Geddy's R40 Basses (includes setlists)

gudbuytjane

Here is a cool impromtu backstage tour video from Tampa... the bass tech is taking a guy around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klOp100Or7g

The bass tech says that the Jetglo doubleneck is not his actual original one! I guess the original is still at the RRHOF Museum? Or at his house???

Also, the bass tech calls the Red Jazz with matching headstock and white pickguard "Candy Apple Red" even though it is listed as Fiesta Red in the tour book... I knew that was CAR, not Fiesta Red!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klOp100Or7g

• Like 1

Here is a cool impromtu backstage tour video from Tampa... the bass tech is taking a guy around.

https://www.youtube....h?v=klOp100Or7g

The bass tech says that the Jetglo doubleneck is not his actual original one! I guess the original is still at the RRHOF Museum? Or at his house???

Also, the bass tech calls the Red Jazz with matching headstock and white pickguard "Candy Apple Red" even though it is listed as Fiesta Red in the tour book... I knew that was CAR, not Fiesta Red!

Amazing, but damn--the user removed the videos JUST as I was watching the first one. By the time I clicked on the second they were both gone. :o

That was an amazing video! So glad I got to see it. :) And nice to have certain instruments verified by the tech.

A) Damn, Rushbass, good job!

B) Damn, I wish I could have seen those videos.

C) Does anyone else find it odd that the paisley telecaster bass looks more like a stratocaster?

• Like 1

C) Does anyone else find it odd that the paisley telecaster bass looks more like a stratocaster?

Yeah, it's always seemed odd to me they called it the Telecaster Bass when it came out in 1968, when it was actually more Precision Bass Classic, mimicking the original P-bass design from 1951-1956. The new Precision design (aka the one we're used to as being the P-bass) was apparently designed to look more like a Strat, and has a far Strat-ier headstock, vs. the original, which is pretty Telecaster-like. Maybe that's what inspired the name when they revived the original design. Also, I think the body of the Tele bass is far more an uncontoured slab of wood, like Tele guitar bodies, vs. the contours of the Precision/Strat.

• Like 2

Amazing, but damn--the user removed the videos JUST as I was watching the first one. By the time I clicked on the second they were both gone. :o

That was an amazing video! So glad I got to see it. :) And nice to have certain instruments verified by the tech.

oops, yep it got pulled quick...let's just say with high probability, that it didn't take too long for this unofficial vid to get back to the band's management... move along, nothing to see here!

I'm glad you got to see it (as well as me) before it got the plug pulled!

Edited by rushbass

Yeah, it's always seemed odd to me they called it the Telecaster Bass when it came out in 1968, when it was actually more Precision Bass Classic, mimicking the original P-bass design from 1951-1956. The new Precision design (aka the one we're used to as being the P-bass) was apparently designed to look more like a Strat, and has a far Strat-ier headstock, vs. the original, which is pretty Telecaster-like. Maybe that's what inspired the name when they revived the original design. Also, I think the body of the Tele bass is far more an uncontoured slab of wood, like Tele guitar bodies, vs. the contours of the Precision/Strat.

Exactly! The only thing telecastery about it to me is the flatness of it. Well, and the headstock.

• Like 1

Geddy with the thunderbird looks.... wrong, somehow.

I thought that too. It looks funny on him. But then they are oddly shaped basses.

I am no expert on basses but that thunderbird model just doesnt seem to fit for songs like OLV/How It Is for me. Again I guess on any bass you shouldn't have drastic changes in sound, you are playing the same notes for that song maybe some differences in tone I guess? But still thunderbird just looks weird on him for OLV.

Could someone also help me understand how the double bass works exactly for Xanadu? I noticed on the new orleans video which is really good he plays the top part for most of it and I only saw him play the second part at the end I think. What exactly is the difference and is the whole thing more for show than anything? I imagine it would be since he played it fine on R30 with a normal bass.

The top part is a bass, the bottom is a guitar.

Geddy plays rhythm guitar while Alex does the outro solo. It does result in a fuller sound for that part of the song. It didn't matter for R30, because they played a truncated version that didn't have that part.

Right. Thanks. I was on my phone when I answered that before, and couldn't write it all out.

• Like 1

oops, yep it got pulled quick...let's just say with high probability, that it didn't take too long for this unofficial vid to get back to the band's management... move along, nothing to see here!

I'm glad you got to see it (as well as me) before it got the plug pulled!

One interesting thing, as they were looking at instruments the only 4001 was the BurgundyGlo one, unless I missed the JetGlo? Does that mean he's only using the Burgundy one? I just looked at the Tulsa video of Red Barchetta and I'm pretty sure now it's the burgundy, not the black (egad that is hard to make out, especially when all the lighting colours are either light blue or purple!). Curiouser and curiouser.

