American Ninja Warrior starts tonight!

blueschica

American Ninja Warrior starts tonight! It's a guilty pleasure of my family's during the summer. They dropped strange spokesperson Jen and got someone new. Anyone else watch or have any favorite competitors? I like Joe Moravski, the weatherman from back east, but can't stand his cousin, Rob, that competed last year and they tried to turn into some kind of matinee idol :)
  • Like 3

It's fun ( and kind of a time waster Mon. nights) as they progress through different cities during the summer. The course changes a bit from city to city, and then they have finals and finally one big final on a course in Las Vegas. It's based on a Japanese show that has been running forever, but has only had 3 Japanese Ninja Warriors. The final obstacle (Stage 4) on both courses is always a timed climb up this big "Mt. Midoryama" structure, but no one on the "American " show has ever made it that far. Not that I watch it that much or anything! Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

We absolutely LOVE this show in our house. I have a young daughter, so I think it is a real positive to have people like #mightycasey as stars. I also have a young son, and I think its good that HE sees #mightycasey competing with, and in many cases beating, the guys.

I don't like the Wolf Pack clowns though. Or Casey's boyfriend Brent Steffensen. I think the Wolverine lookalike is going to be a beast (no pun intended).

• Like 2

I'm beside myself that Kacy didn't make it.

I also love that they've had the boy on the autism spectrum and the girl with Tourette's Syndrome competing.

There's nothing that says she can't compete in other cities, is there? Plus, they always have a few "at large" bids at the end - I can almost guarantee that she'll get one.

Stupid hockey delayed Stratis a week :LOL:

How does this show work? Top 30 from each city advance, then what happens?

Top 30 finishers, but if more than 30 complete the course, they all advance in the city qualifiers. Once all the cities are done, they have usually added a few at large bids - not sure if to get to a round number or something... then a few more qualifiers before getting to the multi-stage final course.

This might have a little more info...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Ninja_Warrior

I also love that they've had the boy on the autism spectrum and the girl with Tourette's Syndrome competing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/american-ninja-warrior-kacy-catanzaro-800873

For now, Catanzaro will have to wait and see if she'll be invited back to participate in the Las Vegas finals as a wild card, which has yet to be determined for the season. "There's still one more region to film and I'm really hoping I make it," she says. "I'm not saying I deserve it any more than any others. Everyone who tries is amazing and deserves that spot. I do feel like I did prove myself last year and I know they always bring women to Vegas so I'm hoping they agree I deserve another shot."
  • Like 1

There's nothing that says she can't compete in other cities, is there? Plus, they always have a few "at large" bids at the end - I can almost guarantee that she'll get one.

I don't know how it works with going to other cities. We were talking about her getting an at large bid, but I don't know if she went far enough to be honest. She's definitely the biggest star, but I'd actually hate to see them take the meritocracy element away.

• Like 2

I don't know how it works with going to other cities. We were talking about her getting an at large bid, but I don't know if she went far enough to be honest. She's definitely the biggest star, but I'd actually hate to see them take the meritocracy element away.

I'm pretty sure they can only compete in one city to get to "The Finals" in Las Vegas. In the couple of seasons I have watched, no one has been able to jump cities. Having said that, last year they instituted a "wild card" thing where some people (notably, Meagan Martin, who didn't place high enough in her city's final) got a wild card bid to go to Vegas anyway, (and she was great!) Husband and I are betting Kacy Catanzaro gets one of those this year since she is such a crowd and NBC favorite. I'm with you, Rick, on those Wolf Pack guys, they are annoying as anything.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Mt. Midoriyama.

Mt. Mt. Midori. That's literally what that means.

Mt. Mountain Midori. Yama means Mountain in Japanese.

That is some double talk, for sure! Interesting to find that out. Is Sasuke still on in Japan? My family always liked to watch the reruns here and enjoyed seeing when Nagano, the fishing boat worker, won the whole thing! That was awhile ago now.

Casey is on this coming Monday and my favorite is the following week... Ryan Stratis

I guess I read the article wrong... he said he would be in Orlando to support friends. Apparently his city airs in a couple weeks
  • Like 1

Couldn't watch Rush at MSG tonight on Periscope due to no computer (long story I'm on a Kindle and hate it) but tonight's ANW from Pittsburgh was awesome! A different obstacle than ever before and some inspirational runs made it a really good episode! For anyone interested, the Esquire channel is rerunning epis Tuesday night, Wed night and Sat afternoon!
  • Like 1

Sam Sann!

He's my age. F-ing stud!

Is the Weatherman on tonight? My kids get all wound up when I tell them that he won last season, because he didn't finish the course.

I really don't like Brent.

Was there a funnier moment than "the Chuckster?"

Yeah, the big deal they make about Brent gets kind of old. I think the Weatherman and Michelle Warnky, who I like a lot for some reason, are on tonight! :clap:

My parents still live in Pittsburgh, which I think is tonight's city. My husband was disappointed- he was like, "Why didn't we pay attention and go to the filming??"

Sam Sann!

He's my age. F-ing stud!

Is the Weatherman on tonight? My kids get all wound up when I tell them that he won last season, because he didn't finish the course.

I really don't like Brent.

Was there a funnier moment than "the Chuckster?"

I've seen them all this season - which is the Chuckster moment? Is that the old dude they did a big profile on and stumbled on the first step?

• Like 1