#41 rushbass

rushbass

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5973 posts
  • Interests:Music, Motorcycling, Auburn Tigers Football

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

View PostMieko8, on 25 May 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I don't think it's sonic blue.  I think it is actually white.  His sonic blue is the one he got for the CA tour.  He played it for the Garden.

Has to be sonic blue... the lighting in my pic is what makes it look white.  He only brought two "white" jazz basses on tour.  One has a maple neck with black block inlays (actually blonde), and the other has a tort pickguard - this one in question has a white guard...

here is the sonic blue jazz circled in red from the tour book - it is the only jazz with a white pickguard that could be mistaken for white, under hot spotlighting:

Posted Image

Edited by rushbass, 26 May 2015 - 04:56 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 KoaFodera

KoaFodera

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Music, cycling

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

Great posts by everyone celebrating the R40 tour. I really appreciated the photos of each song and the bass Geddy used. Nice work!

We we attended the June 19 show at Toronto. It was a treat to see all the basses Geddy procured for this tour. I too would have liked to see the Wal and Steinberger make appearances but there were plenty to drool over during the concert.

My favorite bass of the night has to be the 1966 Fiesta Red Fender Jazz. When Geddy started playing the opening notes from Cygnus, I couldn't believe how punchy and tight that bass sounded. We were in section 122( down by the mixing boards) and heard every note from that song.

Any forum members have an idea of what one of these gems might go for? I'd love to get my paws on one, assuming I don't have to dump my kids college fund.

#43 rushfanslo

rushfanslo

The Seeker

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

Sonic blue bass was probably purchased from Fretted Americana and is featured in this video about 12:45.
https://www.youtube....h?v=IeOzXvjgdQc
The Custom Shop Sea Foam Green Jazz bass has tortoise pickguard. The wear marks are an exact copy of those on his no. 1.

Edited by rushfanslo, 23 June 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#44 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

View PostKoaFodera, on 23 June 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

Great posts by everyone celebrating the R40 tour. I really appreciated the photos of each song and the bass Geddy used. Nice work!

We we attended the June 19 show at Toronto. It was a treat to see all the basses Geddy procured for this tour. I too would have liked to see the Wal and Steinberger make appearances but there were plenty to drool over during the concert.

My favorite bass of the night has to be the 1966 Fiesta Red Fender Jazz. When Geddy started playing the opening notes from Cygnus, I couldn't believe how punchy and tight that bass sounded. We were in section 122( down by the mixing boards) and heard every note from that song.

Any forum members have an idea of what one of these gems might go for? I'd love to get my paws on one, assuming I don't have to dump my kids college fund.

To find one that color would probably be difficult.

#45 Josh Smith

Josh Smith

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

View Postrushbass, on 26 May 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 25 May 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I don't think it's sonic blue.  I think it is actually white.  His sonic blue is the one he got for the CA tour.  He played it for the Garden.

Has to be sonic blue... the lighting in my pic is what makes it look white.  He only brought two "white" jazz basses on tour.  One has a maple neck with black block inlays (actually blonde), and the other has a tort pickguard - this one in question has a white guard...

here is the sonic blue jazz circled in red from the tour book - it is the only jazz with a white pickguard that could be mistaken for white, under hot spotlighting:

Posted Image

That's definitely the Sonic Blue you have boxed, which has been used for Between the Wheels. There's a good video from Austin on YouTube that has white lights on him introducing the song, and you can definitely see that it's that bass. The Seafoam Green next to his tech is the one he uses for Headlong Flight and Far Cry this tour (and was infamously out of tune at the first Toronto show). Behind it, next to "The Red One" is the Surf Green, which was used on the Clockwork Angels tour, but I don't believe he's brought it out this tour so far.

In the periscope feeds from tonight (Boston), and the second Toronto show, it really looked like he was using the Fiesta Red Jazz, with the matching headstock and white pickguard, that he's been using on Cygnus X-1 since show four or so (he used the one without the matching headstock for the first couple nights, the same one he uses for TSOR). Can anyone confirm that? I haven't been able to find any good videos of it from Toronto yet.

#46 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:42 PM

Glad I'm a drummer....Neil's changes are MUCH easier! :popcorn:

#47 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 21135 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:26 PM

View Postgudbuytjane, on 22 May 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

Okay, after pouring through videos of shows from the tour, I feel pretty confident in most of these (unless he's switching on the same song from night to night, but I haven't noticed that in non-rotation setlist tracks so far). I took the bass descriptions from the tourbook. If anyone has corrections or new information, please let me know, and I'll update this post.

