So, Just how bad is smoking dope for your memory?? (Spoiler)

clem

So I'm currently watching the Tulsa show on YouTube (kudos to whoever posted and recorded), and I'm listening/watching "Jacob's Ladder". Geddy introduces it as a "song they've never played before".

Now, how is it possible that he can't remember playing this thing? Yes, I realize it's 35 years old, but they played it for the whole frigging tour. Then, it was featured on the very next live album. Yet he doesn't remember?? I seem to remember Neil stating something similar at the beginning of The Time Machine Tour when he said they'd never played "The Camera Eye".

How can you not remember this sort of stuff?

What gives??

I had a friend mention that it's probably because they've smoked an awful lotta dope in their time, and it sort of affects one's memory.

Not to sound like a prude, but I've never ever taken "a passage to Bangkok", and I'm really not sure I ever want to. Even though the plant is legal in many places, I'm not sure I want to imbibe if I'm gonna lose huge chunks of memories.

Thoughts?

Clem

• Like 1

Think the dope smoking angle is over blown. More likely, when you've played that many shows it's bad for your memory. They all blur together.

In Austin, he said something along the lines of " We haven't played this in thirty five years, although you couldn't prove it by me that we've ever played it." So someone must've told him that he had played it before after the Tulsa show.

• Like 5

It has been my experience from what I have observed in those who smoked pot for decades on a regular basis that it does affect the memory. So does excessive alcohol use.

As for Geddy and Neil not remembering, I am certain that you would have a hard time remembering too if you toured extensively and almost nonstop for decades. I mean, it must all seem like a blur in their minds. I wouldn't hold it against him for not remembering he did Jacob's Ladder over thirty years ago.

• Like 4

How bad is dope for the memory?

Can't remember.

Damn. Beat me to it... :cheers:
  • Like 2

Keep in mind that Rush has done more than 20 full tours, and thousands of shows. Jacob's Ladder was played, what, 35 years ago? I certainly don't remember a lot from 35 years ago.
  • Like 1

Why do we think dope is the cause?

It sounded like a troll post to me which is why I didn't initially respond. I don't think anyone believes drug use caused memory loss here except maybe the OP'er.

• Like 2

It sounded like a troll post to me which is why I didn't initially respond. I don't think anyone believes drug use caused memory loss here except maybe the OP'er.

I honestly DON'T KNOW. I'm curious. This is what I've heard from some individuals. As I've said, I've never done the stuff.

I guess I have a hard time understanding how they couldn't remember. Yes, I get that they've done thousands of shows, but if I can remember the setlist from 35 years ago after seeing the concert ONCE, I would think they would be able to remember since they probably played about 100 shows on that tour.

I'm really not trying to be ugly nor crass, it just baffles me. Truly am sorry if I offended anyone.

Clem

Truthfully, I don't think that would be the main cause for him not remembering... I was a pretty heavy smoker from about 1977-78 through 1989-ish, and for some reason, I have a pretty good memory for things that happened in those "daze"... In fact some of my friends can't believe some of the detail I remember things in from that period of time... (Now ask me what I just walked in to the other room to get, and I have NO clue!!)

I'm going to agree with the post above and say with X-amount of years, playing X-amount of shows you're bound to forget a LOT of it!

• Like 1

I honestly DON'T KNOW. I'm curious. This is what I've heard from some individuals. As I've said, I've never done the stuff.

I guess I have a hard time understanding how they couldn't remember. Yes, I get that they've done thousands of shows, but if I can remember the setlist from 35 years ago after seeing the concert ONCE, I would think they would be able to remember since they probably played about 100 shows on that tour.

I'm really not trying to be ugly nor crass, it just baffles me. Truly am sorry if I offended anyone.

Clem

You can remember the show thirty five years ago, but it's because you only have one (or maybe three or four) shows by Rush to remember from thirty five years ago. And it was an out of the ordinary experience for you. They have hundreds of shows to remember from thirty five years ago, and most of them were routine and relatively un-memorable for them. An analogy would be: what were you doing at work on Jun 17th 1988? Unless something really exceptional happened that day, I know I wouldn't really remember.

• Like 5

Clem

I think it's just age and a ton of shows under their belts. I'm sure they don't keep track of every minute detail like we do.

• Like 4

Clem

I think it's just age and a ton of shows under their belts. I'm sure they don't keep track of every minute detail like we do.

I agree, and they seem to me to be very much men of the moment. Once something is over and done with, they move on and rarely look back except when asked to do so.

• Like 1

I had tons of great things to say on this subject regarding the benefits of smoking weed, but I forgot what they were. Wait what were we talking about? Has any one seen me car keys I want to get something to snack on
  • Like 1

Clem

You can remember the show thirty five years ago, but it's because you only have one (or maybe three or four) shows by Rush to remember from thirty five years ago. And it was an out of the ordinary experience for you. They have hundreds of shows to remember from thirty five years ago, and most of them were routine and relatively un-memorable for them. An analogy would be: what were you doing at work on Jun 17th 1988? Unless something really exceptional happened that day, I know I wouldn't really remember.

But I WOULD remember it if I also did it 99 other times that year as well. Over and over and over again.

In June of 1988, I was in college. I worked for Sears in the sporting goods department. No, I don't remember every customer I interacted with, but I remember that I sold treadmills, exercise bikes, rowing machines, bicycles, and weight lifting equipment.

I dunno. Maybe my memory is better than most. Not that it really matters that much. Like just about everyone else, I'm happy as hell that they played it.

In all seriousness, thanks everyone for your input.

Clem

I think the OP is reading too much into this. Geddy more than likely made a simple mistake when he said they've never played it. I don't think smoking weed is the reason he didn't remember. They've toured many times since the song was last done. He probably just forgot.

How old are you Clem?

I asked because it might be easy for you now to recall everything, but these men are over sixty. Immediate recollection of past events begins to get harder as time goes on. Even Geddy has had to use a teleprompter for lyrics for a while now.

• Like 1

I never got into maryjane, but I am encountering more memory problems as time goes on.. :LOL: Whether it impacts memory or not, I'm not sure.

It is good for medical use according to a late friend who used it to ease her cancer pain. Roger Daltrey smelled it at a recent concert and said he'd leave the stage if it didn't stop because it was bothering his throat...

Geddy probably just forgot.

Ged apologized and joked about it the next few nights. JL was played 35 years ago, on one tour, and they have played thousands (?) of shows since. Memories are strongest when we are under 40, let alone over 60. He can still thunder out all them notes nite after nite at his age, he deserves a standing ovation.
  • Like 2