Mr. Not

The Beatles - 1981

Led Zeppelin - 1981

Rush - 1982

David Bowie - 1983

Yes - 1984

Damn I feel old.

You want to feel young? I could post my list. :codger:

I'm reading the lists posted and I'm thinking to myself: You've got to be kidding. :laughing guy:

DO IT

I will just take Jane's list and put the year I began listening to the bands she listed:

David Bowie and Yes - off the top of my head I can't remember when I first heard them on the radio - either 1971 or early 1972 not sure which.

Zeppelin in '69 and Rush in '75, damn you have some good ears for new music!

Well, Led Zep had their debut in the Spring of '69, and some Rush songs were playing on the radio in the mid-seventies, so it was easy.

Oh, also, how could I forget! The Who, 1982. Also the year I discovered Quadrophenia. It's weird to think that at the time it wasn't even a decade old, but to me felt like it was from a distant era of rock music.

1982 was a shit year for The Who :laughing guy:

Come to think, any year after Moon kicked it was....

Edited by BowlCity

Here are some bands I like a lot...

Rush 1980

Iron Maiden 1982

Ultravox 1982

U2 1983 (but stopped listening in 1988)

Nightwish 2014

Killing Joke 1984

Nevermore 2000, but then forgot about them until 2014

• Like 2

Here are some bands I like a lot...

Rush 1980

Iron Maiden 1982

Ultravox 1982

U2 1983 (but stopped listening in 1988)

Nightwish 2014

Killing Joke 1984

Nevermore 2000, but then forgot about them until 2014

Don't worry that you forgot about Nevermore. They've been on hiatus since 2011 so they have forgotten too.

Oh geez,

Beatles- early, got started because friends' older brothers and sisters liked them

Rolling Stones- 1965 , someone gave my dad a little transistor radio at work and he gave it to me, I turned it on and "Satisfaction" was on; I have never turned rock music off since then :)

My other groups, including Rush, came in from that . .

Rush- 1975 (for a short time people in Pittsburgh weirdly used to get them mixed up w/ this other group, Mahogany Rush)

The Who- 1970

Led Zeppelin- 1970

Black Sabbath- 1971 (could take them or leave them but they had a sound like nothing I had heard before!)

Deep Purple- 1972

I have to go to bed now, I feel old

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

In 1975, I was all of eight years old, and FM radio played "Walk This Way" and "Rock And Roll All Night" regularly - I went from The Bay City Rollers to Aerosmith and KISS in'75, an soon made it Jailbreak and Thin Lizzy in the spirit of 1976 .... RUSH came along in 78 ...

1975 - KISS, Aerosmith

1976 - Thin Lizzy

1978 - RUSH, Dead Boys, Ramones, Schenker/UFO

1981 - Iron Maiden

I don't feel old - I feel fortunate

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Joined fanhood of my favorite bands in:

Rush - 1985

Led Zeppelin - 1987ish

Yes - 1988ish

Pink Floyd - 1988ish

Allman Brothers - 1990

Grateful Dead - 1991 (somewhat of a fan in mid/late 80s but really got into them in 91)

Govt Mule - 1995

Black Crowes - 1996

Pretty much go into all of the classic rock bands around 86/87 as I was starting high school (so could add in Hendrix, Stones, Who).

Buddy Guy - 2001, when Sweet Tea came out my Dad got me into it. Sweet Tea is still a complete shock at how raw, gritty, and gnarly Buddy can get.

I always like seeing Sweet Tea get some love

DRIGTB, Living Proof, Sweet Tea, and Slippin' In are his definitive albums for me, cause they're pure Chicago electric blues. His new one's a grower but it's hard to get into cause he's tackling a new sound for himself. Skin Deep's fun to listen to mostly cause it's such a clean record that Buddy keeps throwing his guitar at, so the contrast is eerily enjoyable.

Apart from these albums, his solo material is often unfocused cause he was always trying to make it onto the radio and lost his cohesiveness as a result (see Heavy Love, good lord). I haven't gone before DRIGTB to his Junior Wells stuff or his really old material.

None of this matters unless you see him live. Buddy Guy is on a whole new level live and his interaction with the crowd supplements every. single. song. The man's a goddamn performance god.

The Beatles . 1973 ( Had Hey Jude single at the tender age of 7 , 1969)

Rush . 1978 ( January )

Pink Floyd . 1977

The Who . 1978

Yes . 1977

Edited by By Tor
  • Like 1

Also, because my older sisters were into music, I was often aware of bands at various points of their popularity through them, but sometimes didn't really get into the band on my own until I was older. Like, I definitely remember The Wall coming out and being big, and listening to it when my sisters played the album, but it was probably four or five years later before I bought my first Pink Floyd album. Similarly when Queen's News of The World came out that album got played in our house a lot, but I was seven and probably just as excited to listen to the Cantina theme from the Star Wars soundtrack. It'd be a few more years before I developed a more discerning ear. ;)
  • Like 1

The Beatles, in 1979, after seeing Beatlemania with my mom

The Rolling Stones, in 1979, after buying Some Girls

Van Halen (the Roth era), in 1979, after hearing the debut at my friend's house

Black Sabbath (the Ozzy and Dio eras), in 1980, after hearing them on The King Biscuit Flower Hour on Sunday morning on WAAF

Rush, in 1980, after hearing PeW at that same friend's house.

• Like 2

Chronologically:

Joni Mitchell- about 1976 is when I first heard her, but in earnest, when I became a true fan, okay- 1991

Rush- 1979

Van Halen- 1983 (this was short-lived)

Grateful Dead- 1985

The Beatles- 1986

Led Zeppelin- 1987

Steely Dan- 1988

Allman Brothers Band- 1990

The Black Crowes- 1990

Jamiroquai- 1992

Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, lots of other jazz stuff- 1993

Tim Hardin- 1993

Gov't Mule- 1995

Tim Buckley- 1995

Jeff Buckley- 2005

Ray LaMontagne- 2006

Devendra Banhart- 2005

Genesis, Yes- 2014

Jethro Tull (Anything more than an album or two)- this past month

There are tons of others I'm not thinking of at the moment, too.

Edited by Blue J

I saw Beatlemania I think on that touring production! It definitely fuelled my Beatles love.

• Like 1

I saw Beatlemania I think on that touring production! It definitely fuelled my Beatles love.

I was 11 or 12 and a huge Kiss fan. My mother HATED Kiss. So she took me to Beatlemania at the Shubert Theater in Boston in the hope that I would listen to something else. I've been an enormous fan ever since.

• Like 2

I was 11 or 12 and a huge Kiss fan. My mother HATED Kiss. So she took me to Beatlemania at the Shubert Theater in Boston in the hope that I would listen to something else. I've been an enormous fan ever since.

Nice! My older sisters were Beatles fans when actual Beatlemania was happening in the 60's (I remember them having all of those rare Canadian Beatles albums from the early part of their career, sigh, long lost to the waste bin), so I knew of them, and it was an older sister who took me to see Beatlemania and sealed my excitement. The first album I ever bought for myself was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1