Set 1:

The Anarchist - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black)
Clockwork Angels - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black)
Headlong Flight (with Drumbastica mini drum solo) - 1962 Fender Jazz Bass (Sea Foam Green)
Far Cry - 1962 Fender Jazz Bass (Sea Foam Green)
The Main Monkey Business - 1965 Fender Jazz Bass (White)  
One Little Victory - 1967 Gibson Thunderbird II (Polaris White)
How It Is - 1967 Gibson Thunderbird II (Polaris White)
Animate - 1964 Gibson Thunderbird IV (Sunburst)
Roll The Bones (with celebrity rappers video) - 1959 Fender Precision Bass (Olympic White)
Distant Early Warning - 1992 Zematis Bass (Black with engraved metal front)
Between The Wheels - 1959 Fender Precision Bass (Olympic White) with matching headstock  
Subdivisions - 1964 Fender Jazz Bass (Sonic Blue with matching headstock)

Set 2:

Tom Sawyer - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black)
Red Barchetta - 1977 Rickenbacker Model 4001 (JetGlo)
YYZ - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black)
The Camera Eye - 1968 Rickenbacker Model 4001 (BurgundyGlo)
The Spirit of Radio - 1966 Fender Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red with matching headstock)
Natural Science - 1977 Rickenbacker Model 4001 (JetGlo)
Jacob's Ladder - 1965 Fender Precision Bass (Burgundy Mist)
Hemispheres: Prelude - 1960 Fender Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red)
Cygnus X-1 - 1960 Fender Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red)  
Closer To The Heart - 1967 Rickenbacker Model 3261 (FireGlo)
Xanadu - 1978 Rickenbacker Model 4080/12 (FireGlo)
2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale - 1963 Fender Jazz Bass (Black with matching headstock)

Encore:

Lakeside Park - 1968 Fender Telecaster Bass (Paisley)
Anthem - 1968 Fender Telecaster Bass (Paisley)
What You're Doing - 1961 Hofner Solid Body 2 Pickup (Cherry Red)
Working Man (Garden Road riff at the end) - 1966 Fender Jazz Bass (Shoreline Gold with matching headstock)

Holy moly!  I'm stunned.

#48 78jazz

78jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:05 PM

View PostKoaFodera, on 23 June 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

I think Geddy's is a 1960 (maybe '61). You'd probably be looking at a few thousand dollars.

For me, if I wanted that configuration I think I would make it happen for a lot less.

#49 CygnusGal

CygnusGal

Cylon Model No. 2112

• Members *
  • 5121 posts
  • Location:the space between the mysterious, invisible force lurking in the constellation Cygnus and the destination at unverified jump coordinates 1123.6536.5321
  • Interests:music, books, computers and networking, astronomy, Cylon technology

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:55 PM

Nice job compiling that list!  I was blown away to see so many beautiful basses.  Geddy on a Thunderbird!!!  And more than one! I thought my eyes were fooling me.  :drool: Absolutely beautiful instruments - some bad ass axes (as it were).  Fantastic tone! :notworthy:

:haz:

#50 Josh Smith

Josh Smith

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

Geddy really mixed it up in Newark. Most (all?) of the changes can be found in the pics on Cygnus X-1: http://cygnus-x1.net...-06.27.2015.php

First and foremost, we have proof that he is using a different Zematis than the one he's been using for Distant Early Warning. The pickup configuration and headstock inlays are different. This second bass has been used for both versions of Losing It, and will likely be used again tonight in NYC.

Starting in Toronto, and again in Boston and Newark, Geddy used a Red Precision Bass, which looks like the same color scheme as the Jazz Bass he uses for Cygnus X-1, and it is not listed in the tourbook. It is definitely not the Burgundy Mist Precision Bass he uses for Jacob's Ladder.

In a move that blows my mind, he used the Gold Jazz Bass for Hemispheres. This bass had formerly been used for Subdivisions or Working Man (never for both songs in the same show). His signature Red Jazz, which he's used for 2112 since 1996, Circumstances in 2007, and Hemispheres on this tour, was not played.

For the first time so far, he used what looks like the Jazz Bass he uses for Cygnus X-1 on Working Man in the encore. The Lake Placid Blue Jazz was used for Subdivisions, which keeps the theme of "all new basses" in the encore.

