That Metal Thread

I was having trouble getting to sleep last night, so I dialed up HEAVY: the History of Metal - parts 2 and 4. I know the whole thing is kind of a watered down cheesy VH1 thing, but I liked it.

And I've been on such an old-school 70s-and-80s hard rock/metal kick the past few months, so it was perfect.

Katatonia. Cool death metal band. Sweeds

Where should I start with these guys? What album

I should clarify that Katatonia used to be a death/doom metal band but for the past 20 years they've become more of a gothic, doom metal/rock band but in more recent years added prog into their sound.

Where to start depends on whether or not you like death growls that were prominent in their first 2 albums (and several more EPs during that era) if you like them then start with Brave Murder Day. If you're not into them, then I'd suggest Discouraged Ones cause it's pretty much like BMD but with only clean vocals. From there, you could try Last Fair Deal Gone Down or The Great Cold Distance.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Here's a newer metal band I've heard many great things about that until recently that I've never heard of but like Power Trip, they're a band that's been getting a lot of press in the sort of Decibel circle of underground metal so I figured I'd share this to see if anyone else would dig this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNl_18Kr56g

Im a fan of pallbearer. Listening to the new one right now actually

In a way they remind me of a doomier mastodon i guess

• Like 1

Here's a newer metal band I've heard many great things about that until recently that I've never heard of but like Power Trip, they're a band that's been getting a lot of press in the sort of Decibel circle of underground metal so I figured I'd share this to see if anyone else would dig this band:

I'm on the penultimate track. Really good stuff! I don't think they sound like Mastodon (not even Baroness either) but their rise to acclaim is uncanny. I actually prefer Heartless to the last Mastodon album.

I've recently fallen in love with "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" by Megadeth and planned a trip out to a local record store I found nea my university using the bus system to see if they had Rust In Peace (or just any classic metal) for a cheaper price than iTunes on CD (or vinyl if I were really lucky). Sadly I walked out having spent four dollars on REM's Life's Rich Pageant and no budget for admitting defeat and buying the iTunes version.

So I'll now be spending each day until I have he budget to get it dreaming about getting it and not giving into the urge to listen through it again on Spotify so I'll be happier when I have it.

Am I crazy?

• Like 2

Rust In Peace

The whole album is metal perfection.

Every metal fan should own it.

Quit tempting me to spend money I don't have just because something is essential. :P

I really want it though.

Rust In Peace

Quit tempting me to spend money I don't have just because something is essential. :P

I really want it though.

Rust In Peace is worth spending money you don't have. It's not like it will put you in a hole you can't get out of like a stupid expensive concert ticket or something. Probably the most insane, yet great thrash metal guitar playing you'll ever hear. You may ask yourself how it's possible for Mustaine to have wrote and be able to play such things? Well, the answer is, cocaine is a hell of a drug. Mustaine can still play the songs really damn good live even though he's clean. Don't think an album like this would have happened though if he wasn't so coked/drunk out of mind back then.

As for the band Pallbearer, i've heard the first two albums and enjoyed them. But that really slow doomy pace can get me kind of bored when listening to it. Not sure they would ever be a band who got regular rotation with me. That song is pretty good though.

Edited by J2112YYZ

As for the band Pallbearer, i've heard the first two albums and enjoyed them. But that really slow doomy pace can get me kind of bored when listening to it. Not sure they would ever be a band who got regular rotation with me. I know bands of that genre are hugely influenced by Sabbath but damn, at least Sabbath knew you had to pick up the pace a little bit :LOL:

Oh boy, I'm quite afraid to ask your opinion of the band Sleep now... :LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBXuOFwF17o

Anybody who is a fan of Dream Theater seriously needs to pick up the album that guitarist Tim Donahue did with James LaBrie. The entire album is a masterpiece from start to finish and the track Children Of The Flame is just one of the many great songs on this album. If you ever thought that Dream Theater at times became too reliant on wankery and shredding, then this album is absolutely perfect for you as while there is some wankery, it's not overly excessive and I believe that it showcases the best of James LaBrie's vocal abilities...I honestly wish he sang that way more with Dream Theater.

I'm on the penultimate track. Really good stuff! I don't think they sound like Mastodon (not even Baroness either) but their rise to acclaim is uncanny. I actually prefer Heartless to the last Mastodon album.

Me too but i hated the last mastodon lol.

The new pallbearer is realky good imo. They have really refined the sound alot each of the last 2 . But i like the direction and will follow this band for sure. In a croweded genre they have found a fresh sound, imo.

Also, polarizeme have you ever heard of a band calked warning? Older doom band that is a little ibscure but worth researching. The vocalist is one of my favorites ever. If you have time try the album strength to dream.

Pretty jealous of your fear factory shows custom

They are one if my favorites for years.

I love the fear is the mindkiller remix album. Frekin blew my mind first time i heard i heard it

Rust In Peace

I really want it though.

