That Metal Thread

Has anyone heard of a band from Scotland called, The Almighty?

They put out albums from 1989 to 2002 (I think).

Ricky Warwick from Black Star Riders was the lead singer.

I've always enjoyed their music...part metal, part punk...good stuff.

Nightwish got a 10/10 live review in Metal Hammer, the concert I went too:

The headliners tonight have long since been packing out arenas across Europe, so on its own, the sold-out capacity of Wembley should not be news. But this is Britain, and female clean vocals, lush symphonics and a musical style that owes more to Stratovarius than Slayer has historically been less fashionable than nostril hairs in omelettes here. So that the second Finnish act of the night are not just here but ramming the place to the gills with fans ready to go nuts is exceptional. And of course NIGHTWISH [10], with years of practice at this, don’t just look comfortable, they look like they f***ing own the place.

The list of everything Nightwish have going for them tonight is impressively large – as you would expect from a band well experienced at this level. They’ve got a back catalogue so fantastic at this point that they can leave out an entire album of hits (Wishmaster material is nowhere to be seen) and not play a duff song all night. They have a spectacular stage show that demands the big venue, from the choreographed jets of flame punctuating I Want My Tears Back to the perfectly synced back projections playing throughout, but most effective during Alpenglow. They’re musically flawless, Floor Jansen sounding several million dollars, and everyone else superbly building the platform for her to strut her vocal mastery. There’s even a dose of wit, the band’s resident Brit Troy Donockley announcing My Walden with the line “Forgive me, but I’ve wanted to say this since I was nine years old: GOOD EVENING, WEMBLEY!”

But it’s the emotional punch Nightwish carry that makes tonight special, that unites thousands of people into one cohesive crowd, that makes grown men cry during a heartbreaking The Poet & The Pendulum, and makes everyone grin cheesily for Last Ride Of The Day. There is an unselfconscious injection of passion that doesn’t give two shits about potentially looking ridiculous or revealing too much of themselves, and it’s what creates the kind of atmosphere that could vanish in a venue this vast, but tonight is sustained with ease from beginning to end.

And what an end it is at that. It takes balls of solid rock to try and write a 24-minute-long symphonic paean to humanism, empiricism and the glory of evolution, but to finish your show on it takes a special kind of gonad. Tonight, with Professor Richard Dawkins himself joining them on stage for the closing narration, Nightwish earn the right to play The Greatest Show On Earth.

Whether it is the couple clutching each other in mutual bliss, or the drunk bloke dancing on his own without inhibition, the lady in the Black Sabbath shirt singing like no one is watching during Nemo, or the awestruck-looking child quite probably at their first gig, the scenes around Wembley are not what a casual observer might expect. This does not look like a band making their first splash in a UK arena. This looks like a band that was born to be here, and has spent 15 years making sure that, when they get here, they are so ready that they are not ashamed to stand amongst the mighty company they now walk with.

Look at the crowd and not the stage, and you could be forgiven for mistaking this for an Iron Maiden show. From the numbers, the raw emotion on people’s faces and the fact that no one is bored after a two-hour set, and this could be Britain’s favourite metal sons. Look at the stage, see a world-famous scientist quoting Darwin in front of the drummer from Wintersun, and hear those songs, and it could only possibly be Nightwish proving they belong on the biggest of stages. Glorious.

FINAL VERDICT: 10/10

• Like 1

Looks like new deftones drops 4/8

Looking forward to this release

Me too. Honestly all their recent releases have been strong. Not seeing a let down coming

The tentative title for the new Testament album is The Brotherhood Of The Snake. The title track will be released as the first single. No definite date on anything yet. Just that the album will be out later this year.

It's been four years since Dark Roots, they need to get up off their lazy asses and get the new one done already.

• Like 2

The tentative title for the new Testament album is The Brotherhood Of The Snake. The title track will be released as the first single. No definite date on anything yet. Just that the album will be out later this year.

It's been four years since Dark Roots, they need to get up off their lazy asses and get the new one done already.

If the new album is at least half as good as Dark Roots, we're in for a treat!

