Which is your five favorite bands/artists?

YYZumbi

This is impossible for me to answer. Anything I post is immediately not immutable!

First off, I will not bother to mention the Beatles or Rush. The Beatles are immutable in my number one position and Rush, well, they are the reason I'm apart of this internet community. Both bands are in and of themselves, separate and special.

Okay, five bands:

R.E.M.

Wire

Neil Young & Crazy Horse

XTC

King Crimson

Confession:

I wonder if sometimes people list bands in these types of threads that they think will show others how eclectic and varied their musical taste is. Some of these bands are among your 5, favorite acts? :)

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Van Halen (the Roth era)

Black Sabbath (the Ozzy and Dio eras)

Rush

it's possible that some of us might have 5 favorite bands that don't all get played on the same radio station :D

although I'll admit when someone's list has madonna and megadeth on it or something, it's hard to think that person is being 100% sincere

Confession:

I wonder if sometimes people list bands in these types of threads that they think will show others how eclectic and varied their musical taste is. Some of these bands are among your 5, favorite acts? :)

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Van Halen (the Roth era)

Rush

it's possible that some of us might have 5 favorite bands that don't all get played on the same radio station :D

although I'll admit when someone's list has madonna and megadeth on it or something, it's hard to think that person is being 100% sincere

ERM....

i like both

• Like 1

Rush

Joy division

New Model army

Meat puppets

5th place, lots of contenders; Zappa The church, Beatles B52,s Radiohead Black flag, No means no, Husker Du, vektor, rollins band

slayer king crimson - too hard to get that 5th position. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Confession:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Van Halen (the Roth era)

Rush

Sure it is. But I think sometimes "favorite" loses its meaning the way "underrated" does on message boards.

I love Harry Connick, Jr.'s music, and his show on the Come By Me tour is the best concert I've ever seen. Def Leppard's Pyromania is one of my 5 favorite studio albums ever. I own, and love, all of Soundgarden's albums. None of them are on my top 5 list.

Rush is on my list because they can release something like Hold Your Fire and I can still find something I like about it.

Jethro Tull

Excellent! Say...how many total "likes" do you suppose you've gotten over the years posting Tull tunes?

Since I seldom post any messages of substance, I'd say at least 17,000 of my likes are attributable to those Yes/Tull posts.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

Rush

Iron Maiden

Dream Theater

Van Halen

Led Zeppelin

AC/DC abd The Police get in the list replacing one of them from time to time. Muse was there until The Resistance, but now they've gone downhill for me.

At the moment and in no particular order:

Rush

Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson

Jethro Tull

Genesis

Camel

• Like 4

Al DiMeola

Amon Duul

Willie Nelson

Bone Thugs n Harmony

Taylor Swift (she's so talented :moose: )

• Like 2

Al DiMeola

Amon Duul

Willie Nelson

Bone Thugs n Harmony

But not the really commercial Amon Duul stuff, right?

Of course not...that's poser shit.

Their best stuff is the stuff that's so obscure I haven't even heard it yet.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Lol...I think I should have kept Taylor Swift in my closet for longer hehuehuehue

Al DiMeola

Amon Duul

Willie Nelson

Bone Thugs n Harmony

Atta boy! I loved DiMeola before he got a recording contract. Then he basically became Britney Spears with glasses.

• Like 2

Al DiMeola

Amon Duul

Willie Nelson

Bone Thugs n Harmony

Atta boy! I loved DiMeola before he got a recording contract. Then he basically became Britney Spears with glasses.

Have you guys seen the movie Frank?

Al DiMeola

Amon Duul

Willie Nelson

Bone Thugs n Harmony

Have you guys seen the movie Frank?

No. But I just read the story on Wikipedia. Is it entertaining?

It's good. We watched it yesterday, and although the last 10-15 minutes drag a little bit, I really liked it. The "joke inside the joke" of the movie is that Maggie Gylenhaal is in the band...she always struck me as someone who tries way too hard to make the most alternative/pretentious movies, much like the band's compositions.

Jethro Tull

Excellent! Say...how many total "likes" do you suppose you've gotten over the years posting Tull tunes?

Since I seldom post any messages of substance, I'd say at least 17,000 of my likes are attributable to those Yes/Tull posts.

Good to see TRF give Tull the love.

OK...this isn't a list of my five current most enjoyed bands, rather, a list of the bands that are indisputably my all time most admired and most impactful:

1. ABBA

2. Lacuna Coil

3. Nightwish

4. Bruce Springsteen

5. Rush

In order of discovery, not favourites.

At any given moment the five bands I currently favor most might change, but the five bands which have meant more to me than any others over the years are The Beatles, Wire, Radiohead, Rush and Led Zeppelin.

The bands that are right behind these, and on another day I might have included in place of either Rush or Zeppelin (Beatles, Wire and Radiohead are set in stone) would be The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy, The Wedding Present/Cinerama, or The Church (still going strong). Hard to displace Rush or Zeppelin but these come close. Then of course are the twenty or so bands I really really love, but that's a different question.

Almost-permanent top 3 rotation

Led Zep / Rush / U2

Fighting it out at various times for the remaining 2 spots

UFO / Thin Lizzy / Bon-AC/DC / Tool / Maiden / DLR VH / Talking Heads / Bowie (70s and early 80's) / The Cure / Simple Minds / Big Country / Metallica

• Like 1