It did seem, too, from the tech's commentary that the only song Geddy's switching instruments from night to night is on Xanadu (the two doublenecks).

• Like 1

I don't think it's sonic blue. I think it is actually white. His sonic blue is the one he got for the CA tour. He played it for the Garden.

Funny this gets mentioned, as when I first saw this bass it appeared Inca silver to me (but I have yet to see this tour and won't see the B set, so this is based off of videos).

As for the bass used on the Garden, that is surf green.

Great post! I was wondering how many equipment switched he had made. Geddy really looks to be enjoying himself this tour (although he looked pained by the doubleneck a few times in Tampa). I too would love to see Steiny return for DEW!
  • Like 1

I don't think it's sonic blue. I think it is actually white. His sonic blue is the one he got for the CA tour. He played it for the Garden.

Has to be sonic blue... the lighting in my pic is what makes it look white. He only brought two "white" jazz basses on tour. One has a maple neck with black block inlays (actually blonde), and the other has a tort pickguard - this one in question has a white guard...

here is the sonic blue jazz circled in red from the tour book - it is the only jazz with a white pickguard that could be mistaken for white, under hot spotlighting:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/RUSH%20R40%20New%20Orleans/Basses%20Used%20-%20Rush%202015%20New%20Orleans/R40%20Basses%20-%20resize.jpg

Edited by rushbass
  • Like 1

Great posts by everyone celebrating the R40 tour. I really appreciated the photos of each song and the bass Geddy used. Nice work!

We we attended the June 19 show at Toronto. It was a treat to see all the basses Geddy procured for this tour. I too would have liked to see the Wal and Steinberger make appearances but there were plenty to drool over during the concert.

My favorite bass of the night has to be the 1966 Fiesta Red Fender Jazz. When Geddy started playing the opening notes from Cygnus, I couldn't believe how punchy and tight that bass sounded. We were in section 122( down by the mixing boards) and heard every note from that song.

Any forum members have an idea of what one of these gems might go for? I'd love to get my paws on one, assuming I don't have to dump my kids college fund.

• Like 1

Sonic blue bass was probably purchased from Fretted Americana and is featured in this video about 12:45.

The Custom Shop Sea Foam Green Jazz bass has tortoise pickguard. The wear marks are an exact copy of those on his no. 1.

Edited by rushfanslo
  • Like 1

Great posts by everyone celebrating the R40 tour. I really appreciated the photos of each song and the bass Geddy used. Nice work!

We we attended the June 19 show at Toronto. It was a treat to see all the basses Geddy procured for this tour. I too would have liked to see the Wal and Steinberger make appearances but there were plenty to drool over during the concert.

My favorite bass of the night has to be the 1966 Fiesta Red Fender Jazz. When Geddy started playing the opening notes from Cygnus, I couldn't believe how punchy and tight that bass sounded. We were in section 122( down by the mixing boards) and heard every note from that song.

Any forum members have an idea of what one of these gems might go for? I'd love to get my paws on one, assuming I don't have to dump my kids college fund.

To find one that color would probably be difficult.

• Like 1

Has to be sonic blue... the lighting in my pic is what makes it look white. He only brought two "white" jazz basses on tour. One has a maple neck with black block inlays (actually blonde), and the other has a tort pickguard - this one in question has a white guard...

here is the sonic blue jazz circled in red from the tour book - it is the only jazz with a white pickguard that could be mistaken for white, under hot spotlighting:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/RUSH%20R40%20New%20Orleans/Basses%20Used%20-%20Rush%202015%20New%20Orleans/R40%20Basses%20-%20resize.jpg

That's definitely the Sonic Blue you have boxed, which has been used for Between the Wheels. There's a good video from Austin on YouTube that has white lights on him introducing the song, and you can definitely see that it's that bass. The Seafoam Green next to his tech is the one he uses for Headlong Flight and Far Cry this tour (and was infamously out of tune at the first Toronto show). Behind it, next to "The Red One" is the Surf Green, which was used on the Clockwork Angels tour, but I don't believe he's brought it out this tour so far.

In the periscope feeds from tonight (Boston), and the second Toronto show, it really looked like he was using the Fiesta Red Jazz, with the matching headstock and white pickguard, that he's been using on Cygnus X-1 since show four or so (he used the one without the matching headstock for the first couple nights, the same one he uses for TSOR). Can anyone confirm that? I haven't been able to find any good videos of it from Toronto yet.