Lastly, even with all the A-B-C-D-E-F setlist surprises, the JetGlo doubleneck has only been used on setlists with The Camera Eye. Toronto II had How It Is and Between the Wheels (like the B set), but the second set matched the C setlist, and the FireGlo doubleneck was present. In Newark, the setlist was B except the Losing It/Wreckers swap, and the JetGlo doubleneck was used.

Edit, because I'm watching the periscope feed from MSG right now. He did indeed use both Zematis Basses, back to back, since they played DEW right before Losing It.

Edited by Josh Smith, 29 June 2015 - 11:31 PM.

#51 rushbass

rushbass

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5973 posts
  • Interests:Music, Motorcycling, Auburn Tigers Football

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:28 PM

View PostJosh Smith, on 29 June 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

Geddy really mixed it up in Newark. Most (all?) of the changes can be found in the pics on Cygnus X-1: http://cygnus-x1.net...-06.27.2015.php

First and foremost, we have proof that he is using a different Zematis than the one he's been using for Distant Early Warning. The pickup configuration and headstock inlays are different. This second bass has been used for both versions of Losing It, and will likely be used again tonight in NYC.

Starting in Toronto, and again in Boston and Newark, Geddy used a Red Precision Bass, which looks like the same color scheme as the Jazz Bass he uses for Cygnus X-1, and it is not listed in the tourbook. It is definitely not the Burgundy Mist Precision Bass he uses for Jacob's Ladder.

In a move that blows my mind, he used the Gold Jazz Bass for Hemispheres. This bass had formerly been used for Subdivisions or Working Man (never for both songs in the same show). His signature Red Jazz, which he's used for 2112 since 1996, and Hemispheres on this tour, was not played.

For the first time so far, he used what looks like the Jazz Bass he uses for Cygnus X-1 on Working Man in the encore. The Lake Placid Blue Jazz was used for Subdivisions, which keeps the theme of "all new basses" in the encore.

Lastly, even with all the A-B-C-D-E-F setlist surprises, the JetGlo doubleneck has only been used on setlists with The Camera Eye. Toronto II had How It Is and Between the Wheels (like the B set), but the second set matched the C setlist, and the FireGlo doubleneck was present. In Newark, the setlist was B except the Losing It/Wreckers swap, and the JetGlo doubleneck was used.

Edit, because I'm watching the periscope feed from MSG right now. He did indeed use both Zematis Basses, back to back, since they played DEW right before Losing It.

I saw that different Zematis on the scope of tonight's show (NYC)... another bass definitely in the mix.

#52 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18335 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:39 PM

This probably doesn't count as an R40 bass as he isn't playing it on tour, but I'm flipping through the R40 tourbook right now and in one of the pictures I see Ged warming up before a show with what I am 90% certain looks like the Rickenbacker Chris Squire signature bass. It looks the same too with its cream looking finish, the "horseshoe" bridge pickup plate thing, and the brown/cream/brown finish on the headstock. It would've been quite something to see him play the signature model of one of his bass heroes live on this tour.

#53 Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

View Postgudbuytjane, on 22 May 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

Set 2
. . .
Xanadu - 1978 Rickenbacker Model 4080/12 (FireGlo)Shoreline Gold with matching headstock)

View Postrushbass, on 25 May 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

. . .  my pics.
Xanadu - 1975 Rickenbacker Model 4080/12 (JetGlo)

Posted Image

View Postrushbass, on 25 May 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Here is a cool impromtu backstage tour video from Tampa... the bass tech is taking a guy around.
[video removed]

The bass tech says that the Jetglo doubleneck is not his actual original one!

View Postgudbuytjane, on 25 May 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

View Postrushbass, on 25 May 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

oops, yep it got pulled quick...let's just say with high probability, that it didn't take too long for this unofficial vid to get back to the band's management... move along, nothing to see here!

I'm glad you got to see it (as well as me) before it got the plug pulled!

One interesting thing, as they were looking at instruments the only 4001 was the BurgundyGlo one, unless I missed the JetGlo? Does that mean he's only using the Burgundy one? I just looked at the Tulsa video of Red Barchetta and I'm pretty sure now it's the burgundy, not the black (egad that is hard to make out, especially when all the lighting colours are either light blue or purple!). Curiouser and curiouser.

It did seem, too, from the tech's commentary that the only song Geddy's switching instruments from night to night is on Xanadu (the two doublenecks).

In this new video https://qello.com/co...ebisode-3-6430#, Geddy says the double neck is a bass and a 12 string. I never knew that. Obviously the 4080/12 designation means 12 string. But, the black one doesn't look like a 12 string - I can't make out the machine heads and how that works. Do 6 of the strings wind around top posts and the other 6 go through the headstock? Is there some sort of Frankenwinder?! Awesome. That thing must be a beast to string and tune and no wonder Skully hates it!

