Where do I start with Bruce Springsteen?

Start with the knees, and work your way up.

Only kidding, love the guy. I'll stick with my original post, Darkness & 75-85.

My one beef though, is the media over here(Ireland). He's playing here in May, and you'd swear he was going to cure cancer during the gigs. Too much brown nosing.

And I haven't missed a tour in 20 years, but it's just a gig, a very good one, but that's it. He's not the Messiah.

Try living in New Jersey!

I was going to say the same thing! :)

• Like 1

I am a die hard fan and I have no trouble in pointing out my annoyances with him.

He does overcharge for certain things. Take, for example, The River box set. I already have the album remastered. The bonus album, The Ties That Bind, deserves a proper separate re-release, and the bonus tracks are mostly re-recordings of songs that still feel better on the bootlegs!

In short, £100 is a lot of money to spend when, for definite, most fans have nearly all of this is some form or another already. And if he decides to re-release bits and bobs later, he will likely add additional extras (like he did with the Tracks box set and the Darkness documentary).

And the concerts are very expensive. It wouldn't bother me if he could just tone down the working class hero schtick.

But so what? I have a little beef with my hero. Who is perfect? Nobody. I love him, his work means the world to me, even a lot of his so called sub par stuff.

I crack a lot of Jokes on the guy. Cause it's easy to. very much so, lol. but if i'm in just the right mood. i do enjoy him a lot.

Is his same-y. i still hold the view heard one heard em all.

but the run from the debut to Tunnel of Love no deneying is fantastic.

My fav is Tunnel of Love.

Mick

"Born In The USA is a mere celebration of all that had come before, but I also think it hints towards his new direction."

I have to disagree here....

You need to place this album into the context of the times. But before i go there you need to understand the misconception of the title song. it is NOT a rah rah rah USA song.... It is a Vietnam protest song for the returning vets of the war. it was originally written as "you died in Vietnam" read the lyrics and keep in mind a vet returning to nothingness form a war that he was drafted into and had to venture into a quagmire of sh!t ...

then remember this album was recorded and written during the mid 80's ... the start of shutting down all things made in the country... off shoring of jobs, offshoring of ideas and misery for millions. read and understand the lyrics to "my home town"

"Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores

Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more

They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks

Foreman says these jobs are going boys

and they ain't coming back to your hometown"

In every song on this album is a protest of how Bruce seen the country and the way it was turning.

all of his music is deep and tells a story of survival.

cheers and i vote for the river album followed by born to run

• Like 1

"Born In The USA is a mere celebration of all that had come before, but I also think it hints towards his new direction."

You need to place this album into the context of the times. But before i go there you need to understand the misconception of the title song. it is NOT a rah rah rah USA song.... It is a Vietnam protest song for the returning vets of the war. it was originally written as "you died in Vietnam" read the lyrics and keep in mind a vet returning to nothingness form a war that he was drafted into and had to venture into a quagmire of sh!t ...

then remember this album was recorded and written during the mid 80's ... the start of shutting down all things made in the country... off shoring of jobs, offshoring of ideas and misery for millions. read and understand the lyrics to "my home town"

In every song on this album is a protest of how Bruce seen the country and the way it was turning.

I knew all of this already and I also think it fits alongside his post BITUSA work more than any of his prior work. I count Nebraska as a superior album, I dislike strongly a lot of the synths on BITUSA, something Springsteen has since gone on to say, as often the sound of the album does not reflect the depth of the lyrics. I still prefer the Nebraska outtake of the title track.

I am not necessarily saying his next three albums were as good, and they weren't as bombastic, but musically BITUSA was a very different beast to his first six albums. I also find it the least engaging work of The E Street Band to that point. And I have heard many old school fans who were there from the beginning say the same thing. Plus, Springsteen never revisited the sound of BITUSA and that in itself speaks volumes.

I know plenty of people who were around in the eighties who thought this was his debut and when I played them his older work, they disliked it in comparison, but enjoyed his subsequent work.

Lyrically it does have quite a bit in common with the previous albums in places.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I knew all of this already and I also think it fits alongside his post BITUSA work more than any of his prior work. I count Nebraska as a superior album, I dislike strongly a lot of the synths on BITUSA, something Springsteen has since gone on to say, as often the sound of the album does not reflect the depth of the lyrics. I still prefer the Nebraska outtake of the title track.

I am not necessarily saying his next three albums were as good, and they weren't as bombastic, but musically BITUSA was a very different beast to his first six albums. I also find it the least engaging work of The E Street Band to that point. And I have heard many old school fans who were there from the beginning say the same thing. Plus, Springsteen never revisited the sound of BITUSA and that in itself speaks volumes.

I know plenty of people who were around in the eighties who thought this was his debut and when I played them his older work, they disliked it in comparison, but enjoyed his subsequent work.

Lyrically it does have quite a bit in common with the previous albums in places.

we are completely on the same page.... I wasn't sure where you you were originally going with the comment about "B I T usa" album. many haven't a clue about that song.

I am sure if he redid the album the words would stay the same, but the mode of delivery would change.

cheers

• Like 1

we are completely on the same page.... I wasn't sure where you you were originally going with the comment about "B I T usa" album. many haven't a clue about that song.

I am sure if he redid the album the words would stay the same, but the mode of delivery would change.

cheers

The pomp on the album is justified aside from that song. Had the vocal been more acerbic, I would appreciate it more. Like his venom on his cover of War.

