Gary Moore - Where do I begin?

Everything I've heard from Gary Moore sounds really good, and I love his playing style. But the guy has so much music out there, and I'm not sure where to begin. A lot of people have compared Bonamassa to Moore, and I suppose both fit into the hard blues rock genre pretty well.

Moore fans, where do I start?

Hard to tell, but I would start with the Gary Moore Band. Their 1973 album Grinding Stone is awesome.

Don't miss the stuff when he was in Thin Lizzy.

Hard to tell, but I would start with the Gary Moore Band. Their 1973 album Grinding Stone is awesome.

Don't miss the stuff when he was in Thin Lizzy.

His Thin Lizzy material is what I'm most familiar with.

For more of his rock approach, the live album "We Want MOORE!" is still my favourite :haz:
  • Like 1

It depends whether you want to go rock, blues or jazz/fusion.

If it's blues start with the Still Got the Blues album and work chronologically. If it's rock you can start with Thin Lizzy's Black Rose or just start with his second solo album. Or go back to the early 70's and try some early Thin Lizzy or his first solo album.

If it's jazz/fusion you need the Colosseum II albums of the 70's. They did three albums, Strange New Flesh, Electric Savage and War Dance. They're kind of like Return to Forever.

• Like 1

His solo album back on the streets is a great mix of his styles.

I think it's safe to say he was the most "Complete guitarist ever.

Here's a track from 73....

Edited by foghorn-leghorn

Everything I've heard from Gary Moore sounds really good, and I love his playing style. But the guy has so much music out there, and I'm not sure where to begin. A lot of people have compared Bonamassa to Moore, and I suppose both fit into the hard blues rock genre pretty well.

Moore fans, where do I start?

Start from the beginning! SKID ROW!

By the way, I am in love with Kris Bryant.

Tough loss against the Nats last night. Only score from us was a Bryant homer, but we got outpitched. Nats bullpen is a lot better than the Cubs bullpen that 90% of the time manages to shit the bed.

Went for the blues immediately. Everything people say about this guy's skills is true :yes:

If you like his blues stuff, you should check out Around the Next Dream, an album he did with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, under the band name BBM. Essentially, it's Cream, but with Moore instead of Clapton.

https://www.youtube....h?v=dhArQeRXtZ0

If you like his rock stuff this is the concert for you. It is IMHO the best overall performance in concert overall by any band ever. And the improvised solo at the end of Empty Rooms is just perfect.

Plus an amazing version of The Loner :guitar: