Your favourite year of music?

Okay, you're given a time machine and can go back in time to experience first-hand one year of music as it happened. What year would it be for you? Why? Is it one you already experienced or one you weren't around or grown up for?

There are so many great years--1969, 1977, 1980, to name a few--but I think I would pick 1973. Not only are the classic rock bands at their height, and prog is at its apex, but there's also British glam rock happening (would love to be in the audience as Bowie retired Ziggy, or to see Slade in their prime). And the year rounds out with The Who releasing Quadrophenia, so what's not to love? :)

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 5

Being a fan of prog this is easy.1973.Just take a look at these albums released in that year:

Pink Floyd-The Dark Side of the Moon.

Yes-Tales From Topographic Oceans.

ELP-Brain Salad Surgery.

Genesis-Selling England by the Pound.

Camel-Camel.

Jethro Tull-A Passion Play.

Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells.

King Crimson-Larks Tongues in Aspic.

Gentle Giant-In A Glass House.

Yes-Yessongs.

So 1973 for me!

• Like 5

2006- Just for Lacuna Coil (I was there but I wanna relive it again).
  • Like 1

Jane, that's a good question, but one I have no answer for. I was there for everything as it happened, and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. More and more I am realizing how fortunate I am to have been born in '54 even if I am now losing it and consigned to the TRF Geriatric Ward. But we get plenty of cupcakes, so what's to complain about? :0
  • Like 2

Being a fan of prog this is easy.1973.Just take a look at these albums released in that year:

ELP-Brain Salad Surgery.

Camel-Camel.

Yes-Yessongs.

So 1973 for me!

I was born in '73 so I think I was born 20 years late. To see all these acts live would have been pretty amazing. Also Zappa and the Dead were both at their creative peaks during this period. That being said what if I had been born in '53 and not heard any of this music? That would have been a travesty.

• Like 2

So far, I like every post in this thread, and for many of the same reasons.

It is a great question, but I can't answer it, either.

I should have been born in 1953 rather than '73, my mother always said.

Going to have to think on this one.

(Copping out, thy name is blue j) :P

• Like 1

ELP-Brain Salad Surgery.

Camel-Camel.

Yes-Yessongs.

So 1973 for me!

I was born in '73 so I think I was born 20 years late. To see all these acts live would have been pretty amazing. Also Zappa and the Dead were both at their creative peaks during this period. That being said what if I had been born in '53 and not heard any of this music? That would have been a travesty.

Haha...I was typing at the same time you were...

ELP-Brain Salad Surgery.

Camel-Camel.

Yes-Yessongs.

So 1973 for me!

Haha...I was typing at the same time you were...

Nice to meet a fellow 42 year old. :)

• Like 1

Jane, that's a good question, but one I have no answer for. I was there for everything as it happened, and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. More and more I am realizing how fortunate I am to have been born in '54 even if I am now losing it and consigned to the TRF Geriatric Ward. But we get plenty of cupcakes, so what's to complain about? :0

I can totally understand that. And you are that age range of my older sisters who got me into so much of that music, I always appreciate hearing of your experiences and the music you love! :)

• Like 1

So far, I like every post in this thread, and for many of the same reasons.

It is a great question, but I can't answer it, either.

I should have been born in 1953 rather than '73, my mother always said.

Going to have to think on this one.

(Copping out, thy name is blue j) :P

Think of it as a vacation to another year that you can come back from. :D

For me 1977 hands down and no competition. Three of my favorite studio albums all-time were released that year.

Rush A Farewell To Kings

Yes Going For The One

AC/DC Let There Be Rock

Also Rumours and Aja were released that year. Good grief what a year... :codger:

The link below has somebodies opinion of the top 50 released that year. Just take a look. Wow!!!

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/oldno1/top_50_albums_of_1977/

• Like 5

For me 1977 hands down and no competition. Three of my favorite studio albums all-time were released that year.

