So, Just how bad is smoking dope for your memory?? (Spoiler)

clem

Think the dope smoking angle is over blown. More likely, when you've played that many shows it's bad for your memory. They all blur together.

In Austin, he said something along the lines of " We haven't played this in thirty five years, although you couldn't prove it by me that we've ever played it." So someone must've told him that he had played it before after the Tulsa show.

In either Austin or Dallas he said something about his wrongly thinking the band had never played it before, but then he found they had and then jokingly something to the effect of "but that's another story".

I chuckled wondering if he was talking about the impact of pot or old age or both.

I'm pretty sure I did some extensive research on this subject throughout the 80's an 90's and into the 00's. I don't recall any conclusive results though.

Yeah, my extensive 80's research was very inconclusive....

As a former abuser (up to an ounce a day), I can tell you that I often forgot to give a damn.

That is, I didn't give a damn about anything......except getting high.

An ounce a day? Don't you mean a lid? :facepalm:

No, I mean an OUNCE. A full baggie, four fingers full. About 30 joints worth. That's how my fellow potheads and I bought and smoked pot, in late 70's Kentucky.

Yeah, we reached a level of smoking that much in a day. We would each get our own bags and smoke away. Luckily for me, I woke up and stopped doing so much, and eventually quit altogether. I don't miss it one bit.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Why do we think dope is the cause?

It sounded like a troll post to me which is why I didn't initially respond. I don't think anyone believes drug use caused memory loss here except maybe the OP'er.

Your post is the troll post. Just because you don't "get" it or more likely don't want it to be true, doesn't mean there isn't a reasonable question to be asked about marijuana use and memory loss.

I doubt Clem is deliberately trying to upset anyone not could he probably imagine it would.

Me, I'm getting rather sick of the disingenuity displayed by some posters here with regard to the band. Some of you really need to grow up and stop thinking "troll" every time you read something that makes you anxious. Rush are big boys and have freely admitted doing "grown up" stuff. Get over it and stop behaving like you feel the band is spiritually and morally incorruptible.

Posts like yours is why TRF has a reputation for "over-sensitivity" amongst the online Rush community.

Edited by Tony R

As a former abuser (up to an ounce a day), I can tell you that I often forgot to give a damn.

Yeah. A z a day while an admirable idea is nonsense. Unless you have lots and lots of freeloading friends...

It was generally a lot milder back in the 70s, weak compared to the stuff the kiddies consume in my local area.

It sounded like a troll post to me which is why I didn't initially respond. I don't think anyone believes drug use caused memory loss here except maybe the OP'er.

Your post is the troll post. Just because you don't "get" it or more likely don't want it to be true, doesn't mean there isn't a reasonable question to be asked about marijuana use and memory loss.

I doubt Clem is deliberately trying to upset anyone not could he probably imagine it would.

Me, I'm getting rather sick of the disingenuity displayed by some posters here with regard to the band. Some of you really need to grow up and stop thinking "troll" every time you read something that makes you anxious. Rush are big boys and have freely admitted doing "grown up" stuff. Get over it and stop behaving like you feel the band is spiritually and morally incorruptible.

Posts like yours is why TRF has a reputation for "over-sensitivity" amongst the online Rush community.

Thanks for the support. I'm glad this thread sort of evolved into a much more humorous discussion. Since I originally posted this, two other things have since come to mind:

1) I distinctly remember Geddy introducing a song from the 80s on one of the live DVDs, and he made some quirk about "some of you may not remember the eighties for **other** reasons". Again, I assumed that he meant that some people "couldn't remember the 80s" because their brains were baked from doing too many chemicals.

2) I also remember a Cheech & Chong album (The Big Bamboo - but don't remember the track). Where Chong is making a speech about people saying that marijuana makes you lose your memory. In the spirit of comedy, of course, he then "lost his place and forgot what he was going to say".

So all of this led to my original question in the thread.

Peace and love,

Clem

Oh please. You obviously misread my post just so you could display more anger at your "perceived notions" of what you think some Rush fans are like. I couldn't care less whether the guys have experimented with drugs. I would certainly have expected them to.

Quit jumping to conclusions about what you think people mean and just ask if you don't understand.

No, I mean an OUNCE. A full baggie, four fingers full. About 30 joints worth. That's how my fellow potheads and I bought and smoked pot, in late 70's Kentucky.

Yeah, we reached a level of smoking that much in a day. We would each get our own bags and smoke away. Luckily for me, I woke up and stopped doing so much, and eventually quit altogether. I don't miss it one bit.

PM is right. That is how it was sold back then. By the ounce. I know because most of the men I hung with were big smokers and they drove me bonkers. Once went up to a Pennsylvania ski place for the weekend with them and all they wanted to do was sit in the chalet, listen to The Allman Bros, and smoke pot.

Oh please. You obviously misread my post just so you could display more anger at your "perceived notions" of what you think some Rush fans are like. I couldn't care less whether the guys have experimented with drugs. I would certainly have expected them to.

Quit jumping to conclusions about what you think people mean and just ask if you don't understand.

You thought he was trolling. That tells me everything.

Nothing to add.

Nothing to add.

I dunno the OP's post sounded like "trolling for stoners" to me!

• Like 1

Nothing to add.

It tells you something other than what I intended.

It was the wording of what he said, nothing to do with believing they did or didn't do drugs.

Nothing to add.

I dunno the OP's post sounded like "trolling for stoners" to me!

:LOL: Very true.

• Like 1