• Like 1

Okay, after pouring through videos of shows from the tour, I feel pretty confident in most of these (unless he's switching on the same song from night to night, but I haven't noticed that in non-rotation setlist tracks so far). I took the bass descriptions from the tourbook. If anyone has corrections or new information, please let me know, and I'll update this post.

Set 1:

The Anarchist - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black)

Clockwork Angels - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black)

Headlong Flight (with Drumbastica mini drum solo) - 1962 Fender Jazz Bass (Sea Foam Green)

Far Cry - 1962 Fender Jazz Bass (Sea Foam Green)

The Main Monkey Business - 1965 Fender Jazz Bass (White)

One Little Victory - 1967 Gibson Thunderbird II (Polaris White)

How It Is - 1967 Gibson Thunderbird II (Polaris White)

Animate - 1964 Gibson Thunderbird IV (Sunburst)

Roll The Bones (with celebrity rappers video) - 1959 Fender Precision Bass (Olympic White)

Distant Early Warning - 1992 Zematis Bass (Black with engraved metal front)

Between The Wheels - 1959 Fender Precision Bass (Olympic White) with matching headstock

Subdivisions - 1964 Fender Jazz Bass (Sonic Blue with matching headstock)

Set 2:

Tom Sawyer - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black)

Red Barchetta - 1977 Rickenbacker Model 4001 (JetGlo)

YYZ - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black)

The Camera Eye - 1968 Rickenbacker Model 4001 (BurgundyGlo)

The Spirit of Radio - 1966 Fender Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red with matching headstock)

Natural Science - 1977 Rickenbacker Model 4001 (JetGlo)

Jacob's Ladder - 1965 Fender Precision Bass (Burgundy Mist)

Hemispheres: Prelude - 1960 Fender Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red)

Cygnus X-1 - 1960 Fender Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red)

Closer To The Heart - 1967 Rickenbacker Model 3261 (FireGlo)

Xanadu - 1978 Rickenbacker Model 4080/12 (FireGlo)

2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale - 1963 Fender Jazz Bass (Black with matching headstock)

Encore:

Lakeside Park - 1968 Fender Telecaster Bass (Paisley)

Anthem - 1968 Fender Telecaster Bass (Paisley)

What You're Doing - 1961 Hofner Solid Body 2 Pickup (Cherry Red)

Working Man (Garden Road riff at the end) - 1966 Fender Jazz Bass (Shoreline Gold with matching headstock)

Holy moly! I'm stunned.

I think Geddy's is a 1960 (maybe '61). You'd probably be looking at a few thousand dollars.

For me, if I wanted that configuration I think I would make it happen for a lot less.

Nice job compiling that list! I was blown away to see so many beautiful basses. Geddy on a Thunderbird!!! And more than one! I thought my eyes were fooling me. :drool: Absolutely beautiful instruments - some bad ass axes (as it were). Fantastic tone! :notworthy:

:haz:

Geddy really mixed it up in Newark. Most (all?) of the changes can be found in the pics on Cygnus X-1: http://cygnus-x1.net...-06.27.2015.php

First and foremost, we have proof that he is using a different Zematis than the one he's been using for Distant Early Warning. The pickup configuration and headstock inlays are different. This second bass has been used for both versions of Losing It, and will likely be used again tonight in NYC.

Starting in Toronto, and again in Boston and Newark, Geddy used a Red Precision Bass, which looks like the same color scheme as the Jazz Bass he uses for Cygnus X-1, and it is not listed in the tourbook. It is definitely not the Burgundy Mist Precision Bass he uses for Jacob's Ladder.

In a move that blows my mind, he used the Gold Jazz Bass for Hemispheres. This bass had formerly been used for Subdivisions or Working Man (never for both songs in the same show). His signature Red Jazz, which he's used for 2112 since 1996, Circumstances in 2007, and Hemispheres on this tour, was not played.

For the first time so far, he used what looks like the Jazz Bass he uses for Cygnus X-1 on Working Man in the encore. The Lake Placid Blue Jazz was used for Subdivisions, which keeps the theme of "all new basses" in the encore.

Lastly, even with all the A-B-C-D-E-F setlist surprises, the JetGlo doubleneck has only been used on setlists with The Camera Eye. Toronto II had How It Is and Between the Wheels (like the B set), but the second set matched the C setlist, and the FireGlo doubleneck was present. In Newark, the setlist was B except the Losing It/Wreckers swap, and the JetGlo doubleneck was used.

Edit, because I'm watching the periscope feed from MSG right now. He did indeed use both Zematis Basses, back to back, since they played DEW right before Losing It.

Edited by Josh Smith
  • Like 1