That Metal Thread

Dudes, I'm seeing Anthrax tomorrow!!!! My very first show in Toronto!!!

You'll get to see first hand how subdued Canadian fans are. Besides for hockey...

Edited to say: Hell yeah for the 'Thrax!!!

Edited by Pressure/Hopenosis

Dudes, I'm seeing Anthrax tomorrow!!!! My very first show in Toronto!!!

You'll get to see first hand how subdued Canadian fans are. Besides for hockey...

Edited to say: Hell yeah for the 'Thrax!!!

Canadian fans are fine if the show is general admission. If it's reserved seats, then yeah, Canadian concert crowds are lame as hell.

If you can get the Anthrax and Megadeth albums cheap then you may as well go for it. I understand wanting to have a little bit of everything to enjoy but get the ones that are cheaper while they still are that price.

Took your advice, got Spreading The Disease for five bucks.

The first three tracks were good but didn't thrill me...everything else so far is driving me "metal thrashing mad," in the best way possible. I love Anthrax.

• Like 1

So when Gung-Ho came on I was like "oh no they're gonna end this album like full on Slayer and I won't care much for it," but then there were hooks and things, and then the ending thing reminded me why I love Anthrax while I put up with Slayer. The sense of humor is so necessary, and it's so perfect. Not my fav song from the album, but when Anthrax sound better at doing the Slayer thing than Slayer (to my ears), it's a song that's worth my time.

I think my fav though was S.S.C./Stand Or Fall; that's where the record started really talking to me.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

If you can get the Anthrax and Megadeth albums cheap then you may as well go for it. I understand wanting to have a little bit of everything to enjoy but get the ones that are cheaper while they still are that price.

The first three tracks were good but didn't thrill me...everything else so far is driving me "metal thrashing mad," in the best way possible. I love Anthrax.

Odd that you couldn't get into the first three songs. They're great and beloved by the fans. AIR and Madhouse are the two songs they play live most often from the album.

I know you like Anthrax a lot for their melody and those three songs are full of it.

Odd that you couldn't get into the first three songs. They're great and beloved by the fans. AIR and Madhouse are the two songs they play live most often from the album.

I know you like Anthrax a lot for their melody and those three songs are full of it.

I listened back to them again after I finished the album and I liked them a lot better. I think I just needed to hear something like SSC to kick my brain back into metal mode, I'd been listening to a lot of indie-pop yesterday.

TRFers what kind of metal would you classify this as?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j6xwCU-r7Y

I love that album .... an early candidate for best of 2017

It's a solid debut. I'm a fan of the Succumb's record label in general, but it's not even close to my favorite of 2017 cause my number #1 has been this from day 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70wvCM-XpAU

• Like 1

Enjoying Slayer more nowadays, hearing more of what their music has to offer.

Also just got Peace Sells.. :haz:

Anthrax - State Of Euphoria

SEVERLEY underrated, gee...

I like Euphoria, it´s the firdst Anthrax album I bought, and that was one of my first introductions to thrash. Soon I bought Kill em All and South of Heaven, and went on from there. I just don´t think it´s their best. Aside from Antisocial, Be All End All and one or two tunes, I don´t think it´s a good representation of who they are. Even Scott Ian has his reservations about this album - he talks about it in his bio.

It's rated correctly. Be All End All, Antisocial as overplayed as it is and Who Cares Wins are the only songs worth going back to listen to. Like Rod said, the band doesn't care for the album too much. The record company pushed them to quickly release a follow up to Among. The album was rushed to get finished and the band wasn't happy with how it turned out. Luckily, Persistence Of Time is a masterpiece, so the stumble on Euphoria was forgotten about.

• Like 1

I think that Anthrax have mastered the art of sabotaging themselves by caving in to record company pressure. Starting off with State of Euphoria, which was rushed, as J saif. Then they released a massive album (Persistence of Time) which was praised and got significant airplay, but decided to fire their lead singer. Sound of White Noise was awesome, but Stomp 442 and Volume 8 never got the publicity they needed in order to sell, they changed record companies a bunch of times during that period, and two or three lead guitarrists too. When they finally reached stability and released another massive album (We´ve Come for You All), Frankie Bello decided to leave and join Helmet. That was still ok, but then they messed up again: after releasing an album of songs from the Belladonna era sung by John Bush, they decided to do a reunion tour with Belladonna!!!! Granted, the intention was to have both singers, but Bush said no, then left. Then they fired Belladonna again and hired a nobody called Dan Nelson, who toured with them, and recorded a full album before being kicked out. They asked Bush to rejoin, but he only committed to a few live dates. Then Belladonna joined again!!!

They´ve been on a great trend since the release of Worship Music, so let´s hope they don´t do anything stupid soon...

• Like 1

I like Euphoria, it´s the firdst Anthrax album I bought, and that was one of my first introductions to thrash. Soon I bought Kill em All and South of Heaven, and went on from there. I just don´t think it´s their best. Aside from Antisocial, Be All End All and one or two tunes, I don´t think it´s a good representation of who they are. Even Scott Ian has his reservations about this album - he talks about it in his bio.

It's rated correctly. Be All End All, Antisocial as overplayed as it is and Who Cares Wins are the only songs worth going back to listen to. Like Rod said, the band doesn't care for the album too much. The record company pushed them to quickly release a follow up to Among. The album was rushed to get finished and the band wasn't happy with how it turned out. Luckily, Persistence Of Time is a masterpiece, so the stumble on Euphoria was forgotten about.

