.

Come taste the band

Great, underrated record.

It's either In Rock or Machine Head. I'd probably go In Rock just for Child in Time.

...despite my avatar :P (yes I love Burn too)

Edited by driven_to_xanadu
  • Like 1

Have to give my vote to Fireball.

Deep Purple albums are consistently great throughout most of their career.

And Ritchie Blackmore is (was) the best rock guitarist since Hendrix.

I'm currently immersed in Deep Purple. They are so good, it's ridiculous. For the life of me, I don't understand why they aren't recognized as one of the GREAT bands of all-time. It must be an American thing, I guess. Edited by ReRushed

Knocking At Your Backdoor & Perfect Strangers are the only two songs I really like on Perfect Strangers.

Those are the two best ones, but I like most of the others too. Hungry Daze is a strong track.

"Wasted Sunsets" is a decent power ballad, as far as power ballads go. And I enjoy "A Gypsy's Kiss".

The worst thing about Perfect Strangers is that it gets bogged down with '80s production.

Edited by ReRushed

One lasting impact of the Coverdale/Hughes era is that even when I listen to MK II versions "Smoke on The Water" I find myself singing the Glenn Hughes' harmony parts.

The 'air Hammond' solo (well, not only 'air' because a solid surface - a table for example - replacing the keyboard amplifies the thing) in "Burn" remains my top moment of solace regarding Deep Purple MKIII

Loooooove "Made in Japan" with "Woman from Tokyo" from that recording an all time favorite! For studio albums gotta go with Burn. :heart: :heart: :heart: Geddy, Alex and Neil, and members of other bands, when they talk about what a crime it is that Deep Purple is not yet in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Errrr, there's no "Woman From Tokyo" in 'Made In Japan'....... It's been released for the first time the following year in 'Who Do We Think We Are'

• Like 1

You sort of answered your own question. While he is technically better, with a stronger voice, for me that matters little, as an avowed fan of Ozzy, Diamond Dave, and Mick Jagger. As you do with Gillan, I just prefer the Coverdale material.

Errrr, there's no "Woman From Tokyo" in 'Made In Japan'....... It's been released for the first time the following year in 'Who Do We Think We Are'

Yeah, thanks for the reminder, my mistake! I am of the age when I had them on 8 tracks in my car! :) Sometimes it kind of runs together. . . sign of a misspent youth ;)

I'm currently immersed in Deep Purple. They are so good, it's ridiculous. For the life of me, I don't understand why they aren't recognized as one of the GREAT bands of all-time. It must be an American thing, I guess.

it's amazing, right? I mean, so many "hip" musicians like sonic youth and dinosaur jr have named purple as an influence, you'd think by now they'd have some cred. but they're still seen as a boring dad rock band. oh well, at least we all know the truth.