• Like 1

If the new album is at least half as good as Dark Roots, we're in for a treat!

I agree with that! Dark roots was outstanding. Hard to believe its been 4 years though..

Testament was working on it last year and it was supposed to be out then. But they did a tour where they played their first two albums in full and it got delayed. Now they're about to go on the road with Slayer. So when exactly is this thing coming out?

Anthrax + Maiden in 14 days...Accept on April 09th...Symphony X on May 08th...yyyyyesssssss!!!!!!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

12 Days until Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies (with Dave Lombardo), Havok, and Children of Bodom. Planning on visiting the Niagara Falls state park after getting there early too.

Killer lineup!!!!

I not sure if anything has been posted about this band but I've always had a liking for this band PRONG. They were a Three piece band not sure if they still are today....here's one of their earlier tracks called....Unconditional

• Like 1

It's finally out: Sindrome's "Resurrection - The Complete Collection" is available now via Century Media. This retrospective collection is available as a ltd. 2CD Digipak (with 36-page booklet), LP (+ bonus live CD and 16-page LP-booklet) as well as digital download.

It includes Sindrome's two demo recordings "Into The Halls Of Extermination" (plus the unreleased track "Brought To The End") and "Vault Of Inner Conscience" as well as a raw live recording from 1988 with the two bonus tracks "Surround The Prisoner" and "Psychic Warfare" that have never been recorded in a studio.

Both physical versions come with an extensive interview by Laurent Ramadier (Snakepit Magazine) with Sindrome's vocalist Troy Dixler, an introduction by Metallion (editor of Slayer Magazine), all lyrics and a load of photos, flyers and additional artwork.

Jed Simon (Strapping Young Lad / Armoros / Scar The Martyr) comments: "Sindrome! Those were the good days, man. I still have my 'Halls' demo ... and right away I think of the title song ... killer intro, and I can't help but wonder if young Morbid Angel were listening to this, too. Way ahead of its time and still ripping! The other song I love is Precognition, just a perfect blend of thrash and death....way before death was a thing. Sindrome! Horns way up high!"

Tony Portaro (Whiplash) adds: "Whiplash had a string of shows with Sindrome in the late eighties. One of the songs in their set was "Cathedral of Ice". I'll never forget the insane effects on Troy's vocal. The soundman had a killer echo effect and he must have pumped the volume, because the hall would shake during every chorus."

The post above is about an old thrash band. I had the demos in question from a download. They are excellent imo. If you like old megadeth , testament and anthrax etc you should enjoy

New cult of luna in april i read....

My body is ready

It's a collab album with Julie Christmas formerly of Made Out Of Babies who were signed to Neurot (Neurosis' own record label). They're also playing a few shows in Europe for the 10th anniversary of Somewhere Along The Highway which I'm quite sad about cause that's my favorite album of theirs.

I chose not to see them last September when they came to the US. I chose to see a two nighter of Old Man Gloom at St. Vitus down in Brooklyn the same week they were playing NYC. T'was lucky to catch them by dumb luck in 2013 during that awkward bill with Katatonia, Intronaut, and TesseracT (whom I ended up not liking much in hindsight) but sadly I didn't get them nor "post-metal" music till a few months later so I didn't enjoy CoL as much as I could have.

• Like 1

New cult of luna in april i read....

My body is ready

It's a collab album with Julie Christmas formerly of Made Out Of Babies who were signed to Neurot (Neurosis' own record label). They're also playing a few shows in Europe for the 10th anniversary of Somewhere Along The Highway which I'm quite sad about cause that's my favorite album of theirs.

I chose not to see them last September when they came to the US. I chose to see a two nighter of Old Man Gloom at St. Vitus down in Brooklyn the same week they were playing NYC. T'was lucky to catch them by dumb luck in 2013 during that awkward bill with Katatonia, Intronaut, and TesseracT (whom I ended up not liking much in hindsight) but sadly I didn't get them nor "post-metal" music till a few months later so I didn't enjoy CoL as much as I could have.

I would love to see that anniv show also.

Ive never seen them, but such is life.

I was lucky enough to see isis back in the day at a small club. Pelican was the warm up