Rust In Peace is worth spending money you don't have. It's not like it will put you in a hole you can't get out of like a stupid expensive concert ticket or something. Probably the most insane, yet great thrash metal guitar playing you'll ever hear. You may ask yourself how it's possible for Mustaine to have wrote and be able to play such things? Well, the answer is, cocaine is a hell of a drug. Mustaine can still play the songs really damn good live even though he's clean. Don't think an album like this would have happened though if he wasn't so coked/drunk out of mind back then.

As for the band Pallbearer, i've heard the first two albums and enjoyed them. But that really slow doomy pace can get me kind of bored when listening to it. Not sure they would ever be a band who got regular rotation with me. That song is pretty good though.

Okay...gah...eh...I need to make a plan for how I'm going to get all of these metal essentials I just started liking...I need to have at least one album from each of the super big classic metal bands and thrash bands (so Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, 'Tallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer...and maybe Motorhead and Pantera as well) within the next six months. As of now I only have a collection of 90s Maiden tracks, Anthrax - Among The Living, Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance, and Metallica - ...And Justice For All in the way of full metal albums.

I've also just realized how awesome it would be to get Symphony Of Destruction (so then all of Countdown To Extinction) around summertime or vacation this year, it just sounds like music I could really connect to vacation...so with that in mind, maybe I won't be spoiling myself to much if I just go ahead and snag Rust In Peace on iTunes right now....

$7.99 is still about five dollars more than I really have set aside for music...but it's my money and dang it I can make it work.

I'm buying it.

Rust In Peace

I really want it though.

Okay...gah...eh...I need to make a plan for how I'm going to get all of these metal essentials I just started liking...I need to have at least one album from each of the super big classic metal bands and thrash bands (so Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, 'Tallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer...and maybe Motorhead and Pantera as well) within the next six months. As of now I only have a collection of 90s Maiden tracks, Anthrax - Among The Living, Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance, and Metallica - ...And Justice For All in the way of full metal albums.

I've also just realized how awesome it would be to get Symphony Of Destruction (so then all of Countdown To Extinction) around summertime or vacation this year, it just sounds like music I could really connect to vacation...so with that in mind, maybe I won't be spoiling myself to much if I just go ahead and snag Rust In Peace on iTunes right now....

$7.99 is still about five dollars more than I really have set aside for music...but it's my money and dang it I can make it work.

I'm buying it.

I hope they offer the original recording and not just the remaster. The remaster sucks. A lot of the old recordings were lost, so Mustaine redid a lot of the guitars and vocals. The album really lost a lot of its feel with the remaster.

Same with the other Megadeth albums from the 80s. Get the originals.

Rust In Peace

I really want it though.

I'm buying it.

I hope they offer the original recording and not just the remaster. The remaster sucks. A lot of the old recordings were lost, so Mustaine redid a lot of the guitars and vocals. The album really lost a lot of its feel with the remaster.

Same with the other Megadeth albums from the 80s. Get the originals.

Pretty sure it's the original. One of the top reviews says it is. Sounds great to me!

Maybe I could get my dad into this; it's a lot more melodic than the other thrash bands. It's really more akin to Dream Theater than, say Ride The Lightning. Dad loves Dream Theater....hm.

Also, polarizeme have you ever heard of a band calked warning? Older doom band that is a little ibscure but worth researching. The vocalist is one of my favorites ever. If you have time try the album strength to dream.

Honestly no I haven't. My knowledge of doom metal doesn't go far beyond Sleep's Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker, Electric Wizard's Dopethrone, Yob's The Illusion Of Motion, early Katatonia, Paradise Lost, a bit of Swallow The Sun and a basic knowledge of who Cathedral and Esoteric are.

I'll check Warning out when I've got the time, though! :haz:

• Like 1

So, as I slowly attempt to amass a respectable beginner's metal collection, I am finding myself conflicted about my next steps. On one hand, I don't yet have any albums by Slayer, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Pantera, Rainbow, or Dio (among numerous others), though I have heard albums from nearly all of those bands via Spotify or library CDs. On the other hand, I like to buy things that are very cheap, and many of the big albums by those bands are usually more expensive than I'd like. In addition, certain Anthrax and Megadeth albums are much easier to find for cheap and I know I love Among The Living and Rust In Peace to death already...so here's the decision I'm faced with.

Do I ignore the gaps in essential bands/releases in my collection and shoot for cheaper albums by Anthrax or Megadeth even though I've already got an album from each of them, or do I shoot for grabbing some more essential releases by bands I don't have any of yet before I start expanding on bands I already have?

tl;dr

I can't decide if I want to shoot for a more expensive Sabbath or Slayer or Maiden album before I grab another cheaper Anthrax or Megadeth. Suggestions?

• Like 1

If you can get the Anthrax and Megadeth albums cheap then you may as well go for it. I understand wanting to have a little bit of everything to enjoy but get the ones that are cheaper while they still are that price.
  • Like 1