Anyone know the real story behind La Villa?

Captain Avatar

Alex made the point on Renman Live that it only took two takes for La Villa (one practice and the second take was recorded), and both of them were played all the way through as a band. On Beyond the Lighted Stage the point was made that they had to "admit defeat" when they couldn't play it all the way through in a single take, and had to record it in parts.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but the accounts seem contradictory (not being snarky...just admitting my own possible ignorance of recording processes).

Alex also said the same was true of Xanadu...one practice take and a second take that was recorded and put on the record. If Alex's recollection is correct, that's unbelievable, IMO!

I found it. Here is what Geddy said:

Even La Villa Strangiato we wanted to record as one ten-minute piece. But we were also becoming perfectionists at that point and just didn't like the long pieces we were doing. They started to lose energy, so we finally compromised, and I think we recorded that song in three pieces, and then we glued them together.

Even La Villa Strangiato we wanted to record as one ten-minute piece. But we were also becoming perfectionists at that point and just didn't like the long pieces we were doing. They started to lose energy, so we finally compromised, and I think we recorded that song in three pieces, and then we glued them together.

Thanks for finding that Lorraine! But now it seems like there are three accounts, since here Geddy says they recorded it in three pieces, not because they had to "admit defeat" from a technique standpoint, but because they were bored playing it all the way through! :huh:

Thanks for finding that Lorraine! But now it seems like there are three accounts, since here Geddy says they recorded it in three pieces, not because they had to "admit defeat" from a technique standpoint, but because they were bored playing it all the way through! :huh:

If you read the whole chapter on Hemispheres, he says it was the most complex album they ever did, and how difficult it was to do. The songs were written too high for him to sing, but by the time they found that out, it was too late to change everything, so that's why Geddy is singing like that.

I thought that it was interesting that Alex said on Renman live that you can hear a "ghost solo" at one point in La Villa if you listen closely (evidently a remnant of the original solo he was going to play). I'm not sure what part he is referring to. Do any of you know at what point in the song that appears?
  • Like 2

I thought that it was interesting that Alex said on Renman live that you can hear a "ghost solo" at one point in La Villa if you listen closely (evidently a remnant of the original solo he was going to play). I'm not sure what part he is referring to. Do any of you know at what point in the song that appears?

I've heard that before from Lifeson, and I've strained and strained, but I can't hear anything. Maybe my ears are too old and I don't have good enough equipment.

On a related note, though, I do contend that you can hear Lee's original scream near the end of Closer to the Heart on Exit Stage Left - you hear it mostly as an echo. Of course, I've mentioned this before, so I'm :beathorse:

http://rushvault.com/2011/01/11/la-villa-strangiato-background/

“We wrote this one on the road. We used our soundchecks to run through songs that we were going to record; then, when we would have a few days off we’d start recording. This song was recorded in one take, with all of us in the same room. We had baffles up around the guitar, bass, and drums, and we would look at each other for the cues. My solo in the middle section was overdubbed after we recorded the basic tracks. I played a solo while we did the first take and rerecorded it later. If you listen very carefully, you can hear the other solo ghosted in the background. That was a fun exercise in developing a lot of different sections in an instrumental. It gave everyone the chance to stretch out. . . . By that time I had my [Gibson] ES-355, and my acoustics were a Gibson Dove, J-55, and a B-45 12-string. I had my Marshall in the studio. I had the Twin and two Hiwatts, which I was also using live, but the Marshall was my real workhorse. The Boss Chorus unit had just come out at that time, but I think I used a Roland JC-120 for the chorus sound here. Hemispheres was the first of many ‘chorus’ albums.”—Alex in a 1996 Guitar World interview

“‘La Villa Strangiato’ has two parts that were each recorded in one take. We felt it was a song that needed the feeling of spontaneity to make it work, so we spent over a week learning it before we recorded. After we were finished, none of us thought we’d ever be able to play it again. But now I can do it while watching TV. (Guitar Player, 1980). I always enjoy playing that solo. I like the changes and it’s a very emotive, bluesy kind of solo. It stays the same every night. The band is in the background, modulating between two notes, and it gives me a chance to wail.” (Guitar, 1984)—Alex in Merely Players

:huh:

Isnt it about a nightmare Alex had? Omg, what was i thinkin about...?

Yes! The song sections are based on a dream he had, apparently, hence all the monsters, and sleeping perchance to dreaming... :)

Danforth and Pape is an intersection in the east end of Toronto. I always think of La Villa when I'm going past it.

• Like 1

Alex made the point on Renman Live that it only took two takes for La Villa (one practice and the second take was recorded), and both of them were played all the way through as a band. On Beyond the Lighted Stage the point was made that they had to "admit defeat" when they couldn't play it all the way through in a single take, and had to record it in parts.

He said that about Xanadu in the Renman interview, but I don't remember him saying it about La Villa.

http://rushvault.com...ato-background/

“We wrote this one on the road. We used our soundchecks to run through songs that we were going to record; then, when we would have a few days off we’d start recording. This song was recorded in one take, with all of us in the same room. We had baffles up around the guitar, bass, and drums, and we would look at each other for the cues. My solo in the middle section was overdubbed after we recorded the basic tracks. I played a solo while we did the first take and rerecorded it later. If you listen very carefully, you can hear the other solo ghosted in the background. That was a fun exercise in developing a lot of different sections in an instrumental. It gave everyone the chance to stretch out. . . . By that time I had my [Gibson] ES-355, and my acoustics were a Gibson Dove, J-55, and a B-45 12-string. I had my Marshall in the studio. I had the Twin and two Hiwatts, which I was also using live, but the Marshall was my real workhorse. The Boss Chorus unit had just come out at that time, but I think I used a Roland JC-120 for the chorus sound here. Hemispheres was the first of many ‘chorus’ albums.”—Alex in a 1996 Guitar World interview

“‘La Villa Strangiato’ has two parts that were each recorded in one take. We felt it was a song that needed the feeling of spontaneity to make it work, so we spent over a week learning it before we recorded. After we were finished, none of us thought we’d ever be able to play it again. But now I can do it while watching TV. (Guitar Player, 1980). I always enjoy playing that solo. I like the changes and it’s a very emotive, bluesy kind of solo. It stays the same every night. The band is in the background, modulating between two notes, and it gives me a chance to wail.” (Guitar, 1984)—Alex in Merely Players

:huh:

I'm not sure that's contradictory, depending on how you read it.

I would have to go back and check, but I am almost positive that I read in my Rush book that La Villa had to be recorded in pieces.

I'll go check and report back. :)

What is it for Rush book you have? What is it called?

I would have to go back and check, but I am almost positive that I read in my Rush book that La Villa had to be recorded in pieces.

Zumbi, the name of the book is Contents Under Pressure. I think the author is Martin Poppoff (not sure if the spelling of his last name is correct).

• Like 1

Isnt it about a nightmare Alex had? Omg, what was i thinkin about...?

Yes! The song sections are based on a dream he had, apparently, hence all the monsters, and sleeping perchance to dreaming... :)

Danforth and Pape is an intersection in the east end of Toronto. I always think of La Villa when I'm going past it.

Oh. Well, thanks then! Thought i was just thinking strange things

• Like 1

Zumbi, the name of the book is Contents Under Pressure. I think the author is Martin Poppoff (not sure if the spelling of his last name is correct).

I read this one several years ago and it was good. Here's an Amazon link

• Like 1

Some of the melodies in La Villa are based on a cartoon soundtrack. Does anybody know where to find it?

Raymond Scott, "Powerhouse" - check around 1:25

• Like 3