#54 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18335 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

I think with Rickenbacker 12 string guitars, half the strings are strung like a regular guitar and then the other half are strung through the headstock like a classical guitar which would explain why the headstock isn't elongated like other 12 string guitars I see.

Edited by PolarizeMe, 21 July 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#55 Merely Space

Merely Space

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3951 posts
  • Interests:Acting, music, gaming, model making, military history.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

IIRC, for a Rickenbacker 12-string, half the tuners are oriented in the normal direction, and the other half are perpendicular so that the pegs you turn to tune it project behind the headstock, in stead of to the side.  The result is a 12-string that looks like a six-string from a distance.

I'm sure I've described this so poorly, it will make sense to no one.

#56 Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostMerely Space, on 21 July 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

IIRC, for a Rickenbacker 12-string, half the tuners are oriented in the normal direction, and the other half are perpendicular so that the pegs you turn to tune it project behind the headstock, in stead of to the side.  The result is a 12-string that looks like a six-string from a distance.

I'm sure I've described this so poorly, it will make sense to no one.

Nope, I think you described it just right. There's actually a quick shot of it here in this video that shows exactly that.

https://www.youtube....h?v=d-yTVHptvD0

I just never noticed that before. Learn something new every day!
Posted Image

#57 kentpilot

kentpilot

The Seeker

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

So in Denver, Geddy used Shoreline Gold 1966 Fender Jazz for Hemispheres. I'm 90% sure of this. I remember the Fiesta in Tulsa and it was definitely not that in Denver. I'm pretty sure it's 66 Shoreline but I just remembered it was different when reading this thread.

#58 Josh Smith

Josh Smith

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

View Postkentpilot, on 22 July 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

So in Denver, Geddy used Shoreline Gold 1966 Fender Jazz for Hemispheres. I'm 90% sure of this. I remember the Fiesta in Tulsa and it was definitely not that in Denver. I'm pretty sure it's 66 Shoreline but I just remembered it was different when reading this thread.

For the first half of the tour, he was using his old Flame Maple Red Fender Custom Shop Jazz. Through the first half of the Time Machine tour, it had no pick guard, and since then has had pick guards with two different alchemy symbols. He was using the Shoreline Gold Jazz for Working Man (and Subdivisions for a short stretch), and the Lake Placid Blue Jazz was being used for either Working Man or Subdivisions (never for both in the same show). Beginning in Montreal, and continuing ever since, he's used the Lake Placid Blue Jazz for Subdivisions, the Shoreline Gold Jazz for Hemispheres, and what I believe is the 1966 Fiesta Red Jazz for Working Man.

Speaking of the 1966 Fiesta Red Jazz, I do not believe he has used it for Cygnus X-1 at all. It looks Candy Apple Red in every pic/video I've seen. He did use the 1960 Fiesta Red Jazz for Cygnus X-1 the first three shows (the same one for TSOR). In some shots, you can see wear on the horn on the bass he uses for Cygnus X-1, and it does not match the wear on the red one he uses for Working Man.

#59 Mieko8

Mieko8

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

I was at the San Jose concert last night.  There were two different fiesta red basses "and" a candy apple red.  He didn't play the flamey red bass that was used on the last few tours.  Although he played 2 different white basses, neither was the white one used on the last tour.  Nor did he play the sonic blue bass used for the Garden last tour.  He also played the black one that has the dark pick guard.

He played his favorite black jazz for only 3 songs.  I thought the first fiesta red bass he played was the best sounding bass of the entire night.  It's the one that has some wear on it, and it's shown on that new video on Quello that gives a tour of his basses.  

In my opinion the worst sounding bass was the white thunderbird.  The bottom completely dropped out.  The brown thunderbird sounded way better.  I loved the Hofner and sunburst Rick.  They sounded great, as did his maroon Rick.  

Anyone know why he chose to leave his famous black Rick at home?  I wish he would have played it.  

The lake placid blue and the shoreline gold basses rounded out the night.   The gold one sounded amazing.  The lake placid blue was only used for Subdivisions.   The paisley was cool too.  I can tell he likes that Zematis, but it looked heavy and uncomfortable for him.

Alex was playing a 60 LP.  Anyone know if that was a reissue or a real '60?

#60 rushfanslo

rushfanslo

The Seeker

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

https://qello.com/?f...bisode4facebook

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: r40, geddy, basses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users