Where do I start with Bruce Springsteen?

I prefer to take it along with copies of Presto and Roll The Bones and throw them off a cliff to land in Rosie O'Donnell's no-man's land, but that's just me.
  • Like 1

Ok my honest opinion. I can enjoy his first say 4 records. Some really good stuff. Having said that. I swear he's written the same album for 40 years now. am I wrong here?

Mick

• Like 3

I don't hear the same album over and over. But interestingly enough, a lot of his more fruitful writing sessions created enough great songs that eventually saw release over the span of several albums. So there is some truth in that (The Darkness sessions left a lot of material over for subsequent releases).

The last fifteen years, every album has had a distinct personality. Tunnel Of Love through to Lucky Town, very similar albums, but different moods contained within each release.

Tom Waits, Mick, isn't even comparable. From what I have heard, he is a different beast altogether. Closest artist to Springsteen in my books is Tom Petty, and even then its not even that comparable.

If you want to try Springsteen go ahead. If you hate him, well...I sort of get it but I love him so much it is as hard for me to fathom how one could dislike him as it is for one to dislike Rush.

• Like 1

I don't hear the same album over and over. But interestingly enough, a lot of his more fruitful writing sessions created enough great songs that eventually saw release over the span of several albums. So there is some truth in that (The Darkness sessions left a lot of material over for subsequent releases).

The last fifteen years, every album has had a distinct personality. Tunnel Of Love through to Lucky Town, very similar albums, but different moods contained within each release.

Tom Waits, Mick, isn't even comparable. From what I have heard, he is a different beast altogether. Closest artist to Springsteen in my books is Tom Petty, and even then its not even that comparable.

If you want to try Springsteen go ahead. If you hate him, well...I sort of get it but I love him so much it is as hard for me to fathom how one could dislike him as it is for one to dislike Rush.

Hey everything you feel for bruce is what i feel for Waits.

i know the passion and i respect it.

i look at Waits with a rose colored view.......i certainly don't deny it, lol

Mick

• Like 2

If there was one song where I had to shoot the radio it is this,

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A. :banghead: :bang bang:

STFU dude. :facepalm:

BOOOORN IN THE...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AOnbhl906s

Mick

:LOL:

I like the message,

But hate how he yells.

Well.......I'm from NY so that would be me. :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

If there was one song where I had to shoot the radio it is this,

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A. :banghead: :bang bang:

STFU dude. :facepalm:

BOOOORN IN THE...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AOnbhl906s

Mick

:LOL:

I like the message,

But hate how he yells.

Well.......I'm from NY so that would be me. :laughing guy:

Mick

Well,

You guys from NY get a pass most of the time. :D I really enjoyed my trips there. :cheers:

• Like 1

Born In The USA wouldn't make my list of top 100 Bruce songs.

The album would have been a lot better if he had used Murder Incorporated for both the album title, and in place of BITUSA.

Although I do like the extended version of the song (cool outro), and the acoustic version, which incidentally is how it started (during the Nebraska sessions) is haunting. OK, the acoustic version makes it on my list.

The BITUSA album has greatness, but isn't his best, by a long shot!

I like Springsteen. He wrote some brilliant songs and the one time I saw him in concert it was memorable. With that said, like with U2, I don't understand the critical fawning. Are they really that good? Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

I like Springsteen. He wrote some brilliant songs and the one time I saw him in concert it was memorable. With that said, like with U2, I don't understand the critical fawning. Are they reallu that good?

Critical praise can color one's view of an artist.

but..........if you ask me........and this IS coming from a non-fan. I would never call Bruce a great. Made some real good albums. but not a great, IMO.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Springsteen is kind of an American blue-collar institution, kind of like Bob Seger and John Mellencamp. They had most of their best music back in the 70's and 80's.
  • Like 2

I'm going to give Bruce Springsteen a chance since Segue keeps mentioning him. Where should I start, and does he have any iconic live albums?

If you haven't already heard them played to death during your lifetime, I would recommend "Greetings from Asbury Park" and "Born to Run," followed by "Darkness on the Edge of Town."

I'm one that loves Bruce, the way he crafts lyrics, especially on those albums, stacks right up close to Mr. Peart. The songs of both Neil and Bruce are the ones that, over 40 + years of rock listening, have painted some of the most vivid images for me.

The live album I would recommend is one that has been around as a bootleg forever and is now available as a regular issue- "Bruce Springsteen, Agora Ballroom, August 1978." He was in a contractual dispute with his record company then and couldn't release any new music and was putting all his energy into touring and it shows- it was an awesome concert! I was actually there that night (long story, Segue, I was going to pm you sometime to tell you and see if you had this recording) it was a comedy of errors trying to get a car of 19 yr old girls there from another state and it was one of my great concert experiences.

It was the same club that "Rush ABC"/ "Fifth Order of Angels" was recorded at. It was an epic place that eventually burned down and was replaced by something nicer but with less soul . . . .

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Being that I was born and raised and lived over three decades in New Jersey, and I was there when Bruce's star appeared on the horizon and started rising, I can tell you that his great appeal was that he was supposed to be "one of us" and, as someone already said, this down to earth blue collar Budweiser guzzling pool playing regular Joe. And I suppose he was for a time.
  • Like 1

You may not like his music, but I don't know how anyone can not respect Springsteen. No reason to hate. He puts more into a live show than any other artist out there. And he did that from day one as an unknown and still does in his 60's. He held to his convictions and principals even when record companies and industry big wigs were trying to button hole him to follow the right "formula" for success. He won over his fans show by show and did it his way. He has also written some great rock songs. It took me a long time to like him. I used to "hate" him back in the late 70's until I was dragged to a concert against my will by a girlfriend at the time. That concert was unlike anything I had ever seen. The energy level was incredible. I don't listen to everything he has recorded and didn't really like all his albums, but there is enough there for me to consider him one of the rock greats.
  • Like 3

All this Bruce talk has me thinking I should reacquaint myself with him as well. :)

I've been doing that. I had bought his 1st 4.......and being the compulsive music freak i am. bought up through Magic. i really enjoy his first 4. he starts losing me at the river. a few points for Tunnel of Love.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2