Rush A Farewell To Kings

Yes Going For The One

AC/DC Let There Be Rock

Also Rumours and Aja were released that year. Good grief what a year... :codger:

The link below has somebodies opinion of the top 50 released that year. Just take a look. Wow!!!

http://rateyourmusic...albums_of_1977/

I am glad you replied to this! I thought you would say 1977! :)

• Like 1

Rush A Farewell To Kings

Yes Going For The One

AC/DC Let There Be Rock

I am glad you replied to this! I thought you would say 1977! :)

It was my second year buying and listening to music and man did I have some great stuff to listen too. Sin After Sin came out that year too. Geez what a time. Even the popular music of the day was awesome to be honest...
  • Like 1

Rush A Farewell To Kings

Yes Going For The One

AC/DC Let There Be Rock

A few weeks back, I was thinking about starting a new thread about 1977, specifically. It's pretty mind-blowing how many classics came out during that year.

• Like 3

Rush A Farewell To Kings

Yes Going For The One

AC/DC Let There Be Rock

A few weeks back, I was thinking about starting a new thread about 1977, specifically. It's pretty mind-blowing how many classics came out during that year.

Queen's New of The World, too!

• Like 1

Rush A Farewell To Kings

Yes Going For The One

AC/DC Let There Be Rock

Indeed. It was a great time to be 17 and lonely I can tell you that. If some women would have payed me some attention I may not be here today... :codger:
  • Like 2

Hey also love it or not Saturday Night Fever came out that year too. Can't argue with its impact... :chickendance:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Disco_ball4.jpg/250px-Disco_ball4.jpg

Of the years I've lived, 1994:

Vitalogy

Wildflowers

Far Beyond Drive - Best Pantera IMO.

Sleeps With Angels

Superunknown

Weezer

Pisces Iscariot

Purple

Downward Spiral

Division Bell

Jar of Lies

Vauxhall and I

Live Through This

Dookie

Smash

Throwing Copper

Southernplayalisticadillacmusik

Ill Communication

Definitely Maybe

Monster

Under the Table and Dreaming

My birth year of 1980 kicked ass as well.

• Like 2

I'd love to go back to 1966. I was 9 at the time and we moved cross country from Alberta to Ontario in August so the music was a big companion to introverted me as I left behind friends.

The Beatles were still pre Sgt. Pepper in 1966 (I've concluded that I liked them better back then before Pepper).

Some of the songs from summer of 1966 that I'll never forget are: Sunshine Superman (Donavon), Cherish (Association), Dangling Conversation (Simon and Garfunkel), Sunny Afternoon (Kinks), Summer in the City (Spoonful), I saw her again (Mamas and Papas), You can't hurry love (Supremes), etc. Great Motown at that time too.

It was still somewhat a time of innocence before the drugs, hippies culture and the heavy music exploded onto the scene.

• Like 4

I'd love to go back to 1966. I was 9 at the time and we moved cross country from Alberta to Ontario in August so the music was a big companion to introverted me as I left behind friends.

The Beatles were still pre Sgt. Pepper in 1966 (I've concluded that I liked them better back then before Pepper).

Some of the songs from summer of 1966 that I'll never forget are: Sunshine Superman (Donavon), Cherish (Association), Dangling Conversation (Simon and Garfunkel), Sunny Afternoon (Kinks), Summer in the City (Spoonful), I saw her again (Mamas and Papas), You can't hurry love (Supremes), etc. Great Motown at that time too.

It was still somewhat a time of innocence before the drugs, hippies culture and the heavy music exploded onto the scene.

Your post almost made me cry. How well I remember all of those hits.

Do you remember the song by We Five You Were On My Mind? For some reason, about an hour ago, it went through my mind and I started singing it. Isn't it amazing how our brain stores the lyrics to all these songs? You think you don't remember them, but once the song starts playing, they all come back as if you just sang the song yesterday.

I agree with you about the end of the somewhat innocent time. At the end of '65, everything exploded and turned upside down. We never recovered yet from it.

• Like 1