Well, I'm sorry to say I don't agree with the critics on this one. I'm loving every song a ton and getting a lot of character out of it. It's simultaneously punkier and more progressive than their last two albums, which I find cool. I'll admit many of the songs lack the focus of Among The Living and Spreading The Disease, but to me they make up for it in aggression and depth.

Maybe I'm now just a sucker for Anthrax, even their worst stuff sounds awesome to me, though the production on STD really irks me at times.

I think that Anthrax have mastered the art of sabotaging themselves by caving in to record company pressure. Starting off with State of Euphoria, which was rushed, as J saif. Then they released a massive album (Persistence of Time) which was praised and got significant airplay, but decided to fire their lead singer. Sound of White Noise was awesome, but Stomp 442 and Volume 8 never got the publicity they needed in order to sell, they changed record companies a bunch of times during that period, and two or three lead guitarrists too. When they finally reached stability and released another massive album (We´ve Come for You All), Frankie Bello decided to leave and join Helmet. That was still ok, but then they messed up again: after releasing an album of songs from the Belladonna era sung by John Bush, they decided to do a reunion tour with Belladonna!!!! Granted, the intention was to have both singers, but Bush said no, then left. Then they fired Belladonna again and hired a nobody called Dan Nelson, who toured with them, and recorded a full album before being kicked out. They asked Bush to rejoin, but he only committed to a few live dates. Then Belladonna joined again!!!

They´ve been on a great trend since the release of Worship Music, so let´s hope they don´t do anything stupid soon...

Yeah. Had they had a more stable career, they might have turned out as big as Slayer or Megadeth, or at least not been so often maligned in comparison to the other "big four" bands.

Yeah. Had they had a more stable career, they might have turned out as big as Slayer or Megadeth, or at least not been so often maligned in comparison to the other "big four" bands.

They were as big as Slayer and Megadeth until they got rid of Joey the first time. I would even say that Sound Of White Noise was probably as commercially successful as the most popular Slayer album.

They were as big as Slayer and Megadeth until they got rid of Joey the first time. I would even say that Sound Of White Noise was probably as commercially successful as the most popular Slayer album.

True, but they aren't as big anymore, whereas Megadeth and Slayer both managed to keep up much of their success (with noted variance in quality), Anthrax have only recently reclaimed their fame.

True, but they aren't as big anymore, whereas Megadeth and Slayer both managed to keep up much of their success (with noted variance in quality), Anthrax have only recently reclaimed their fame.

Depending on the market Anthrax will draw between one to two thousand people to a show with Joey back. Megadeth and Slayer may do a little better but they're all about the same level these days. Testament's popularity is probably about the same as Anthrax now.

They lose Joey again they're back to playing piece of shit dive bars that are closing down soon like when I saw them in 2003.

Yeah, I saw them in 2005, on the Greater of Two Evils tour, there were 200 people there. And in 2010 I saw them at the Soundwave Festival in Perth, on a small stage and way down in the bill. Both times with Bush. Compare that to the Big Four show when Joey rejoined... Edited by Rod in Toronto
  • Like 1

Yeah, I saw them in 2005, on the Greater of Two Evils tour, there were 200 people there. And in 2010 I saw them at the Soundwave Festival in Perth, on a small stage and way down in the bill. Both times with Bush. Compare that to the Big Four show when Joey rejoined...

They toured for Greater Of Two Evils?

Where I saw them in 2003 was a place called The Continental it was closing down not too long after this show. Maybe 200-300 max you could fit in there. You walked in, bar on the right, the floor next to it and a stage that was only two feet off the ground on the back wall. It was small, dingy and kind of a crappy place but it was a great show. The crowd was packed so tight that once one person moved there was a ripple effect that got everyone else moving too. Bush performed like he was playing an arena. He was an excellent frontman and had a lot of presence to him. Still don't know how the band was able to fit on that stage. I'm sure they got paid next to nothing since I doubt the venue had much to give at that point. But Scott talked with the crowd at the end of the show and was very appreciative to us all for coming.

Oh yeah, the one bouncer who worked there gave no f***s, so on the last song, Indians, he jumped into the crowd and started moshing with everyone else.

Yeah, I saw them in 2005, on the Greater of Two Evils tour, there were 200 people there. And in 2010 I saw them at the Soundwave Festival in Perth, on a small stage and way down in the bill. Both times with Bush. Compare that to the Big Four show when Joey rejoined...

They toured for Greater Of Two Evils?

Where I saw them in 2003 was a place called The Continental it was closing down not too long after this show. Maybe 200-300 max you could fit in there. You walked in, bar on the right, the floor next to it and a stage that was only two feet off the ground on the back wall. It was small, dingy and kind of a crappy place but it was a great show. The crowd was packed so tight that once one person moved there was a ripple effect that got everyone else moving too. Bush performed like he was playing an arena. He was an excellent frontman and had a lot of presence to him. Still don't know how the band was able to fit on that stage. I'm sure they got paid next to nothing since I doubt the venue had much to give at that point. But Scott talked with the crowd at the end of the show and was very appreciative to us all for coming.

Oh yeah, the one bouncer who worked there gave no f***s, so on the last song, Indians, he jumped into the crowd and started moshing with everyone else.

That must have been quite an experience!!!

They did tour to support that album, and back then Music of Mass Destruction had just been released too. But Frankie Bello was with Helmet, so the bass player was Joey Vera. I've seen them six or seven times, but NEVER with the same lineup. Weird, huh?

• Like 1