Do the concert videos prove Rush is finally mainstream "cool"?

A co-worker today asked me if I thought Rush was finally seen as (mainstream) "cool".

Dave Grohl, of course, made the announcement that perhaps Rush was indeed, at long last, "cool" at the RRHOF induction a while back. Getting a nod from the Foo Fighters, and by extension Grohl's work in Nirvana, gives them, I think, some credibility in determining mainstream "cool". And, yeah, there had been some signs that some previously designated as "cool" people had already put their seal of approval on our favorite band. After all, the Rush backdrop in "I Love You, Man", the fanboy love from the likes of Billy Corgan, Danny Carey, Jack Black, Kirk Hammett, Trent Reznor, etc in "Beyond the Lighted Stage", and the appearance with Stephen Colbert all suggested the prog power had finally come to the mainstream (or perhaps had always secretly been there, but it was now okay to admit?).

But when he asked that question, the first thing that came to mind were the R40 concert videos.

They brought back the Jerry Stiller (he of Seinfeld fame) and the South Park kids (of their own fame) in other videos, but the RTB rap also included the throwback reference to "I Love You, Man" and it is hard to argue that Jason Segel (a movie star in his own right, but mainstream "cool" because of "How I Met Your Mother"), Tom Morello (mainstream via Rage even if that isn't what he wants to be seen as), Peter Dinklage ("Game of Thrones" is currently mainstream cool, but for my money his bit role in "Elf" is classic), and the cast of "Trailer Park Boys", among others do not suggest the band is beloved by a solidly popular group in the mainstream.

So.... after 40 years... is Rush indeed truly "cool"? Or are others jumping on a weird bandwagon?

And, perhaps more importantly, is it even a good thing the band may now be "cool"? Is it a good thing they are finally getting some respect, or was the lack of respect key to their edge?

These are the pathetic questions that might keep me up at night...

Being cool might help the band attract a drummer who likes to tour.

All kidding aside cool or not it is good they are finally getting their "due".

I'm not sure because Rush has always been big in my area. So, my perception since i've been a fan is that they were always cool and mainstream. Our local radio station used to play the shit out of everything from them up through Counterparts. I always thought they were popular because of that too.
  • Like 2

I'm not sure because Rush has always been big in my area. So, my perception since i've been a fan is that they were always cool and mainstream. Our local radio station used to play the shit out of everything from them up through Counterparts. I always thought they were popular because of that too.

In my blue collar high school, Rush, Zep, and Pink Floyd were the most popular bands. At my yuppie college, not so much.

I can't ever remember caring though.

I only knew about 20% of the people in their video (Grohl, Morello, and maybe a couple of others). I'm not going to rent "I Love You, Man" because Rush plays a role in it and I'm not going to watch Trailer Park Boys for the same reason.

Edited by laughedatbytime

I couldn't care less if Rush is mainstream "cool". They've had a little more exposure over the last decade or so, but I don't really think masses of new fans are jumping on the Rush train at this stage. :huh:

No. More people are aware of them now than in years past but that doesn't make them cool. At least not in the common perception of what that means by the general public.
  • Like 1

The documentary helped alot I was just listening to a paranormal podcast and the 2 host were talking and one goes

You know I wasnt a big Rush fan but I just saw the documentary and learned alot about the band and songs i didnt know

Of course they both start talking and get a lot of info wrong but thats the 2nd time in 2 weeks someone out of the blue

talked about Rush

In my blue collar high school, Rush, Zep, and Pink Floyd were the most popular bands. At my yuppie college, not so much.

I only knew about 20% of the people in their video (Grohl, Morello, and maybe a couple of others). I'm not going to rent "I Love You, Man" because Rush plays a role in it and I'm not going to watch Trailer Park Boys for the same reason.

No you are going to watch Trailer Park Boys because its funny as f**k.

• Like 1

I'm not going to rent "I Love You, Man" because Rush plays a role in it.......

I tried to watch it, but it was so stupid and unfunny that I changed the channel and never went back.

• Like 1

Interesting perspectives.....

My general thought is Rush is finally getting a begrudging nod of "okay, you deserve some respect" from the many who derided them for so long, and the closet fans feel safe to admit they are fans.

The diehards like us were always there and clearly always there in force. What is the latest estimate on global album sales? Something like 40M?

Indeed it is.

Not sure that the people in the videos necessarily qualify as "mainstream" cool themselves and I'm still glad they are considered a cult band for the most part.
  • Like 1

Agreed.

Rush was never more cool than moving pictures exit stage left and signals time period.

They have been mainstream ever since. Imo.

I think there may be some validity to this notion. They still get a lot of radio play from the "golden" era (PW, MP, Signals) and often some play from prior efforts and later albums. There is definitely a degree of mainstream there. Perhaps the better question is are they finally accepted by the musical establishment?

Not sure that the people in the videos necessarily qualify as "mainstream" cool themselves and I'm still glad they are considered a cult band for the most part.

I guess I am qualifying the video personalities based upon the fact they are associated with things that are, for the most part, very popular and recognized as part of pop culture. I think that would be a decent definition of "mainstream". "Cool", though, is relative.

I'd say so, but Rush has always been well-loved here in the NYC/Philly megapolis, so I guess I wouldn't know for sure.