I didn't know you were a Boss fan!

I fully enjoy his music and his message. Not many performers i can't get along with from (up to) mid 90's .... then very selective of the "newer" stuff from artists and which artists.

cheers

• Like 1

I fully enjoy his music and his message. Not many performers i can't get along with from (up to) mid 90's .... then very selective of the "newer" stuff from artists and which artists.

cheers

Really? He is my all time favourite artist...I get picked on loads around here (or at least have been in the past) for loving him so!

Every album, b-side, EP and HUNDREDS of bootlegs and stacks of live stuff...I adore him

• Like 1

Recent Springsteen is patchy, but I love Magic, The Promise (barely counts), The Rising and Wrecking Ball is mostly great.

Recent Springsteen is patchy, but I love Magic, The Promise (barely counts), The Rising and Wrecking Ball is mostly great.

Miley did it better.

• Like 2

Miley did it better.

to true.

Springsteen just needed to swing on actual Wrecking ball.

Mick

• Like 3

Miley did it better.

to true.

Mick

You both need to take a trip to my dreams.

Lolololol

Miley did it better.

to true.

Mick

Aaaack! Somehow brings up image of Bruce in skimpy Miley Cyrus clothing! can.not.un.see . . . . . . :facepalm:

• Like 2

Miley did it better.

to true.

Mick

Fully dressed, of course. :scared:

• Like 2

cheers

Really? He is my all time favourite artist...I get picked on loads around here (or at least have been in the past) for loving him so!

Every album, b-side, EP and HUNDREDS of bootlegs and stacks of live stuff...I adore him

I won't say he is my favourite artist, I have trouble ranking bands/artists for they all have great stuff and also some eggs... Getting picked on for your prefernces is a bit knit picking, lol, personal tastes makes us humans....

I can't stomache M. Jackson... but that doesn't mean i will knock someone who cherishes him.

I place springsteen just a notch below Bob Seger if i was to try ranking him somewhere.

what boots do you recommend for great sounding shows? say 4 from each decade?

cheers

• Like 1

cheers

I won't say he is my favourite artist, I have trouble ranking bands/artists for they all have great stuff and also some eggs... Getting picked on for your prefernces is a bit knit picking, lol, personal tastes makes us humans....

I can't stomache M. Jackson... but that doesn't mean i will knock someone who cherishes him.

I place springsteen just a notch below Bob Seger if i was to try ranking him somewhere.

what boots do you recommend for great sounding shows? say 4 from each decade?

cheers

Springsteen is my favourite solo artist. As for band, Lacuna Coil and Nightwish are my number one! (Coz they is).

Bon Seger...I have to try him!

I can point you to a website full of studio and live bootlegs. When I find it I will PM! I am still exploring his live bootlegs so I cannot really help, but I am sure ReGor can!!

Based on what I've heard, Springsteen's the top of the 'heartland rock' food chain for me, and that's coming from someone who lives in the same county as another one of the absolute biggest artists of that category. I used to like Seger better, but after hearing one great Seger album and three great Springsteen albums, the Seger one is easily my least favorite of the bunch, and a lot of Seger's hits are too samey for me (of course, with all that 80's Boss stuff that's sooooooo popular that's probably not the best argument, and I'm still not a fan of pretty much anything I've heard from Born number 2). Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Based on what I've heard, Springsteen's the top of the 'heartland rock' food chain for me, and that's coming from someone who lives in the same county as another one of the absolute biggest artists of that category. I used to like Seger better, but after hearing one great Seger album and three great Springsteen albums, the Seger one is easily my least favorite of the bunch, and a lot of Seger's hits are too samey for me (of course, with all that 80's Boss stuff that's sooooooo popular that's probably not the best argument, and I'm still not a fan of pretty much anything I've heard from Born number 2).

The BITUSA demo album Murder Inc. can be found online, I like it better, I just wish it had was properly mastered.

Look for the song Murder Inc. Came from the same sessions. Very angry.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Start with Born to Run, then go back to 1973 then forward.

he pretty much did!

Great stuff.

• Like 1

Start with Born to Run, then go back to 1973 then forward.

he pretty much did!

Great stuff.

I went forward a smidge first, but then I went back and liked it better.

• Like 1

So I recently purchased Darkness On The Edge Of Town on iTunes, and I've found I really really love it a lot. It took a good while to sink in, but his guitar work is incredible, the songs are deep and connecting and memorable, the production is perfect, and the rock and roll edge is still there. Just a slight lack of sax in places (like I feel like the moaning at the beginning and end of Something In The Night was originally meant to be Clarence's sax, and maybe would've worked better as such, or maybe as both it would be really cool). I'd say it really vies for my favorite now with Born To Run (which I'd argue has more filler but higher highs, whereas Darkness is practically free of filler but is also consistent at a level slightly below that of Jungleland for instance). TWTIATESS is also a great album, but it just doesn't run as deep as those two for me, though it has much more fun.

I've also just picked up Born 2 for five bucks on vinyl today as I've come to realize over the past few months that I'm not as annoyed and hateful towards the really repetitive hits from it as I used to be, now knowing Bruce a bit better, plus there are a lot of songs on it I've yet to hear until right now (almost halfway through atm). So far I'm thinking I'm not as fond of it as Darkness and Born 1, but it does seem like a great album to just throw on in the car and jam out to while rolling down the road.

• Like 1